Dixie Chicks are batting 0 for 1000

Okay, disregarding anything with the whole Dixie-Chicks-in-England-screwing-themselves-over thing - I have always been a fan of their music. Since no one here wanted to go to their concert, I decided to schedule a trip to Toronto to see them with one of my best friends. I’ve been meaning to take a few days to go up and spend with her anyway, so we just combined the two. So, Dixie Chicks were playing in Toronto on June 12th, I scheduled my trip for June 12-June 15th, coming back early on the 15th because I’m giving my future sister-in-law’s bridal shower on the 15th.

Last night, the boyfriend IMs me and says that there’s a crawl on the bottom of his screen in Ohio saying the Dixie Chicks cancelled last night’s Cleveland concert and reschedule it for June 11th.

Of course, the first thought in my mind is “Fuck. I hope this doesn’t affect Toronto.”

I can’t be so lucky. Got an email from my Canadian buddy tonight telling me that the Chicks have cancelled the concert on the 12th and rescheduled it for August 6th. FUCK! FUCK, FUCK, FUCK A DUCK!

I went to their official site - apparently, Natalie was sick last night and told not to perform by doctors. Okay, I get that. But why not schedule the Cleveland re-show for a time that doesn’t affect another show? Why screw up two shows?

I’m just disappointed. I have a plane ticket to Toronto next week, I can’t go to the rescheduled show, and I can’t make any of the other shows - I’ve already taken vacation time for the week before the Washington, DC shows for my brother’s wedding, and even if I could take more time, I’m house-sitting and can’t leave the dogs alone overnight. And with the way their career is going, the Chicks may not have another tour. I was just really looking forward to this.

Obligatory bad language for a Pit rant: Mother-fucking, cocksucking, hymen-eating pig-fucker.

Ava

"But why not schedule the Cleveland re-show for a time that doesn’t affect another show? "
It might be a question of logistics. If the tour buses are already in the area, it seems foolish to go on ahead and then return to Cleveland. Tours cost so much money to run, you probably can’t even begin to imagine.

I know it sucks, sorry. It has happened to me, too.

And I should add…I’m not mad at anyone or the Dixie Chicks. Shit happens. People get sick. Concerts need to be rescheduled. Just more disappointed, although I’ll still have a good time with my friend that weekend.

Ava

Bummer.

'Cause it was a really good show.

ftr, I don’t care about their politics. They’re entertainers, fer cry’n out loud.
Took us forever to get into the Ford Center (OKC) to see them, because of the aiport style wanding of everyone at the ticket gate. :rolleyes:

Yeah, you’re right, I didn’t even think about the aspect of the tour buses already being there. I’m sure money is a huge part of it, and with that, I totally understand. I was also really looking forward to going to one of their concerts with a friend who’s as big a fan as I am - neither of us is really a country music listener aside from this group. If I had the $100 to put on the plane ticket for the change fee, I might try to switch my vacation time around - but I don’t have the money to do the change right now.

Ah, well. With luck, there will be other tours (provided Natalie doesn’t stick her foot in her big mouth again). Thanks:).

Ava

I probably shouldn’t be complaining since I have seen them before at Radio City - two or three years ago (I can’t remember which). I think it’s cause I know this would be an awesome show that I’m disappointed - they put on a fantastic show. I was really looking forward to singing “Sin Wagon” at the top of my lungs with a bunch of Canadians :D.

I guess they were worried about crazies coming in to hurt them because of what was said? (And I’m with you - what they said has no bearing on whether or not I like their music). I’ll have to live vicariously through people who’ve actually seen them, I guess:).

Ava

do ya’ll know what she was wearing on her T-shirt that made Tobey Keith so mad??? (I read something about her t-shirt at some awards show, he was pissed off, something like it was intitials that stood for something rude towards him)

I believe he T-shirt said “FUTK” which stands for … well, the “TK” stands for “Toby Keith.”

BIG ASS SPOILER BELOW!

[spoiler]You must see the stage!

It’s a rectagular(ish) walkway around a center stage. The center stage has the “band” while the Chicks wander all over the walkway.

The walkway is a work of art. It’s like a thousand monitors (no, not the lizards) all hooked together seamlessly showing different effects (like rain, forest, psycodelica, etc…) on a large scale. Like I said, it’s SEAMLESS. And I don’t think it’s rear projection, I’ve done that myself. This was as if someone tiled the walkway with video moniters.

Plus, they sing a couple of new songs.

And… they’re just a really good show.

I really liked White Trash Wedding

Sin Wagon is in their encore. [/spoiler]

Humm - I wonder if the new SARS outbreak in Toronto has anything to do with them moving the date?

I know there have been a number of other large functions scheduled to take place there in June and July that have either been cancelled or postponed due to this latest outbreak.

Just a thought - too bad about missing them though - no chance you can go in Aug?

grin No, no, Supposedly FUTK mean Freedom for Understanding Truth and Knowledge.

At least that’s what my radio said this morning.

Damn good thing it wasn’t Freedom for Understanding Carnal Knowledge

:stuck_out_tongue:

Fuct is a skateboard clothing company. you can reach their website on www.fuct.com

I think Toby Keith just saw an oppertunity to make it look like he was being jibed so he could boost his public profile and call the Dixie Chicks traitors.

my mistake, I read the OP wrong.

hymen-eating?

new way of popping someones cherry?

:wink:

I heard this story from a couple of different media sources in Toronto, and no-one mentioned anything about the Cleveland concert being the cause of the re-schedule - they all said it was because of SARS. Whether everyone is just assuming SARS is the reason, or that’s an official explanation from the Dixie Chicks, I don’t know.

Nope:(. I’ve tried to work it out and it’s just not feasible. But I think you’re right - I definitely think this has to do with the SARS thing. And to be honest, it’s kind of freaking me out at the moment. I never get worked up over news reports or things like that - I usually just write it off as the media trying to sell more papers, but in this case, I’m wondering if I shouldn’t postpone my trip, too. That’s a whole 'nother OP, though.

Ava

I wouldn’t worry too much Ava - just stay the heck out of a hospital, and you should be OK. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t really panicked until my mom started getting all weird. I’ll probably end up going, it’s just that the news is making me nervous. Toronto is one of my favorite places in the world - I really don’t want to not go. Thanks:).

Ava

I heard that they canceled the Cleveland date something like 15 minutes before they were scheduled to go on stage. I would have been ticked about that because I would have hired a sitter… on a school night, no less.