Do you ever want to say f**k this shit and give it all up?

By lecturing myself that the only thing that would suck more than work would be retirement with insufficient money.

When you give up hope, you’ve lost it right there. Sad for you.

If you cash in, they win. I don’t know who ‘they’ is, but I’m not going to let them win.

Nope. The alarm gets me awake, but it has a snooze button. It’s the full bladder that gets me up. After that, it’s like StGermain said, only without horses and with a few more odd projects. The dogs can only hold it in so long.

Every. Damn. Day. I get up and put my head in my hands and cry. The only thing that gets me up in the morning is the knowledge that my dog needs me to take care of him. And he’s a cute, affectionate sucker, so it’s worth it. Then I make coffee and breakfast, turn on the TV, watch McHale’s Navy and my mood starts to improve.

This is it for me, really. I get up because not getting up isn’t a viable solution in the long run. Take a day off now and then, but 20 years from now, your bank account is going to reflect how often you said fuck it and how often you put your nose to the grindstone.

I’m always doing the hard stuff first, in anticipation of the eventual payoff. Hand me a bag full of jelly beans and I’ll eat the black ones first - they’re my least favorite. I’ve now improved the overall quality of the jelly beans left in my hand. I’ll make sure my very last one is my favorite flavor.

Truly this is it - focus outward, be of service to others.

Am I the only one that thought of the Drew Carey quote: ““Oh, you hate your job? Why didn’t you say so? There’s a support group for that. It’s called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.””

I did, it’s great.

Do you ever want to say fk this shit and give it all up?

More than once. But I didn’t, and I am so glad that I didn’t. Even though I am currently unemployed, life is still pretty damn good right now.

Hang in there, bro.

I have an alarm clock that’s about 2ft 10in tall with blonde curly hair. She gets me out of bed quite effectively, either by kicking me in the groin or bouncing on my head.

As for the rat race; I’d give that up in a heartbeat if we could afford to move to the country and do fun stuff instead of working.

Everyday. Some days I don’t get out of bed.

Depends on your point of view.

Those of you who don’t get out of bed, how do you afford that luxury?

Existentially? I know I’ll never cover everything there is to perceive, do, know, or say something about while I’m walking this oblate spheroid. But having no idea if I get any other chances beyond, I’d like to take in what I can handle.

Rat-race-wise? Well…

Heh… yeah, that has a lot to do with it. Prosaic and pedestrian, says someone? Hey, the universe does not owe me a first-world middle-class existence, I’ve seen “living on the edge” and totally hated it, and I’m still at least a decade (or two?) away from being happy with “simple living”. I want to delay becoming a burden as much as I can.
Thing is, the opportunities for something more self-realizing or aesthetically satisfying or less stressful have not come looking for me sitting at home, but rather I have found them *while *I am out there doing what has to be done and facing what each day brings.
…and then there’s the knowledge that waiting right outside there is a line of fools a block long ready to jump on the void I’d leave… who I don’t trust to not make a complete mess of things.

I’ve had it rough recently, still trying to get back into daily life, and my best friend had to die. So no cat to wake me up and accompany me through the day. It’s been rough, I wish I had a job to go to.

I’m on disability and don’t work. It’s not a luxury, but I don’t need to be out of bed at a certain time. If I want to sleep past noon, I can. And do if my giveashit supply has fallen low enough. There are times I say “fuck my life” but all in all, it could be worse. As I said, taking care of my dog gives me a reason to be up and rebuilds my supply of giveashit.

I’ve had my share of problems that I"m working on addressing. I’ve done a lot, but now I notice my life is really mundane. I don’t feel alive or excited at all, things are mostly just boring and bland. On the plus, less drama and unpredictability so yeah.

Unless you are genetically resilient I think the feelings you (the OP) are talking about are normal.

You just have to find whatever pleasure you can in life. There is a reason travel, luxury, entertainment and food are such big parts of the economy.

If you want genuine meaning you probably need to feel connected to people and feel like you are helping them. Easier said than done though.

I’m on disability for Major Depressive Disorder.

No way. Oh, occasionally even I get depressed, but life is sweet,the sweetest thing ever. It helps that I’ve lived my life mostly how I wanted to, disregarding most people’s expectations of me. Every day may not bring something wonderful but every week will.

Yeah but the Maine Coon starts to purr at me and the short haired fur ball licks my fingers and the toddler says prease and t’ank ou and then there’s the down comforter, the husband’s hug and the jokes the eleven year old tells so I soldier on. Also chocolate and cherries. Those help.