Do you de-string a banana?

If I was eating a banana when I read that it would be all over my screen right now.

Yup. And I’ll have you know the only thing deficient in me is my potassium levels :D.

How do people get so finicky about their food? There’s another thread about drinking milk after a cat.

I love oranges but it takes me way longer to peel, de-pith and de-string them than it does to eat them.

Well, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle’s nephew!

Because they can? I don’t mean that to be as snarky as it sounds, but how is this trivial, silly little issue considered “so finicky” and why would one not eat something the way they find it most pleasing? As for the milk thread, I think that’s more about how grossed out or not people are about drinking something after their butt licking, mouse chewing overlord has transferred his funk unto the glass, i.e. how grossed out are you by your pet’s mouth?

I do not get the texture thing at all. I’ve heard about this before, but it boggles my mind: texture?

I’m not trying to be flippant or dismissive, but texture? That’s like saying you don’t like … well, I can’t even think of an analogy. Texture? Don’t most people eat ice cream and crunch peanuts with no issues between?

I’ll never understand the texture angle.

Oh; so you’re one of those uncivilized string eaters!:wink:

Wellllll, it will take someone *far *smarter than I to explain this, but I think the whole eating experience encompasses a lot of different factors. So, it’s not just the literal taste - i.e. the particular taste buds that are pinged- but the whole package, including how it smells, how it feels when you’re teeth grind down on it, the way it does or does not dissolve in one’s mouth (I think this is all covered by the overused, obnoxious term “mouth feel”). Can you think of anything that, the overall flavor is okay but there’s something about it that you don’t care for? For me, I like the flavor of most berries but the seeds are off putting. Pear is an awesome flavor but there’s a certain feeling, almost like grit or something, that I detect when I chew on it. I love bananas but it’s not at all hard for me to understand why many people hate them. They are weird. They’re mushy, and leave kind of a furry residue in your mouth, and god forbid you get a string. . .
Sorry if that doesn’t make sense; I have no doubt someone will explain it coherently.

Yeah, if it just isn’t an issue for you ever I’m sure it is hard to relate. But it is pretty common, I think.

Sclereids ;).

Bananas, particularly ripe ones, have to me an off-putting sliminess. I can even detect the texture in smoothies*. Used to be I could eat under-ripe, slightly green bananas. But I just don’t bother anymore as I’m an adult and am allowed to be unreasonably picky at my age. Since I like most other fruit it isn’t an issue. I love pears for example. And I’ll happily eat stuff like fried plantains.

• A friend, scoffing at this notion, once attempted to fool me with a home-made smoothie with a tiny amount of banana masked by stronger fruit flavors. I picked it out immediately :D. It was such a small amount it didn’t bother me much, but he was shocked I could actually detect it at all.

For once, I’m with Fenris. I peel off the ones that start coming off while peeling, but otherwise don’t care. They’re flavorless, and they don’t stay stringy when you chew them, so they’re harmless.

When I peel a banana, the strings roll up into another dimension. They’re still there, just not interacting.