Design the Most Racially/Culturally Biased IQ Test Ever

Design an IQ test question that people in your racial/ethnic/religious/geographic cultural group would get correct at a higher rate than people outside the group would get

For this version of The Most Biased IQ Test Ever, groups of people who are linked together by their engagement in certain activities or fans of certain activities (example- snowboarders, Lord of the Rings fans, computer techs, furries) will not be included. Sorry, I had to narrow it down somehow.

Slang questions are OK, but non-slang questions are encouraged. We are also looking for the best or most probable answer.

This thread was inspired by an IQ test that I read about that only Aborigines could score high on and it reminded me of a test called “The Chiltlin’ Test” that I read about 20 years ago that was supposed to be a somewhat sarcastic stab by Black educators at making a test that Black Americans at the time could score well on.
I will go first.

1. Level: Elementary School, Culture: S. Texas Hispanic. Your mother tells you that she is going out to run some errands with your Tia and that she is going to bring back a few pounds of barbacoa. What day is it?

It is most likely Sunday, but Saturday will be acceptable. Most meat-markets and restaurants only serve barbacoa (steamed meat from the cow’s head) on Sundays or on the weekends

1. Level: Middle School, Culture Traditional Spanish/Hispanic. Your next door neighbor, Juan Carlos Garcia, invites you over for his daughter’s Quinciera BBQ. You get to meet his Dad, Mr. Pedro Garcia as well as his maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Antonio Gonzales. Since Mrs. Gonzales’ family is from the same town as yours, she mentions that her father’s name was Jose Martinez. You know that your neighbor’s real name has one more name. What is his full name?

Juan Carlos Garcia Gonzales. In traditional Spanish/Mexican families, the child’s second surname is the mother’s maiden name. However, he is called by his 1st surname which comes from his father’s family I think I got this one right, it even had me confused.

I used to work for the Psychological Corporation, so I know some people if we want to get this test published. :slight_smile:

1. Level: High School, Culture: Vietnamese-American. You’re saving up to get a white Toyota Corolla to match those of your three best friends. How long will you have to work to save up for it, if the car has a sticker price of $14,000?

You make $10 per pedicure you perform, and you do 50 pedicures per week for a weekly income of $500. When you go to the dealership, your mom will go with you and haggle the salesman down to $12,000 through sheer attrition over the course of six hours, as he helplessly watches a dozen potential customers come and go while she yammers away at him. $12,000/$500 = 24 weeks.

Just directly correlate the lightness of the skin to the IQ. I’m a geeeeniiiious.

Level: Primary school
Culture: Australian
You are hosting a barbecue, and invite three friends around. Before the start, you check in the fridge, and there are 48 cans of beer there (just in case). Each person at the barbecue (including yourself) drinks 4 cans of beer. How many do you have left at the end?

50. Each invitee will bring a six-pack of cans with him, and leave the unconsumed ones behind, out of politeness. You never go to an Australian party without bringing drink and/or food.

Here’s one I have to preface.

I was informed of a friend of my friend (both African-American) who had been corresponding online with another woman.

Their exchange becomes increasingly romantic but the woman wants to make sure that the guy is really who he says he is so she wants to test him. She asks the following question with the caveat that if he is truly black he will know the answer and that if he doesn’t know the answer, he is obviously a phony.

The question: “What do African-American mothers put on the skin of their newborn children?”

Answer:

Vaseline.

Well the guy had no frickin’ clue, the woman breaks off all correspondence and when he relayed the episode to my friend (who *did * know the answer) he groused that all these years, he must have been a white man parading around in a black man’s skin.

I am lily white and I knew the answer.

I said “Design an IQ test question that people in your racial/ethnic/religious/geographic cultural group would get correct at a higher rate than people outside the group would get.” I didn’t say make the most racially/culturally offensive test! This test is meant to be tongue in cheek, but you can only smack your own (unless of course, you are Vietnamese ) Remember, geographic regions count, so SoCal natives, Midwesterners, or any Worldwide geographic region can make up stuff. My inspiration: Cutural Bias in Intelligence Testing which talks about “The Original Australian Intelligence Test” (source unknown) and the “Chitlin Test” designed by Black Sociologist Adrian Dove in the early 70’s.

the questons so far have not been culturally biased so much as they have been questions about a culture.

A culturally biased question would be something like:

fire is to barbacoa as [blank] is to ceviche:
a. seafood
b. acid
d. fruit
e. none of the above
or

Tom’s car is a sedan, Suzie’s car is a coupe, Barret has a hatchback-coupe. Assuming there is a window by every door in Tom, Suzie and Barret’s cars, how many window seats are there cummulativelty in the three vehicles?
a. 8
b. 9
c. 7
d. 6

I am: 1/2 Vietnamese, born in Vietnam, and still live with the Vietnamese parent. :smiley: The jokes were intended to be gentle, and were written with my aunts and cousins in mind.

Culture Louisiana:

Crawfish are to lobsters as bream are to:

1. Alligators
  2. Shrimp
  3. Bass
  4. Eels

It’s easy and fun to make these for the jet-setters. Just pick exotic foods, cars, sports and art.

Foie Gras:France::_______:Japan

1. Udon
  2. Fugu
  3. Sake
  4. Ramen
  5. Tempura

Sam is out sailing on his catamaran. He is headed North on a starbord beam reach, but he wants to turn to go Southwest. If he wants to minimize the angle he turns the boat through, what kind of turn will he take, and what point of sail will he end up at?

1. Jibe to a starbord close haul.
  2. Tack to a port broad reach.
  3. Tack to a starbord beam reach.
  4. Jibe to a port broad reach.
  5. Tack to a starboard close haul.

Here’s one for the Minnesotans:

Fruit cocktail::jello as ___________ :: hotdish

a) Cool Whip
b) Salsa
c) Chipotles en adobo
d) Canned mushrooms
e) Wrestling

1. Translate the following sentences into AAVE:

You are crazy.

a) You are mental.
b) Youse are crazy.
c) Ya’ll are crazy.
d) You crazy.

What is your name?

a)What yo name is?
b)What name?
c)Whose name do you have?
d)What is ya’ll name?

I am preparing to go to the store.

a)I’m fixing to go to the store.
b)I finna go to the sto’.
c)I am ready to go to the store.
d)I am going to the store.

1. Which of the following behaviors would be best described as “trifling”?

a)wearing a tux at a BBQ
b)vomiting on a roller coaster
c)not speaking to people when you enter a room
d)crying at a funeral

1. Your hair has just “gone home”? Which of the following activities is the most likely to have happened to you?

a)you just electrocuted yourself
b)the barber gave you an extra close buzz cut
c)you just got caught in the rain
d)you’re getting your hair braided.

O.J. is:
a) innocent
b) guilty

Nicole Brown Simpson was
a) A dirty, filthy drug snorting crackhead whore who got what was coming to her.
b) A loving mother who was the victim of a horrible murder.

What side of the road should you drive on?
Left
Right
Either, doesn’t matter

I bow to your superior knowledge, but I’m pretty sure there’s no “g” in “triflin.”

North Carolina:
John shoots five baskets during his team’s game of basketball. Two of these are free throws. How many points did he score in all?

Which of the following is the most nutritious drink to have with lunch?
a) Kool Aid
b) a Soft Drink
c) Sweet Milk

Daniel

OneCentStamp, don’t be surprised if I use your post as a conversation-starter with my relatives in Southern California! :slight_smile:

(I liked it, by the way, and as someone who is exposed to the culture, I didn’t see anything offensive.)

(I won’t hijack this thread about my take on nail salons – that can wait for a MPSIMS post in the waaay distant future.)

My offerings:

1. wipeout:surfing::scrub:

a. skateboarding
b. karate
c. chess
d. ballet
2. International Orange:Golden Gate Bridge::Moving Historical Landmark:

a. cable car
b. Ford Escape
c. mud slide
d. ROUS
3. It’s the year 2002, and Rachel Ray decides to splurge and walks into the Fleur De Lys restaurant on Sutter Street. The restaurant has ten tables, and all tables are currently occupied by diners. The average 5-course meal runs three hours, and one couple at table #5 is on course #4. How much longer will Rachel have to wait until the host or hostess seats her at table #5?

[spoiler]Forever, i.e., she’ll never get a table. It’s a trick question. Going by what I read about the place a few years ago: hours are from 6-9:30 pm, reservations are required, and tables are never “reused”. Since the economy has dipped, the restaurant’s policies may be different now.

(Disclaimer: I never had the $$$$ to eat there, but I used wait at the bus stop across the street.)[/spoiler]

East LA:

How do you respond to the question “Where you from?”
a. “Nowhere, man. Just passin’ through.”
b. “Where YOU from?”
c. “Pico Rivera”
c. Don’t say anything. Turn and run as fast as you can.

West LA:

Sangiovese is to Chianti as Nebbiolo is to ___________.

a. Barolo
b. Burgundy
c. Barbaresco
d. Brunello
e. a and/or c
f. none of the above

A carbonated soft drink is a:
a. Soda
b. Pop
c. Coke

Aww, I want answers with these!
My guesses:

East LA:

How do you respond to the question “Where you from?”
a. “Nowhere, man. Just passin’ through.”

I knew a guy who told me he always said he was visiting from Arizona, because no one had a beef with Arizona.

From my two years teaching in Compton, I’ll guess:

1. Translate the following sentences into AAVE:

You are crazy.

d) You crazy.

What is your name?

d)What is ya’ll name?

I am preparing to go to the store.

b)I finna go to the sto’.

I did manage to make the connection to my college buddy’s “Fixing to go”, from Texas.

Which of the following behaviors would be best described as “trifling”?

b)vomiting on a roller coaster

Your hair has just “gone home”? Which of the following activities is the most likely to have happened to you?

c)you just got caught in the rain

But that last one is really just a guess entirely.