Do you have an irrational prejudice against anyone in the film industry?

Back in 2005 or so, Peter Jackson’s King Kong came out. On IMDB boards at the time, there was a bunch of idiots who were trying to call the “next Matrix.” At the time, the Matrix was being hailed as one of the greatest films of all time, and I think a lot of people regretted ignoring it when it was in the theaters, so they were trying to identify new films that would have a similar historical effect and get in on the ground floor. Since then, I have this irrational negative impression of PJ and can’t get excited about any of his films.

How about you?

Meagan Fox. I really don’t know why. I only saw one of the movies she was in, (Transformers), and yeah it sucked, but it’s not worth holding it against the people who are in the movie. For some reason I just don’t like her.

Yes, I do, and I know it’s irrational because I don’t know any of them personally. Kate Hudson. Charlie Sheen. Every Kardashian. As I get older, the list gets longer, I’m afraid. Shouldn’t I get more tolerant with age? Or do I just get more and more tired of BS?

Ever since I stopped watching television (I still watch a few TV shows online/DVDs or what not), I’ve found that I don’t really hate anyone in the media anymore. They’re all considerably less annoying when you’re only watching a few of your favorites a week and are never exposed to commercials.

Pauly Shore, but hey, is that really irrational? I ask you.

Tyler Perry and Sean Penn come to mind. I started to mention them in the “I Can’t ***** Stand” thread but didn’t for opposite reasons:

Penn- I think he’s a brilliant actor but I cannot frigging stand his political grandstanding and his photo-op activism and his humorlessness and obvious narcissism and “I think therefore it is” attitude.

Perry- I have no idea what he’s like as a person and for all I know he endows orphanages and provides jets to transport sick puppies and kittens for surgery so I’ll give him a pass there, but his movies are the most simplistic dreck on the face of the planet. He basically worked an “amusing for 5 minutes at it’s best” drag act into a multibillion dollar career as a Christian artist. Also at least a good share of my irrational prejudice is against his audience for their hypocrisy: that they can cry at the bathos of whatever woman who’s been beaten up by 1-dimensional-evil-rich-guy deciding to hook up with 1-dimensional-wonderful-working class-guy and say “Amen” to the gospel song and more-blatant-than-a-2nd-grade-production-of-EVERYMAN-in-its-moral-message can hoot and scream approvingly when Madea is beheading somebody with a skill saw while quoting COLOR PURPLE is just sickening.

I started to include ROSEANNE, whose sitcom I loved, but I don’t think that’s irrational prejudice. Outside of her sitcom she’s an ill informed obnoxious drama queen old bat.

Adrien Brody - I think he was way overrated for The Pianist, and he pretty much ruins King Kong for me. And I thought he was horribly miscast in Predators, though it probably would have still sucked without him. I did think he was good in The Brothers Bloom. But I generally have an instant dislike for him.

Playing somebody involved in the Holocaust (either side strangely) or somebody mentally retarded (which is rarely a difficult acting job) will get you an Oscar nod almost every time.

I started a running joke with my brother that any Kurt Russell film would send us to sleep.
I think it was the 80s “action hero” stuff that set that off. There were a lot of actors trying for that role.

Looking at his wiki , he’s a better actor than I give him credit for -

I’d always felt Dennis Hopper was more known for playing himself, surviving, and being in the right place at the right time to land some roles. And that Kerouac/On the Road/ biker genre bores me to death.

but then you did ask for irrational prejudice.

Matthew McConaughey, and Vince Vaughn.

They definitely rub me the wrong way.

Mark Ruffalo - something just smarmy about him. can’t stand him.

Rachel McAdams - overmannered as an actress and picks nothing but shit projects. Also was in The Notebook, and anyone associated with that movie gets permanent points off.

Amanda Siefried - can’t act and also chooses only shit projects.

Ryan Gosling - not so much irrationally hate as don’t get. I keep reading reviews calling him the next Brando, but then I see his performances and he’s ok, but nothing special. I didn’t get what was supposed to be so great about Half nelson, for instance. It bored the shit out of me. Nothing happened.

I did see a movie on cable once where he played a Jewish Neo-Nazi (it was weird) and he wasn’t bad in that, but I haven’t seen Brando in the guy yet - or even Edward Norton.

Also, he was in The Notebook.

To stay on track: “irrational” would be for a reason that has nothing to do with their actual ability. Hating Ewe Boll, for example, would be perfectly rational because he sucks. However, hating somebody whose movies you’ve never seen would be irrational.

I think a lot of people have this kind of feeling toward Zach Braff. He’s probably a nice guy, but a lot of people just thinks he’s such a…douche bag or something.

I’ve never read anything to imply he was a nice guy, but I’ve read lots to imply he was a douche. The PUNK’D episode- while anybody would be mad at their car getting scraped- shows how much rage he has.

I have never watched even 5 seconds of Zach Braff’s acting, but I know who he is from a few random talk show appearances (Leno, Conan) and from reading about what a hugely egotistical, arrogant piece of shit he supposedly is from several various posters right here on SDMB.

I don’t recall any specifics, but there are multiple Dopers who have met him (or at least had “friend of a friend” stories about him) and all of them seem to absolutely loathe the guy…

Ironically, a Punk’d episode made me respect Matthew Perry from “Friends” at least a little. The ep was about stolen cars, he had nothing to do with it, but instead of going all celebrity, or panicking like a pussy (looking at you, Elijah Wood), he clammed up like a made guy. I liked it. :slight_smile:

Tom Cruise. Serious nut case. The whole Oprah’s Couch, Matt Lauer psychiatry is a pseudo science thing completely turned me off. I won’t spend money on anything he’s associated with.

Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. Whack Jobs. Collecting children. Adulterers… Same thing with both of them… They won’t see any money from me.

Meg Ryan and Russel Crowe. She was married to Dennis Quaid and Mr. Crowe schupted her. I kinda hate them both now. I know it’s irrational. But that was what the OP asked for…

Nicholas Cage. I don’t think he’s that good of an actor and he appears in far too many movies. Many where he is a horrible casting choice.

Megan Fox. Just go away.

Shia LeBeouf. Same thing as above, just appearing in too many movies. I guess I have a thing for that. It bugs the shit out of me. A few years back it was Ben Stiller who was in everything. Now it is Nicholas Cage and Shia LeBeouf.

This isn’t exactly a mitigating factor, but…

Tyler Perry is a product of something called “The Preachies,” a hybrid of live theater and the Black (African American) Baptist church. The plots, characters and style of humor come from a very specific theatrical tradition exemplified by such plays as Your Arms Too Short to Box with God and Why do Good Girls Fall for Bad Boys?

It’s a style of entertainment specifically tailored to a demographic that isn’t you, kind of like Justin Bieber and the Grand Ole Oprey. Don’t take it personally.