Do single gay guys eat better than hetero single guys?

I’ve always had this notion that dinner time at a gay man’s house has got to be like some cooking show, with arugula this, and tart that, and lots of yummy infusions, and fire roasting and sautéing going on. I can’t imagine that I’d ever see a gay man in Burger King drive through, or buying Top Ramen, frozen pizzas, mac n’ cheese, or Lean Cuisine as main courses.

Do single gay guys generally eat better than single hetero guys, or do you buy the same quick and easy crap we do?

Not exactly the OP I was curiously anticipating. :smiley:

I suppose I could help rather than be a smartass huh?
When I was single I cooked. I am married and I still cook.
I buy no premixed shit. I make all my stuff from scratch. I don’t buy fastfood. My grandma asked me for my bread recipe as do lots of folks on many things I cook. I won first and second place in two different cooking events this year and…
I’m not gay.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Hey, a smartass has just gotta be himself sometimes. :wink:

When I cook, it’s usually ramen, microwave dinners or pan fried hamburgers, so at least in my case, there’s no connection between my sexuality and culinary skills. When I eat out, it’s usually McDonalds, Subway, this pizza place I like, or this Mexican chain restaurant.

Sorry to shatter your dream.

I eat like a pig, including horrible fastfood restaurants. Tonight for my dining pleasure, the menu will include artery-clogging pizza with all sorts of meat toppings as delivered to my door by LaRosa’s.

In general I would guess that gay men might have more cooking skills than straight within a certain age range because we’re not exactly holding out for the wife to cook for us. If we want to eat good food at home, we better be self-reliant. However in recent years I’ve seen a huge upswing in men of all sorts trying out the culinary field for themselves, so maybe I’m wrong by now.

I don’t have a cite handy, but I think it’s been established that, of the million or so single gay men out there, they are not all alike.

I happily live off Ramen Noodles as much as possible, but as a college kid, that probably doesn’t count. I still probably count as another “no.”

Before college, I scavenged and ate anything I could keep down my throat best out of three, including uncooked Kielbasa, 3-pound bags of Gardettos, and whatever was at eye level in the cupboard. Often, all three of these in one sitting if I was left alone for more than 24 hours.

I eat absolutely terribly. I cannot cook, and attempts to learn have proven both frustrating and comical. I don’t so much mind the cooking, but I hate cleaning up after it. It’s gross, so I don’t really deal with it. So I don’t cook often.

I can grill, though, and enjoy doing that.

Mostly when I cook it’s simple things like soup. And rice. I like making rice. Rice is good. It’s a staple of my existence. I’m like a peasant in North Korea. Except that I get to have a lot of rice. And political freedom.

I succumb to fast food more often than I like. But I’ve been getting better about making it a point to go out and get a salad. There’s a place in town that has great ceasar dressing (only about three places that have such dressing that I can actually swallow). So I eat a lot of greens. Hope I never have a heart problem that puts me on cumadin.

My straight best friend is a fabulous cook. He and his wife have me over for dinner fairly regularly.

After college, I (a straight guy) kicked my fitness routine back into gear and started preparing all my own meals with fresh vegetables and meats. On the other hand, my roommate, a gay guy, would invariably dine on hyperprocessed food. I still cringe at the memories of coming home to the inevitable sickly sweet stench of reheated frozen food sauces and fried Spam sandwiches.

<Darth Vader voice>
If you only knew the power of Noodles Romanoff in a box!
</Darth Vader voice>

Last night I had Stouffer’s microwaved macaroni and cheese.

I think a couple of weeks ago I made the effort to make some spaghetti (brown ground beef, add a jar of spaghetti sauce, add to noodles, eat).

The last time I did anything I’d consider “cooking” was a few months ago, when I made some Japanese curry. That only qualified since I peeled & cut up some potatoes and carrots to put into it.

I have a carefully controlled experiment to share with you. The sample size ain’t great, but you can’t beat the control conditions.

I lived near a single gay guy who worked in my office. We had the same drive to work, the same pay, same workout routine, and same apartments (basically). We’re the same age. We’re both devilishly handsome specimens of manliness and both love independent film and good classic rock. I’m taken now, but he’s still on the market.

We both appreciate a nice home-cooked meal, but not enough to bother making one. He and I each ordered in pizza about once a week, reheated microwaved food once a week, went out once or twice a week, and scavenged for leftovers pretty often too.

Short answer: no.

Additional disclaimer: how can you even imagine that a population that poorly-defined (“all single gay males” or “all single straight males”) would have any pattern to their eating habits. Gay people are just like straight people: they’re all different, and if you talk to them for an hour, you’ll have a “me too” moment and a “well I never” moment just like with anyone else.

I just got home from work and I’m already 3/4 of the way through a pint of Ben & Jerry’s.

:frowning:

So… no.

Well, being attracted to guys sure doesn’t help my cooking ability - I can hardly boil water without intervention.

Of course, I’m bi, so maybe that explains it.

Wow. You’ve got me pegged exactly. I’d never exchange money for the things you list at the end of that paragraph, and arugula is my favorite thing in the world. I can’t really fire-roast anything in my kitchen, though.

Speaking for a segment of the straight population… how do you define “better”?

Frankly, I’d much rather bring home a pizza or a Whopper with cheese and onion rings and wash it down with a Coke or a chocolate shake than toss together a “fabulous” arugula salad and grilled mahi-mahi and search for the right wine to complement them.

I’ve HAD arugula salads- so I know what I’m not missing!

In all seriousness, I’m a decent cook when I can find the time. But when I was single, I rarely took the time to cook elaborate meals just for myself, and now that I’m married with a kid, the meals I cook are usually simple and practical. I save my serious cooking for special occasions. And I would imagine most gay guys do the same, assuming they’re gainfully employed, and don’t have all sorts of spare time.

Wow!!

My kind of man!!!

You are a man, right?!

Dude. Not in this thread.
Myself, I’m hetero and in the category of “can cook but doesn’t”. I can also do my own sewing and darning, but “Can hetero men sew?” is another discussion entirely.

<quasi-political hijack>

Anyone notice that it’s okay to negatively stereotype whites, Christians, and now straight men, but not anyone else?

</quasi-political hijack>

Well, yes as the originator of the OP I was getting all weepy over my self stereotyping, but being the heterosexual white man that I am, I drank a few beers, slapped myself in my ruggedly handsome stubbled face a few times and told me to get over myself. It solved the problem and I moved on.