DIY and Hobby projects, small to big. Pictures of course

After posting I realized that I hadn’t taken a picture of the “final” step of the anvil stand project, tying down the anvil to the stand with a chain. Not only to look cool, but helps keep the anvil stable and, most importantly reduces the ringing sound from the anvil when struck. The fun bit was using my forge to bend some anchor bolts I had lying around from an L shape to a shepherd’s hook to then tighten down the chain:

A while back I was looking for something to make and found a nice 7 segment LED clock. The code the maker provided made it able to show the outdoor temperature from time to time and would change the color based on the temperature. I cut the clock in half and played with the code so that it only showed the outdoor temp.
Nothing special, but I like it.

After that, I wanted to make another one to display the indoor temperature. My original plan was to see if I could figure out how the code got the external temperature and point it to a temp sensor instead of wherever it was grabbing it from the internet. Everything else should be the same. However, at some point in all of this, I remembered that my ecobee thermostat has an API and, for years, I’ve wanted to learn how to work with APIs and using that as my indoor temperature source seemed like a good place to start. After making the new display, I found that ecobee removed the API access. To fast forward a bit, that project sat around until just a few days ago when I finally got back to it, and just used some basic code to get the temperature from the sensor and display it.

In any case, I still wanted to learn how to play with APIs and remembered that the sensors I use at work for monitoring my coolers and freezers also have an API and, from what I can tell, it doesn’t seem like it would be all that difficult to learn, and it really wasn’t. After about a dozen iterations of the form factor, and just as many iterations of the code and wiring (because I didn’t realize the code/wiring for my test with one screen would be wildly different than a test with multiple screens, which was wildly different with more than 8 screens), I ended up with this:


All custom dupont connections, partially because I wanted to, but also because I needed these wires to be only as long as necessary and made from stranded, silicone wire instead of the normal, stiffer, solid/PVC wire most breadboard jumpers are made of, so I could actually close the case. It would’ve been cleaner, and I could’ve made it a bit shallower if I could’ve reliable gotten two wires into one connector. The driving force behind how deep the case is, is how many wires are in the way when it folds shut. If I ever make a second one, I already have some ideas for that.

And here’s the actual display. Each showing the current temperature (or open/closed status of a door). If any of them get too warm/cold, that one will blink until it’s back in range. I only have 12 sensors, so the last three are just showing the test text. I do still need to arrange them in a more logical (to me) order and make a few other adjustments, but overall, I’m quite happy with it.

The local Hospice organization is amazing. The care they gave to my late in-laws in their final months was extraordinary and every person who came to our house to help was just top-notch.

So I’ve been knitting and (mostly) crocheting lap blankets to be given to current hospice patients. I’ve probably made 50 or so in the last couple of years. This is the latest batch - the blue one is only half done. The rest are folded in half - most are roughly 40" square, some a bit bigger They work great on wheelchairs.
Imgur
Once it’s finished, I’ll contact Jessica, who was my MIL’s main aide. She lives near me and when she has a patient nearby, she stops here to pick up a bag or two, depending on how fast I work. Then she gives them out on her rounds.

I enjoy making them and finding new patterns to try out. And I’m glad the patients like them. I know my MIL was always cold in her last months and she always had one or two wrapped around her, even in summer. It’s not a big thing, but I’m glad to help out people during a very stressful stage of life. Plus it helps keep my arthritic fingers nimble.

Beautiful, I’m sure they love receiving those.

That’s a very nice project, and looks like a great result. One question, you initially mention a 7-segment LED clock, but the 15 displays in the final build are something else. What components did you use for those?

The seven segment clock was an entirely different project that led me to this, just based on wanting to learn about APIs. The displays for this project are SSD1306 mini OLEDs, with some multiplexers (to drive 15 of them) and an Arduino Nano

That is very cool! Warm? Regardless, it’s a generous way to enjoy your hobby!

Adding this to the list of future projects…