Do you ever want to say f**k this shit and give it all up?

I’ve been at my job 20 years and I’ve probably got another 20 to go before I can retire.
That thought makes me want to curl up in the fetal position and cry.
But hey, everyday above ground is a good day.

I have a Drew Carey quote for the op.

“There’s a support group for that. It’s called everybody, and they meet at the bar.”

And FTR, if you’re thinking of a competition for who has the worst life be advised you will always lose.

Choose Talisker 10 Year, Lagavulin 16 Year, Ardbeg Uigeadail, or anything from Laphroaig. Neat or with a bit of water for the Laph.

Add an admiring and cuddly wife, a couch, a blanket and a movie at home.

Priceless.

Laphroaig is disgusting and Ardbeg isn’t much better.

I don’t just mean the rat race, whatever that is, I mean everything. Load of cobblers.

Actually, it’s pretty hard to find cobblers these days. Get yourself qualified in cobblerology, then you’d be able to dump your current job/life and set up shop pretty much wherever you want. And people would adore you and you’d be fiendishly popular and probably rich.

Well, it’s a thought. Maybe not a useful one, though.

I lived for several months in LA out of my car. Lived on my own in Salt Lake with a monthly income of something like 700 bucks. Based my life in a guest room in Baltimore that I was only welcome in once per week.

I truly experienced more fun times than I ever thought were possible and also had the reverse, times of despair.

Both were better than dressing business casual 5 days a week and working for some faceless corporation where even your supervisors don’t seem to understand logic.

However, at some point we all need money.

Yeah, I don’t have an answer for that either - but I do have a dog who will poop on the floor if I don’t get out of bed and walk him. It’s not much but most days it’s enough.

cute alarm clock, so who lets her out of the kennel to do her dance on your head? :wink:

Per the OP - I said it yesterday and abdicated my throne, i tried to orchestrate a bloodless and silent coup, but instead i said fuck this shit and left.

I have an 15 pound ball of furry dog that stands on my chest at about 6AM every morning to let me know that it’s time to pee, poop, and eat. So that takes care of the getting up part. Seriously, she has an amazingly accurate internal alarm clock. I actually don’t bother setting an actual alarm anymore.

As for the rest of it, I’m going through a tough slog myself. (separated for 8 months after 28 years of marriage) I live in a city about 6 hours away from my family. Because of my soon-to-be-exwife’s social shyness, we never cultivated many friendships, so I don’t have a local support network.

Soooooooo…I’m getting off my ass and doing stuff. The ex-wife never cared for hiking. I do. Now I’m going hiking whenever the fuck I want. She didn’t care for my car restoration hobby. Fuck it, I have two project cars in the garage right now. She said she liked to cook, but never did. I’m cooking at home almost every day, trying new things.

As for the rat race, it’s kind of the cost of admission, you know. Keep it in perspective and it’s not so bad. My job is what I do so I can enjoy the other parts of my life, it IS NOT my life.

And my job isn’t that bad anyway. I’m damn good at what I do. Seriously, I am. My annual review yesterday was the second highest total assessment score in the company this year. I work with some really good people on my team. I actually like MOST elements of my job.

So, [Kenny Loggins] I’m alright. [/Kenny Loggins]

Amazing how many people cite their pets as a reason for living. Very depressing for those of us with allergies. :frowning:

I guess I’m not the only one thinking that. :slight_smile:

Every day except for weekends and holidays. But I do the same thing I’ve always done - I get up and I do it.

Believe it or not, if you do that long enough, it begins to pay off. But I still fucking loathe it, especially the weekdays ending in “y”.

dammit, I thought I searched for it before I posted.

I don’t think anyone has “cited their pet as a reason for living”, I know I certainly didn’t. She’s a great alarm clock, and yes, she is a comfort, but she is not my only reason for living.

My reason for living is, well, shit I don’t know, guess I didn’t even think there was a reason for not living. I’m tough enough mentally to survive a separation and impending divorce. I actually think I will come out the other side of it with a better chance at happiness. She (the soon to be ex) has self-esteem issues that caused her to be reclusive, and then eventually to cheat on me when men said things that boosted her ego. She was easy pickings for facebook romeos. So, yeah, I don’t need that shit.

I guess for me the title of this thread would be “fuck this shit, I’m outta here”. That is the emotion I feel sometimes, not “give it all up”.

Do you really want to miss out on future examples of hilarious “Ulster-Scots” dialect?

(Might not have mentioned it before, but I got the book “Making Sense of the Troubles” a while ago per your recommendation and it’s great!)

It’s the best book on the subject I’ve read. I cannae do wi’oot the Ulster-Scotch leid.