Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead!

Ah, the Boy Scouts, repository of songs from days gone by! It was only recently that my interest in songs from the Turn of the Last Century revealed to me that “There’s a Hole in My Bucket” and “Rueben, Rueben” were, based on the names of the principals (Liza, Henry, Rueben, and Rachel), were not not about white characters and the songs were (ahem) Coon Songs. :eek:

FWIW, the category was “Classic songs from movies.” Yes, it’s a classic song, and yes, it’s from a movie . . . but since the quoted line isn’t from the movie, it’s very misleading . . . and not up to Jeopardy!'s usual standards.

I don’t think they were. Reuben and Rachel was a 19th century comic song, but there’s nothing particularly “coon” about it (and Reuben and Rachel are Jewish names, if anything), and “There’s a Hole in the Bucket” is a translation of a German/Pennsylvania Dutch song.

I consistently identified him as “the pencil-neck” while the show was on.

There was one clue that the pencil-neck got (I cannot remember exactly which one it was, early-onset CRS strikes again) but The Wife said she was impressed that he got it. I said “I said it, too. Aren’t you impressed by that?”

She answered “But you aren’t getting any money on the couch, are you?”

His profession is “medievalist.” I guess that’s kinda geeky.

He’s a Jeopardy player. They’re all geeks/dweebs/dorks. :slight_smile:

(This said from someone who is a big fan of the show, who linked to this thread on the Jeopardy message board that I frequent, who watches the shwo every day and keeps track of his scores (I average about $20K per show) and whos lifetime goal is to get on the damn show. And yes, I’ll gladly call myself a geek. :wink: )

The category was something like Classic Musical Films? And the clue was “The house fell on her head and the coroner pronounced her dead?” So you need to come up with a song that has a six-word title from a classic musical that has a house falling on a woman and killing her. Hmmmm. It is my dream to get a question so easy.

And next Friday is six months since my audition.

Sticky?

This.

Anbody who would miss this question either (a) never saw The Wizard of Oz or (b) is a pedantic, overthinking nit-picker. Most normal people would have the answer in a second.

IIRC, Music From Film. Or Songs From Film. One or the other.

Either way, point holds…you know it’s a song from a movie. Likely a musical. It references a house falling on and killing a female… It’s the kind of clue Jeopardy loves - lets you puzzle out the correct question by general knowledge of the subject, rather than being strictly trivia.

We got a laugh out of that–I was hoping he’d win so we could get more clarification. Is he a scholar, or does he roam the country going from one Rennaissance Faire to the next?

Reuben and Rachel have been used in some songs sung in Black dialect, but Liza and Henry are two of the most common ones.

As Coroner, I vouch for them…

Really? Most sincerely?

But none of those people have ever been in my kitchen!

Maybe, but There’s a Hole in the Bucket doesn’t show up in English until the 1940s.

Didn’t get the Middle one, but I am Waaaaay under 110.

1. I Left My Heart In San Francisco
  2. On The Street Where You Live
  3. I’m Henery the Eighth, I Am