Describe your worst ever heartbreak

By “heartbreak” I’m not talking about bereavement or non-romantic causes of upset. And I don’t mean feeling a bit sad for a couple of weeks because you broke up with someone - I’m talking about the crippling state of your world crashing down around you, that affects your daily life, your work, your relationships with others, caused by the ending of a romantic relationship. (If you’ve experienced it, you know what this means.)

1. How long ago was it?

2. Do you feel that you are over it now?

3. If you are over it, how long did it take for you to get over it?

4. If you are over it, did you do anything proactive to help or accelerate your recovery?

5. If you have had subsequent relationship/s break down, how did your worst ever heartbreak differ?

6. Would you say, in the long run, that the heartbreak was a positive experience?

7. What have you learned from it?

8. If you want to, feel free to give the details, as anonymized as you wish, of what happened.

9. Finally the clincher question: if you met the cause of your heartbreak now, how would this make you feel?

1. How long ago was it?

Earlier this year, when my wife left.

Nope. But I haven’t given up hope entirely, as we are in counseling and sort-of dating.

6. Would you say, in the long run, that the heartbreak was a positive experience?

It brought to the fore a number of issues that had been simmering for a while, so yes, I’d say it that her leaving was a good thing in some ways. That said, I am still freaking furious at her for doing so at times.

I’m aware of both of our flaws more than I was.

8. If you want to, feel free to give the details, as anonymized as you wish, of what happened.

There’s tons of reasons. Her mental health is a big part of it. My tendency to be a controlling and emotionally distant bastard is another part of it. The reason she gave at the time was, she now admits, almost entirely a fabrication, which makes the reconciliation harder.

9. Finally the clincher question: if you met the cause of your heartbreak now, how would this make you feel?

I still love her. I’d die for her. I’d kill for her. But I’m not sure I want her back.

This has happened to me twice, but I’ll answer the questions for the first time.

**1. How long ago was it? **
24 years

**2. Do you feel that you are over it now? **
Definitely

About a year, more or less, with the problems mentioned in the OP lessening gradually over that year.

4. If you are over it, did you do anything proactive to help or accelerate your recovery?
Counseling, self-talk, new relationship

5. If you have had subsequent relationship/s break down, how did your worst ever heartbreak differ?
Well, the first one resulted in my losing my faith (which would have been inevitable in any case) and was a major turning point in my life for several reasons. The others were sad and bittersweet, but nothing earth-shattering resulted.

No, not really.

To listen to my intuition–I wanted to end the relationship before we got married, including when I was walking down the aisle, but continued it anyway.

First husband left me for a friend of mine.

I’d feel nothing. I don’t care about him at all anymore and have wished him the best for years.

1. How long ago was it?

Basically yes, although for reasons I don’t want to get into there are still some inevitable reminders and on rare occasions I do still get a bit down about it. Just a bit.

I think it was 1997 when I first began to feel “over it”.

Lots :wink:

Of the three serious relationships I’ve had since, in two of them I wasn’t the heartbroken one. In the other, it didn’t really break down so much as fizzle out because we were living so far apart we just kind of inevitably went our separate ways. I was sad about that but it wasn’t soul-destroying in the way the first one was.

No, it pretty much totally sucked.

I’m not sure I learned anything from it. I haven’t fallen for anyone quite so hard since, but I don’t consider that something I “learned” not to do. Maybe it is though. I dunno.

After three years of a pretty torrid relationship he just decided he didn’t want to be part of it anymore. It came completely out of the blue - I remember just a few days earlier running into an old friend of mine and telling her how great things were going. I totally didn’t see it coming and I was absolutely shellshocked, and numb for a few days until it sank in, at which point I was a basket case for months.

Four years later - I’d moved away by then but was back for a few days’ visit - I ran into him, he asked me out for a drink, we went out, we drank, we talked, we cried, he accepted that he’d fucked up something good, I went home, he dropped a couple hints that I should come back, I ignored his hints (this was the point at which Question 3 becomes relevant) and I haven’t seen him since, though we exchanged the odd platonic email up til about five years ago. I had the chance to meet up with him then when I was back in town but I decided to blow him off to hang out with my ex-flatmate, who didn’t get along with him. He never answered my next email which is fair enough. I kind of feel like at the end of the day, I won, if that makes any sense.

Well, if I was able to survive it four years after the fact I’m sure I could do so 16 years after the fact. But I’d probably still feel something of a lingering sadness.

1. How long ago was it?
A little over 10 years ago.

Definitely.

The worst of it lasted nearly three months, but there were lingering issues for much longer than that.

Part of it had to do with the fact that he came running back a few months later, admitting he’d screwed up and begging for a second chance.
I refused to consider it until we’d had a long, honest discussion about what went wrong and what we could do to avoid making those mistakes again - up 'til then, I’d had no answers from him beyond “it’s not working for me”.
Knowing that “it’s not working for me” was code for “I wanted to bang my roommate but didn’t want to cheat on you” helped a lot… I went from heartbroken to spitting mad pretty damn quick.

It was the only truly unilateral breakup I’ve ever been through. I genuinely believed we were happy and in love and doing just fine, right up to the moment he sat me down and said it was over.
Nearly every breakup since then has been mutual or of my own doing. I’ve still been sad afterwards, but never completely shattered like I was that first time around.

Kinda sorta. I learned a lot about myself in the process, but I effectively destroyed my academic career and my credit score at the same time.

Being part of a couple means leaning on each other from time to time, but still being able to stand on your own two feet when necessary. My SO cannot be the sole source of happiness in my life.

He was my first love. I think that pretty much covers it.

**9. Finally the clincher question: if you met the cause of your heartbreak now, how would this make you feel? **
It’s a bit of an unusual situation, because in the end, I did give him that second chance. We made a go of it for a little over a year before we decided that we were making each other miserable and called it quits.
Since all the loose ends got tied up with the second breakup, we’re actually on fairly decent terms nowadays. I’ll always love him, but just in a warm fuzzy nostalgic sort of way… no way we’d ever hook up again.

1. How long ago was it?

15 years ago

Yes.

About 8 years.

Not really. I met someone else and got married. But the same spark is not there, I approached this one from a more practical viewpoint (yeah, I know, such a romantic I am.)

Subsequent relationships just didn’t have the same emotional intensity. So the breakups were much less important.

No.

That a broken heart can be like real physical damage, I don’t feel I have the capacity for “heart” anymore. Also, that the condition of broken heart can be contagious. If you suffer from it, if you are not careful you can easily pass it on to others.

Nah, it’s really not relevant.

9. Finally the clincher question: if you met the cause of your heartbreak now, how would this make you feel?**

Old and shrunken. I’m sure I would enjoy seeing them, but I would rather not, because I would be reminded of how far away from them I have grown.

1. Just hit the 20th anniversary this year.
  2. Mostly
  3. It took me a couple years to really come to terms with the role I played and what I actually had to learn from the experience
  4. I began writing my first screenplay
  5. The difference was I never learned what happened on her end. She just ended it, and while I may have intuited “why”, there were still lots of questions that remain (to this day) unanswered
  6. Absolutely
  7. Too many things to list, but they include: what “love” actually means (to me), what value I have to contribute to a relationship, and my bad habits and tendencies that I’m better aware of now
  8. Classicly cliched–blindsided by a Dear John letter, “It’s not you, it’s me”, standing pathetically at a pay phone in the pouring rain, the awkward final “talk” (on Easter eve, with her family looming) that discloses nothing, falling on my sword to spare her any discomfort, and that final confirmation–opaque yet unequivocal–that she wants no contact ever again.
  9. This question haunts me the most. She represented a seminal turning point in my life and was one of the most important people who has ever influenced me. And I can’t think of a single reason why she would feel the same. So while seeing her again would bring me joy–she was a beautiful person, inside & out–I don’t have any confidence that the feeling would be mutual. And while every question I’d ask (“How have you been?”, "How are you doing?, etc) would come from the heart, I have my suspicion that for her, it would be standard Catching-Up boilerplate to fill that awkward, unexpected silence. I can honestly say she’s the only woman I never, ever lied to, so part of me would rather not speak to her at all than to reconnect if all I’m exposed to is vacuous formalities from her. It’s not that she would be insincere–it’s just that, not knowing anything of how she felt toward the end or when things changed for her, I’m compelled to go with the only thing I “know”: that she was more comfortable telling me what she thought I wanted to her, rather than telling me the truth. Her legacy is that I don’t feel like I can trust anything she has to say, because she’s as likely to say something to “be nice”, regardless of how genuine it is. I would love for us to be friends, but she sewed these seeds of suspicion in me that will probably never go away; I understand she did what she did because she had to, and I don’t begrudge her this for an instant. But it means that, if I were to see her again, face-to-face, I have no idea how I would react. And I hate that, after all these years, she still has the power (probably without even realizing it) and I still feel helpless and vulnerable. Facts are, our paths are very unlikely to ever cross again. And I’m not sure if that makes me glad or not.

1. How long ago was it?
It ended in 2008.

Yes.

Not sure. Maybe half a year to be completely over it.

I started dating someone else almost right after we broke up.

I’d had breakups before this one, but none that brought so much despair. I felt utterly betrayed after this one.

I would say that because I’m very happy in my current relationship. For the longest time after the breakup I was still convinced it could’ve worked if he’d only grown some balls before the end, but then I realized I was wishing he were a different person altogether.

People don’t change. Also, there’s no such things as “I MUST be with THIS person or I shall DIE” in this world, even though it may feel like it at the time.

We had an affair (on his part, anyway, I was single at the time) that lasted for two years, ending when I discovered he’d lied about breaking up with his girlfriend. He’d even proposed to me somewhere along the way. It’s a long story.

[/QUOTE]

Dunno. Curious as to how he feels about his life now, I suppose.

1. How long ago was it?

I think so. I’m over that particular relationship with that particular person, but there are things that still influence and affect me.

Years. Maybe three years.

I enacted an indefinite moratorium on relationships. For a long time, that also included dates of any kind.

So far, I haven’t dated anyone long enough to consider my time with him a “relationship.” I’ve been almost Seinfeldian in my ability to finds things I don’t like about someone.

Yes and no. Yes, in that I’m more sure of myself and less likely to be a doormat. No, in that I’m extremely cautious about opening up and letting myself trust. I’m still trying to talk myself out of believing that the work and compromise required in a relationship aren’t worth what you get out of it.

That I can say no, I can have my own friends, either of us wanting a night off doesn’t mean we don’t care about each other, and being upset about something a guy does or doesn’t do doesn’t automatically mean I’m crazy and overreacting.

He broke up with me at his place after we watched a romantic comedy, that he picked. He said if he didn’t break up with me right then, I’d never break up with him. My heart actually hurt for hours afterward, and on and off the next day.

Angry. I wish that I could hope he’s happy, that I could be the bigger person, but I really hope he’s as miserable as he made me and someone has or will break his heart the way he broke mine.

I’ve been on three dates with a guy I like so far, and now I’m starting to wonder if that’s such a good idea. Dammit.

1. How long ago was it?
20 years ago this past summer.

Definitely.

Well, it was actually a long, drawn-out break up. We were away at separate schools and she wanted to date someone else. We broke up, but she still kept coming for conjugal visits. But she still had this other boyfriend, who didn’t know where she was going on the weekends. So that was nine months, then it only took me a couple months and a few not-so-serious affairs to straighten myself out. But even a couple years later I’d still think maybe she was The One and I screwed it up.

The limbo (from #3) lasted the whole school year, until I decided I would not come home that summer. I knew if we were back together, it would start up all over again. Interestingly, on our final date, when I made that decision, we saw “Say Anything.” I thought it offered us hope, she turned all moody, and I said sayonara.

If my marriage of 19 years comes apart, I don’t think it would affect me so greatly. I was just young and kind of immature.
6. Would you say, in the long run, that the heartbreak was a positive experience?**
Yes, taught me how to buck up and get things done no matter how I felt deep down. Because I almost destroyed my college career and several friendships over it. There’s a time for crying by yourself later.

See number 6.

See number 3.

**9. Finally the clincher question: if you met the cause of your heartbreak now, how would this make you feel?
**We’re Facebook friends. I am delighted to report that we definitely did the right thing. I couldn’t be married to an elementary-school teacher who belongs to the group “I Love Jebus”. :rolleyes: I have nothing against people who do, just those who announce it on FB.

1. How long ago was it?

Seven years ago.

Oh, yes, definitely.

A couple of years, I’d say.

Honestly I can’t think of anything besides moving several states away. Otherwise, I think it was just a matter of time giving me some perspective on what had happened.

I wasn’t surprised by the last one. It was sad, and I was a mess, but it wasn’t the nuclear bomb the big one was. Things just weren’t working out.

Yes. If I survived that, I can survive anything romance-related. And I can’t see things having worked out long-term given the situation that led to the end of it, that I didn’t know about until it was too late.

See question 6.

The short version? Met, fell head over heels, got engaged…went to meet the parents, then when we got home (we weren’t living together yet, fortunately) he was told by his parents that they didn’t approve of me (after they were civil enough to me) and they wouldn’t come to the wedding. So he ended the engagement. Right there and then. Because his parents didn’t approve. He was 41 at the time.

Queasy. Sometimes I wonder how he’s doing, but if I never see or speak to him again, it’ll be too soon. I wonder if he’s ever figured out how screwed-up his relationship with his parents is (or was at the time).

1. How long ago was it?

20 years ago.

Sure.

20 years? Here’s the thing: this breakup was significant because, immediately afterwards, I went into what I didn’t realize at the time was clinical depression. I was in college, and after her breakup I lost all interest in… everything. Stopped going to class, stopped studying, etc. I flunked out of college. I’m not saying that my breakup with Kathleen caused my 20-year battle with clinical depression; I’m just saying that it surfaced at this time.

I’m over it in the sense that I’ve dated other women since her (and even married one and we remain happily married after 12+ years).

All were difficult, but honestly none have compared to the Kathleen breakup. I’m not kidding when I say that we would probably be married (to each other) right now if things had gone differently.

No, I would not. The depression that surfaced around the time of this breakup has led me to make a number of bad decisions.

That I should have gotten on Prozac 20 years ago and that my life would be completely different now if I had.

We dated in college. We were intensely in love, and we saw a future together. But she wanted to fuck, and I wanted to wait. We argued about it a few times, until she got sick of arguing about it, and we broke up. Looking back on it it was a stupid thing (of me) to do; I fucked other girls before her and I fucked other girls after her. I don’t know what my hangup was with her, but for whatever reason I didn’t want to do it and it cost me my relationship with her.

I doubt I’d even recognize her, and if I did, I’d probably just think of her as another face in the crowd.

1. How long ago was it?

Two years ago.

I don’t think anyone ever gets completely over something like that, just like one never completely recovers from the death of a loved one. As far as what you’re actually asking with this question though, the answer is yes.

Took about a year or so. It’s hard to say because it’s not a black and white thing and the last few months of that year were varying degrees of “mostly over it.”

Counselling, prayer and other spiritual work. Even though I didn’t really feel much like it, spending time with other people and making other changes in my life helped a lot too.

Really, the only difference seems to be the intensity of the emotions, the severity of the impact on my life, and the duration.

In this case, it’s a really difficult question to answer. In almost any other circumstance, I would say these sorts of things are ultimately positive experience but this one has some complications. On the one side, I do think I gained a lot of perspective on myself, my place in the world, relationships and all that. I also learned a lot of valuable lessons. On the other hand, as part of the ending and break up of the relationship I got severely burned out which set back my PhD and ultimately my career by a couple years because I didn’t have the energy or motivation to do school for the last part of the relationship or in the year recovering and even now it’s hard to regain the motivation I had had before.

So, take that lost time along with the pain, emotional investment, and all that that went along, it’s still hard to judge whether the net effect was positive or negative. I think that it ultimately will be positive, as I catch up on the lost time in school and can apply the lessons I learned from the relationship to future ones, but for now… hard to say.

I entered the relationship knowing it was going to end disasterously; in fact, I had even stated to my best friend, soon after I met her, that I expected it would end badly and was even right about how long it would last. I also ignored lots of red flags as they came up like her sense of entitlement, inability to compromise, abusive behavior, because it seemed like at each step I was in just deep enough that it was one more thing that I supposed I could deal with.

Ultimately, I guess the lesson comes down to learning to trust my instincts and that sometimes loving someone isn’t enough of a reason to be with them in the relationship is negatively affecting my life. Also, yes, opposites do attract and it makes for a lot of excitement, but that also leads to unstable relationships; ultimately, compatability is far more important .

It’s a bit complicated, but basically, we really weren’t the least bit compatible. We had amazing physical chemistry, and I do believe that she cared for me as much as I did for her, but I think she had a lot of ideas about what she wanted life to be like, many of which contradicted my desires, and any deviation from those ideals was unacceptable.

As an example, I prefer the small-town or country sort of life and she wanted to live in the most prestigious part of the city. This was so important to her that she lived there beyond her means and commuted 90 minutes each way OUT of the city to work each day and when I proposed that, when her rent was up and she had to move, that she consider moving closer to me and work (her job was about 10-15 minutes away from me), it was absolutely beyond the question and even insulting to her that I would want her to give up her dream of living in the city.

This led to a lot of concessions on my part to where I probably would have been happy had we met somewhere in the middle, but since I was now so far from what really made me happy, the relationship started to be a drain and combined with burnout from work and school, it just got worse and worse. It was sort of like the running scene in Forrest Gump where each concession wasn’t really that much compared to what I’d already given up so “I’ve gone this far, might as well go a little farther.” In the last couple months of the relationship, I was actually pretty seriously depressed as a result of all of that and she simply did not understand what that meant, why I couldn’t just not be depressed, and was both unable and unwilling to help me through it.

I think she ultimately got scared about what that meant because the last conversation I had with her before we broke up was me trying desperately to explain how I was feeling and how I really needed her help to which she ultimately agreed she would try. The next day she called up every member of my family, told them we had broken up with explanations about how I had been neglecting her, emotionally abusive, and all manner of other things like that, which I suppose could have legitimately been her perspective if she thought my depression was somehow voluntary and she took the engagement ring and FedExed it to me without even a note.

I wouldn’t have even found out that she had broken up with me until I’d got the ring had my mom not called me at work a couple days later to see how I was dealing with the break up. The conversation went something like this: “So how you doing?” “I’m doing okay.” “Really, after what happened with you and her?” “What do you mean?” “You and her broke up.” “We did?”

Needless to say, that is probably about the worst way to break that kind of news that I could imagine and my mom was NOT pleased that she was used like that. If she was too afraid to tell me, the least she could have done was send me an e-mail or whatever, not tell my whole family as if it had been done and wait for me to find out when I get the ring, sans any explanation of why it was sent to me.

She tried to get back with me about 3 months later, but based on some absolutely ludicrous conditions like she would “consider” getting back with me, but part of that would be a promise that I would buy her a bigger diamond. Besides the obvious superficiality and stupidity of that, the ring was completely custom based on our specifications, it was NOT cheap, and part of that decision process was the exactly sizes and cuts of the diamonds and that we actually didn’t get a bigger center stone because it was too big for her. It really brought home to me that it really never was about what things meant, that a bigger diamond is more impressive and that’s what mattered most to her.

Now, I’d really just do what I could to bring an end to it. I was very upset and angry with her for a long time and it took a long time and a lot of effort to get over it. I just want to keep that in my past. So if we did meet, I would swallow whatever emotions I was feeling at the time, perhaps do some sort of typical small talk like “Hi, hope life is treating you well.” and move on. In all honesty, I do wish her the best, but I hope that she does learn those lessons so she can be happy some day.

1. How long ago was it?

I should hope so.

Maybe a couple years - hard to tell when you are 16. A month seems like a year, so it felt like I was devasted forever.

Not really - time and maturity took care of it.

5**. If you have had subsequent relationship/s break down, how did your worst ever heartbreak differ?**

The first one was the first - it was big, scary and I had no idea it would ever get better. Subsequent ones didn’t have the “unknown” element.

Sure - it was a learning experience that didn’t kill me, gave me some knowledge of how the real world works, and helped me build better filters for future potential relationships.

Get real about who you should be with and what you should expect from them, lesson one. Learned a little more with every bad relationship and horrible break-up.

Naw, it was a pretty typical high-school romance, made dire by my own utter cluelessness and eagerness to be used badly.

Doubt I would feel much of anything after 30 years other than a mild curiosity to know how things worked out for him

1. How long ago was it?

3 months ago

In a way. I’m over the person, but not the actual manner in which I was dumped.

See above. I was dumped suddenly, with no warning whatsoever, by someone I work with. She immediately took up with someone else in the office we work in. This was after 2 years of her pursuing me with an intensity that bordered on stalking. I finally gave in to it, allowed myself to become emotionally dependent on her and she threw me away like discarded garbage without a second thought the minute something better came along. So, like I mentioned above, I’m over her, because I never really wanted to be in the relationship in the first place, but I’m not over the manner in which I was dumped. I’m also not over going from popular and well liked to social outcast at work essentially overnight, since she’s social chair around here.

I met the man of my dreams, within a couple of weeks. The timing was downright uncanny.

5**. If you have had subsequent relationship/s break down, how did your worst ever heartbreak differ?**

The other ones sort of peetered out over time, giving me enough of a chance to accept the fact that they were ending before it actually happened. This one came with absolutely no warning or explanation whatsoever (although I figured it out when she took up with the other chick that we work with within the week.)

Absolutely. I didn’t want to be in that relationship but was way too weak to leave. She did it for me. Now I’m in the best relationship I’ve ever been in before. Everything happens for a reason and this was no different.

To never, ever, allow myself to become emotionally dependent on another person. Life can change in an instant, you have to be prepared to walk alone at any given moment.

See above.

I have to see her every damn day, all the while keeping our nearly 2 year relationship secret from those we work with. As far as everyone around here knows, we were just best friends that had a falling out no one dare ask about. I’m just biding my time waiting for people’s memories to fade.

1. How long ago was it?

6 almost 7 years ago.

1. Do you feel that you are over it now?

Yes.

1. If you are over it, how long did it take for you to get over it?

I think I was legitimately over it 3 or so years ago.

1. If you are over it, did you do anything proactive to help or accelerate your recovery?

No. It was just time.

1. If you have had subsequent relationship/s break down, how did your worst ever heartbreak differ?

The heartbreak one made me feel like a complete chump which hurt my pride most of all… second of all my self-worth. Other subsequent breakups although heartwrenching or awkward never hit me in the same place.

1. Would you say, in the long run, that the heartbreak was a positive experience?

No. It’s a good sad story.

1. What have you learned from it?

I didn’t learn anything beneficial from it… except don’t fall head over heels for someone.

1. If you want to, feel free to give the details, as anonymized as you wish, of what happened.

2. Finally the clincher question: if you met the cause of your heartbreak now, how would this make you feel?

I used to ache for an apology but now, if she ever apologized to me I’d appreciate it. If I ran into her out in the world and no apology was forthcoming, I’d be kind of pissed for a second and then realize how much better my life is now and roll my eyes and move on.

missed the edit window for my answer to #8.

I’ve posted on the board the story before. Here’s a short version-
The one and only time I experienced love at first sight. The first time I saw her I literally couldn’t breathe for a moment. A year after I fist met her we ended up working together on a short gig. We ended up hitting it off and talked a lot over the course of the job. I regretted not asking her out or getting her phone number. She actually called me and asked me out (only time in my life that has happened) We spent about 10 hours together that first day and for the next month we saw each other at least every other day. The night she kissed me I melted and drove home singing a happy tune.

She was also in the process of joining the Peace Corps, but as I understood it she wouldn’t be leaving for training for a few months. So out of the blue one day she tells me “I’m leaving to go back home for awhile before I leave for training.” This was on a Tuesday… She was leaving on Friday.

This wasn’t a rushed decision. She had clearly been planning on leaving town. She just hadn’t bothered to tell me. And the way she did it was so flippant it really cut to the bone. It’s at that point that I started to realize that as hard as I was falling for this girl (I was pretty much in love by this point) she really only saw me as this nice guy to hang out with in a town where she had no real friends. She was just passing time. I would waffle between telling myself “dude, she’s not that into you.” and holding out hope for maybe some kind of last minute turnaround… like some airport tears (oh yes, I was her ride to the airport that day since her roommate bailed on her) or even an invite to go visit her before she left the country. Didn’t happen.

1. How long ago was it?

16 years

Sorta, see below.

About 6 months

I switched positions at my employers to a position where I worked graveyard shift alone. Made it alot more bearable when I started crying at random

The next worse there was alot more warning and or slow breakdown, the worst ever was a total blindside. Well not total, I thought something odd was afoot, but never could put my finger on it.

No

Trust your instincts

Girlfriend of 9 months had apparently been seeing someone else, apparently “I” was actually the “other guy” all along. I found out when she told me she was engaged to someone else. Wespent the night together, made love early in the morning, she left for school, I went to work, came home, she told me.

[/QUOTE]

I actually ended up crossing paths with her a couple times much later in life. She knows me too well, she does everything exactly the way I liked. The way she talks, walks, kisses, touches, this girl could probably have asked for me to come back a week later and I would have ignored the whole damn thing and took her back.

She came very close to stopping my wedding, I told her no. Have not heard from her since.

Since everyone’s been so forthcoming, I suppose I should contribute my own.

1. How long ago was it?

It happened in 1997.

I’m over it, and I’m over her, but I don’t know if I’m over what it triggered.

I spent five months in abject misery - with symptoms that I now realise were clinical depression: couldn’t eat, couldn’t sleep, nightmares when I did. I ended up in another relationship but initially my heart was not in it. It took me about two years more to get her out of my system.

No, I did everything wrong. I begged and pleaded and cried and acted crazy, I maintained contact, I hankered after her. I drank myself to sleep for months, was smoking two packs a day. I did buy a twelve-step self-help book, but I didn’t really read it, and didn’t follow its advice. I then got involved with other people way too soon and broke a couple of hearts myself.

I had an awful breakup last year, and it triggered pretty much exactly what I experienced back in 1997. But this time I recognised what was happening to me, and took steps to counter it - broke off contact, saw a counsellor, took up running, and talked to people. My latest breakup is only bouncing along the top of what I experienced in 1997 and 2008, though it occasionally dips a toe in.

No. It triggered depression, which I have subsequently revisited. In fact, apart from a couple of happy years, for much of my marriage (now ended) I was dysthymic, though I didn’t realise it at the time.

That I’m not as OK as I thought I was. That I invest too much of my happiness in other people, and don’t currently know how to stop this. I can’t seem to enjoy stuff alone, without sharing it. I hate solitude. I need to get away from the feeling that “You’re Nobody 'till Somebody Loves You”, but I don’t know how: as a single person, as I am now, I feel pointless.

For the first four years of our relationship, she was the love of my life. I have never felt as completely whole with another human being, and I don’t think I ever will. We could talk for days on end, never running out of things to explore with each other. And we were intensely compatible in bed. We travelled the world together, supported each other through the bad times, and shared the good. We gave each other huge freedoms, but our bond was immense. Several friends told me how much they envied our relationship.

But she got into drugs at a point where I needed to remain focused as the breadwinner. Her partying got out of control and I resented it, leading to anger, which fuelled her partying. During the last year she would disappear for days on end, and I started getting suspicious and jealous. Our sex life all-but disappeared because I was too resentful to make love to her. Finally we decided “mutually” to end it, and I took up immediately with someone else. But after about two weeks, my brain collapsed, and I ended things. I then accepted a transfer to the US, and ended up in a terrible state, entirely alone, drowning in grief, wanting to die (though not prepared to do anything proactive - I’d call it passively suicidal), while she commenced a relationship with the guy I had suspected her of cheating on me with. When I returned from the US I rekindled the relationship with the woman who would become my wife, but it was a long way into that relationship when I stopped pining after the first girl.

Ironically, three years after we broke up, the love of my life asked me for a drink. Years afterwards I found out that she’d realised she’d made a terrible mistake, that I was indeed the love of her life, and she wanted me back - but she wasn’t able to tell me because I’d invited my new girlfriend along too. She then reaped what she had sown, ending up in a similar position to how I’d been, moving away and being alone in a new city, pining for me, and on antidepressants.

Sometimes I wonder what might have been, had I known what she had been planning that evening. For a while it broke my heart to think of it, but no longer.

I was at her wedding - to the same guy from way back then - and I visited her and her new baby last year. There is still some connection between us, and she acknowledges it too. But my heart doesn’t leap or snap when I see her, or get an email from her. She’s just a dear friend.

11. How long ago was it?
24 years.

Yes.

About four years.

No.

I had another about ten years later, but it was very different because I was no longer a young Romeo with one foot in childhood; not only that, I had been through one heartbreak already, so I *worked *with it this time, and got over it fairly quickly. Today, there’s no comparison between the two experiences.

Yes, the whole teenage era, which was totally rubbish at the time, made me the person I am today. And while I’m not admirable, I am I, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

The psychology of the Wakinyan. If I have maniftested any wisdom at the age of 40, it is thanks to my trips to Hades and back.

It is very trivial and typical as a story, but I was deeply, madly in love with a girl who got together with a guy I was very attached to. (They didn’t know about my feelings, and I would never have guessed they were interested in each other.) It threw me down into a black hole. I was very young at the time.

Oh, we meet every now and again. We’re rather close friends, had lunch yesterday. I love her. Don’t misunderstand me, not like I loved her once, of course, and not like I love my wife. But she will always be my twin.