Did You Notice Osip's Peach Salsa Thread Go Missing Here In IMHO?

I’ll post my replies and invite a witness into this thread if anyone doubts it. Did anyone else notice Osip’s “Peach Salsa … Help Zenster!” thread suddenly go missing? I’m sick of posts (especially so many of mine) and now entire threads, getting hamstered at these boards.

Osip, would you please post to this effect here?

Zenster, I did see the thread and it doesn’t show up on a search.

I have witnessed the phenomenon that Zenster speaks of (several times, in fact), and would also appreciate a response from the adminstrator.

[Elmer Fudd]

There’s something awfwy scrwooowy going on awound here!

[/Elmer Fudd]

Both speech and silence trangress.
Zen saying
We love your posts, Zenster – if only for a brief moment…

I saw it too, and even posted a repy before Zenster did! Very strange…

By the way, Zenster, you are my hero on the Internet. I’ve learned more about food and cooking from you, and bookmarked more of your Straight Dope threads. Thanks a lot!

I saw it too.

It’s the Mary Celeste of posts.

:eek:

I read the post early this morning (about 7 hours ago) and I was going to add my bit that:

Peach Salsa sounds gross, but

Zenster’s recipes, however, are fantabulous.

So, should we cue the Twilight Zone music here then?

Again, Zenster, those dolmades are magnificent!

I was just going to add that we are entering the Twilight Zone!

On occasion, if I post after Zenster, our posts disappear, but the whole THREAD? For the love of salsa, no.

Now, back to the peaches:

You could use my mango salsa recipe and switch out the mangos for peaches-

1 ripe MANGO, peeled/chopped (so maybe 2-3 peeled peaches?)
1/4 cup CUCUMBER, chopped fine.
1/4 cup RED ONION finely chopped
1 JALAPINO PEPPER, seeded/chopped
3 tbsp CILANTRO
juice from 1 LIME
SALT/PEPPER to taste(must have salt to bring juices out of veggies)

Mix everything and let sit in fridge at least 3 hours to allow flavors to meld.

I ate the original thread, with mozz melted over nacho chips. Such a nice change from tomato salsa. :wink:

Thanks, everybody, for coming in here and reassuring me that I’m not hallucinating (drat it all!).

[Robin Williams]

Where’re all those flashbacks they promised us?

[/Robin Williams]

Does anyone have Osip’s OP bookmarked? If so, please post the (complete) URL here in this thread.

damn I saw this thread before I searched to far looking for the thread I originally started.

Unfortunately this is not my first thread to go MIA. Maybe my writing while hard on the human eye is quite tastey in the eyes of the internet hampsters.
The other was a long thread written on to little sleep in regards to dominos lined up and tumbling over… might have been best it disapeared. anyway…

No store here in town stocks Peach salsa. This (peach salsa) and Ginger beer are my two remaining vices.

I determined to find a way of making my own since I can no longer rely on the stores.

Naturally, my first thought was of my friend Zenster whom must know a way to make that sweet burning goodness. Also, I am sure other dopers would have input as well.

So please, I need a recipe that will cause my tounge to slap my mouth silly.
On a side note, maybe it vanished because I was a bit snippy with a post there where all I recieved were a list of google results. While Google is nice for information it cannot give me an experiences opinion of the most fantastic peach salsa out there.

I can give you a recipe for Boujenia(fresh cooked ham with hay and beer) I picked up in russia.
admittedly more of a curiosity than a practical suggestion for the dinner table. The ham prepared in this manner used to be served at fine rural estates.

lemme know if your interested

Osip, please restart your original thread. That way more people will know to reply to it with recipes. I have all of my work saved and will post that information when the new thread is up. Perhaps Annie will be kind enough to repost her thoughtful contribution as well.

Well, another post hamstered into oblivion. Let’s try this again.

Osip, peach salsas are just a bit frou-frou for my own tastes. I’ve never made one in my life, but I refuse to let that stop me from rendering an opinion on the matter. That said, I’ll be glad to help you in any way that I can.

For a peach salsa let’s go over the basics; First off, I’d like to recommend some red Jalapeño chiles. To work correctly with ripe fruit, you probably do not want too much heat. Second, you’ll really need to watch the salt content. Start with none at all and add any salt at the very end. You’ll want just enough to round out the flavor without creating any conflicting flavors.

I’ll need you to inform me of your preferences concerning such strife laden issues as green onions and the need for authenticity. Since we’re talking fruit salsa here, authenticity is taking a back seat. Due to this relaxation of (ahem) standards, we may now consider things like using Red, Maui or Vidallia onions to compliment the sugars in the fruit.

Before we continue, permit me to ask a few questions:

1. Do you want this sweet, or with just a fruit background?

2. A little or a lot of heat?

3. Cooked salsa or a pico de gallo style relish?

4. Citrus top notes or vinegar pickle?

Please post with the answers to these questions and we’ll work up a functioning recipe.

Here are the ingredients of a peach salsa my sister sent me some while back:

Red ripe tomatoes
Peaches
Vinegar
Sweet onions
Brown sugar
Jalapeño & Bell peppers
New Mexican green chiles
Sea salt
Spices

And this time, dammit, woe betide the putz who removes this recipe, as I have plans for it. Yes, I remember it…I’ve been waiting a while now.

Osip, I’ve never had a hankerin’ for peach salsa myself, but I feel your pain. So just for reference I snatched this one off of epicurious.com

PEACH AND CUCUMBER SALSA

2 cups diced peeled pitted peaches (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 cup diced unpeeled English hothouse cucumber
3/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons apricot preserves
1 teaspoon chopped canned chipotle chiles*

Mix all ingredients in medium bowl. Season salsa to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Stir to blend before serving.) *Chipotle chiles canned in a spicy tomato sauce, sometimes called adobo, are available at Latin American markets, specialty foods stores, and some supermarkets. Makes about 3 cups.

Per tablespoon: calories, 6; total fat, 0;saturated fat, 0; cholesterol, 0

Bon Appétit
July 2003
Cooking for Health

Looks prety much like Annie’s.

BTW, if you’re just looking for a sweet & spicey salsa, have you tried Newman’s Own pineapple salsa? It’s pretty good.

Newman’s Pineapple salsa is good, but his Peach salsa is the one I usually buy when I have a peach salsa jones. They often have them stocked right next to each other.