Did Any MMORPGs Acknowledge The Eclipse?

World of Warcraft has events every year that somewhat coincide with events on the calendar, such as Greatfather Winter missions around Christmas, etc. Similarly, Red Dead Online has Halloween and Christmas events, and probably some other smaller ones, throughout the year as well.

I play RDO but hadn’t for a few weeks before and a few days after the eclipse. Did RDO, WoW, or any other MMORPG acknowledge the eclipse in its quests/missions, skins, environments, etc.?

I don’t believe that Final Fantasy XIV (the one MMO I currently play) did anything. That said, it’s published by a Japanese company, and last week’s eclipse came nowhere near Japan. So, it was probably not a big/notable event for their home region, or primary audience, the way it was here in North America.

They do run seasonal events tied to real-world holidays all the time (Asian New Year, Easter, Halloween, Christmas, etc.).

City of Heroes has seasonal events, and the devs have the power to set the in-game time or lock it at some point, so they could have hit the “make it night” button. But so far as I know, they didn’t.

I might add that the moon(s) have particular significance in FFXIV:

• Dalamud, the “red moon,” was actually an artificial satellite, and was “dropped” onto the planet by the bad guys (the Garlean Empire) at the end of the game’s original incarnation, causing massive destruction. (Oh, and it was made worse by the releasing of the ancient dragon Bahamut, who had been imprisoned inside the moon.)
  • The remaining “silver moon” (a natural satellite) was a key part of the game’s most recent expansion, “Endwalker.”

But, no in-game obervations/events centered on real-world eclipses, as far as I know.