Dems - Defend your Senators holding the budget bill hostage

Ahhh, don’t tease like that!

Those who didn’t vote for Orangeanus Deploribus and his enablers have nothing for which to be forgiven. Those who did are beyond hope of forgiveness.

One of the latest memes: “If you’ve ever wondered what you would have done during slavery, the Holocaust, or the civil rights movement, you’re doing it now.”

Ouch. Likely true.

nm

Elected Democrats have chosen to shut down the U.S. government in order to show their support for ILLEGAL ALIENS.

The welfare of ILLEGAL ALIENS is more important to them than the welfare of American citizens.

Vote accordingly.

LOL! The simple binary world you live in must really be a comfort for you, huh?

Huh. I had no idea that Democrats controlled the House, Senate, and the Presidency. I was under the impression that those bodies all had Republican majorities.

Elected Republicans have chosen to shut down the U.S. government in order to remove healthcare for CHILDREN.

The punishment of CHILDREN is more important to them than the welfare of innocents.

Vote accordingly.

Trump gave Congress a club when he repealed DACA. They just beat themselves over the head with it.

Trump says the President should be blamed for a government shutdown.

Ummm … I’m pretty sure the House-passed bill funded CHIP, and it got most Republican votes and was opposed by most Democrats. YMMV, but I think you’re supposed to be arguing about illegal immigrants right now, not healthcare for children.

Heck if I know- I’ve been watching CNN, and they only offer 24 hour coverage of Donald Trump anymore. Back around the New Year they changed the subject for 5 minutes to discuss the legalization of pot in California. I remember I was so surprised to see something other than Trump on CNN, I texted my gf! But that was 3 weeks ago…

Anyway, there’s 100 members of the Senate. The majority controls what comes to a vote, but can’t pass anything without some minority support. So, they have to give something to the minority to get that support. Being in the minority doesn’t make them slaves, hasn’t since 1865. So to me, the pubbies are not acknowledging political reality, though the Dems do realistically share some blame. They could just roll over, sure.

But, political reality again. The polls I see show 75-90% public support for DACA. It is a very small minority who takes the cruel view that the Dreamers are ILLEGAL ALIENS, full stop, as if there simply isn’t more to the story (ever notice how central omission is to the conservative world view? Anyone?) Being a representative democracy, why is the party in power so obstinantly resistant to enacting the will of the people? Oh yeah, a small number of very rich GOP donors have a raging hate-on against brown people and cling to any excuse to have them put in chains, put on trains and shipped to Mexico City to be dumped off unceremoniously, maybe with “you’re on your own!” barked at them as the boot shoves them out the door. That’s what the oligarchy wants, and so we have a shutdown. Oligarchy really isn’t the Spirit of America if you ask me, but then again, back in 1860, a lot of voices were politically irrelevant and the nation was cruel to brown people, so there ya go.

And of course, back in 2013 if Obama could have done something unilaterally to raise the debt ceiling and avoid a shutdown, I think he would have. He didn’t want the shutdown. This time, Trump could just choose to leave DACA alone, but he won’t.

So: Trump shutdown. There ya go.

Thanks. I needed that today. :slight_smile:

Yeah, but that was only before HE was President. Now, however, it’s obviously the Democrats fault. It has nothing to do with the President at all. :rolleyes:

I agree. All ~80% of Americans who expressed support for DACA should vote for Democrats.

That was for “kicking the can down the road” bill. The Democrats continue to point out that it should be a proper resolution.

That’s a fine point, but given that most Republicans voted for a bill that would have both averted a shutdown and funded CHIP, I’m not sure there’s very much sense in arguing that “Elected Republicans have chosen to shut down the U.S. government in order to remove healthcare for CHILDREN.” Do you see how silly that seems?

The shut down is never a good idea for the minority party and shutting things down for DACA a group few citizens care about is going to cost Democrats.

While the media is mostly a Democratic spin machine, you’ve got to justify a stoppage with points people care about.

87% in favor of DACA.

That’s your definition of a few?

In 2013, the GOP shut the government down for 16 days. They went on to win big in the midterms. I don’t think the Democrats have much to worry about, politically, no matter who ends up getting blamed.