Diablo series

Diablo 3 is probably at least a year away, but I like what I’ve seen so far. I haven’t played the first games in the series. Are they worth picking up? My local Target has a Diablo Battle Chest (games and expansion, and stratagey guides) for $30 or $40.

Diablo II was a ridiculous amount of fun, and still holds up ok, although the online community is much smaller than it used to be. If you like hack-n-slash clickfests, it’s probably a good choice. If Blizzard keeps Battlenet free, I’ll definitely be buying it.

A lot of people have fun with it, and I did, as well-- at the beginning. But then I realized that all the game was clicking on enemies to make them die, running around to avoid slow melee monsters (I was a Sorceress), and taking back loot to identify and sell back in town.

I got to chapter 4 of Diablo II before I couldn’t continue any more. It is fun customizing your skills and debating which armor to wear, but it’s an extremely narrow game, gameplay-wise. Endless combat, and almost nothing else.

Great cut-scenes between acts, though.

Hell, yes!

I was addicted to Diablo 2 for a good… 3 years? Four? Then WoW came out, and I was addicted to it for a while. Now, I’m addicted to Diablo 2 again.

It’s not hard, on the whole, but one can, through choice of character class, make it hard if they want. It’s a really fun game. I’m enjoying having a skeleton army to do my dirty work…

Joe

I’m going to just offer the unpopular dissenting opinion and slink off.

I didn’t care for either game. The random levels translate to uninspired design and I got bored of the limited character development in the original game fast. The second game improved things a bit but not nearly enough for my tastes.

Get ready for a lot of standing in place and clicking. The tactical options are minimal and repetitive. The abilities were (and I’ll concede that this is something that may have changed) were grossly imbalanced; there were several abilities that are much more powerful than similarly priced options.

I won’t call it a stinker, Diablo 2 was at the very least a well produced Rogue-like. I just didn’t enjoy it.

The long lasting appeal of the game is akin to the fun of playing the slots. You never know if the next monster will drop something great or something not even worth picking up off the ground. Given the fact that you’re killing monsters extremely quickly, you’ll get good items reasonably often.

One of the highlights of the Diablo series has been the randomized dungeons and loot drops, which makes it pretty replayable.

I liked the first Diablo. There was only one dungeon with 15 or 16 levels, but there are different enemy types, which force you to use different equipment and tactics for different levels. For example, I had a set of lightning resistant gear, a set of fire resist gear, etc. It was pretty hard, as I recall, I remember actually feeling fear whenever the big D showed up on the last level because he could slay me in a few hits. Downside is every character has access to the same skills, so your wizards and warriors wound up having a lot of the same skills and stats in the end. Fun game, although not terribly deep.
Side note: There’s an “unofficial expansion” for Diablo I, I think it was called Hellfire. Being unoffical, it’s not packed in the battle chest, and I think the only way to get it now is probably ebay.

Diablo II is much, much larger and expanded on the original in every way. Many more character classes with unique skills, 5 acts that were each 10x the size of the original game, mercs, tons of uniques and set items, etc. Each class has at least 2-3 different “builds”, so it was pretty customizable. The downside: the chances of getting the rarer items is on a par with your chances of winning the lottery, and I’m not exaggerating, so going online and trading was pretty much the only way to go. Sadly, the game was quickly overrun with cheaters, rushers, and hackers. Since its free to play online, Blizzard doesn’t police the game as closely as, say, a MMORPG with paying customers. The 1.10 patch also severely nerfed melee and ranged characters in favor of magic users and hammerdins, and I hated it.
Overall, I spent about 4 years playing D2 online, so I’d say my money was well spent. I eventually gave it up because of the cheaters and hackers, and because I just ran out of things to do.

I’ve no idea what the current state of the game is, I haven’t played since 1.10 first came out. I noticed my version is 1.07, I was thinking about patching to 1.08 (the best version IMHO) if I could find the individual patches anywhere, and giving the game another spin in single player. There are character/item editors available for single player, so you don’t have to start from scratch (it takes a horribly long time to build up a decent set of gear in this game).

I have to disagree that about the tactical options. That’s true for some classes, but not all. You can’t always just click on the nearest enemy and expect to do well. And the options available for any given build may be somewhat limited, but there is considerable variation in the type of character you can play. There are many ways to play the game, and even more if you don’t care about the highest difficulty levels. A necromancer relying on skeletons plays very differently than an amazon using bows, for example, and much of the fun is replaying the game using different setups.

If you enjoy tweaking characters for hours on end, fussing with different kinds of equipment and spells and abilities to create a perfect character, this is for you. If not, this game will have a short life, as there is a lot of kill-and-repeat.

It’s also fun to play with friends, too. Customizing a perfect party, making the best use of each character’s unique abilities to help the group is tons of fun. It’s somewhat less fun to play with swearing twelve year olds online, though.

This can be said for just about any game, though. For example, one could say GTA is just stealing cars, driving between locations, and shooting people.

I’m middle of the road about Diablo. Fun to play through a couple of times and thinking about how to tweak your build correctly. I just don’t get the people that are still playing it after all this time.

Just an ok game with limited re-playability.

I used to love playing it both on- and offline, but the TK’ers just made the online game side of it unbearable. However I still like playing it offline.

If Blizzard can commit to a WoW-level of policing for the new game, they’re going to get a lot of money out of me :wink:

Yeah, they seem to have WoW locked down tight, but EVERYTHING is duped in Diablo 2 (online, that is), everyone seems to be using hacks and bots - it’s really bad, MUCH worse than it was when I used to play. But coming back to the game, it’s still fun!

Joe

I consider Diablo II one of the finest video games ever to be released, on any platform. As stated above, you could just consider it a “click and kill” game, but that is discounting the layered nuances of character development, skill managment, item deployment, that chance of getting that complete set, the love and hate for certain NPCs and bosses, etc, etc.

I never played on BattleNet - I hate online playing for the reasons stated above, and more. However, just between myself, my husband and my daughter, we made Diablo II a regular activity for years on our home network.

I’d say go for it - the Battlechest isn’t that expensive, IIRC, and if nothing else, you’ll have played a PC legend, on par with Starcraft, Civ and SimCity.

Now I want to go home a play it! I never did finish Hell difficulty with Beth and Jahara… :smiley:

Although I do really enjoy Diablo, the repetitiveness gets to me after a while. At first there’s a lot of variety in the stages, but Act 3 and 4 are depressingly bad (mostly). I wish they had varied things up with new quests, dungeons, and monsters in Nightmare and Hell.

'Course, the other problem was that I had a hard time finding a melee damage build which could kep up with the mobs, and had a hard time balancing
Strength and Dexterity and Vitality. Eventually, no matter what I did, I just couldn’t keep up with the rising monster defenses.

I played through Normal but kinda got burned out halfway through Nightmare. 'Course, I was rotating through about six different Barbs and one each of the others.

Its fun for awhile, but does get very repetitive, mighty quickly. The graphics haven’t aged well either it look terrible. On the upside it will run even on an ancient rig.

I would still recommend it if you’ve never played it.

If it is the Battle Chest that contains Diablo II and the expansion “Lord of Destruction” then I’d say go for it, especially if you’ve never played it.

It’s great fun to play on a home network and can be played on older machines.

Yes it is repetitive and hack & slash but it doesn’t pretend to be a problem solving/intellectual game.

So what if it is an old game, if it’s new to you and the concept appeals to you, try it out :slight_smile:

Right now I am playing Titan Quest. It’s available on Steam with its expansion pack for $20. It’s basically Diablo 2 1/2 in Greece. The graphics of Diablo II are so old that it’s difficult to use on a modern monitor, but Titan Quest is beautiful. I’d recommend it for anyone who (like me) needs a fix until DIII.

I never played Diablo I, but sure loved me some Diablo II. I only have two major complaints about it:

• System requirements: My Mac, out of the box, exceeded all of the hardware recommendations (recommended hardware requirements, not minimum requirements) by a factor of at least 2X - CPU speed, RAM, video memory, etc, but the game was still choppy in places. Some of that may be Apple’s fault, or driver issues. I’ve always had to run the game in “software rendering” mode. Under Mac OS 9, the other option was RAVE; under Mac OS X it switched to Open GL. With either option the game became unplayable after a while as the enhanced graphics quickly overwhelmed my video card.

• Blizzard seemed to want to actively discourage the single-player game, judging by the rate of rare/unique/set item drops in single-player where there’s nobody to trade with. I recently fired the game up and started a new single-player character (a paladin, my favorite class). By the time I faced Diablo himself in Act IV Normal, a grand total of two unique items (one a bow and the other equally useless to a paladin) and one set item (armor that was inferior to what I was already wearing) had dropped. And I play “scorched earth” style, that is, I kill every monster in every area as I progress. Because of inadequate equipment I simply could not last more than a few seconds against Diablo, and the game ended there. IMO, the item drop rate should have been higher in single-player mode. I don’t think I ever completed a set in single-player without using a mod. A single-player game shouldn’t force the player into making endless runs against the same boss to acquire decent equipment.

Same deal with runes and runewords - the offline player has little chance of ever finding the runes necessary to make the higher-level runeword items.

And the sad fact was that I hated the multiplayer game. The only reason I played on Battle.net was for the ability to use mules to stockpile found items. I still played alone on Battle.net, because I could never find coplayers who actually wanted to play through the game - everybody just wanted to run past everything on their way to the bosses and sub-bosses.