Do you own a Hyundai Accent?

I have to buy a new car. I want a simple, standard shift, easy to repair car that gets good gas mileage. I keep seeing this ad on TV for the Hyundai Accent and the price is really good.

What has been your experience with the car and would you recommend it? I have a Mazda 323 with 198,000 miles and the engine is outlasting the body. I want something comparable.

Hell no. Buy another Japanese car. Steer clear of the Koreans. Japanese cars are still some of the best made for the money.

Mazda is coming out with a spiffy new hatch called the “3” to replace the 323. It looks like it’s going to be a fun little car.

I have had a couple of great experiences with Mazda’s cars. I’d buy another in a heartbeat.

However, I’d also buy a Honda or Toyota before anything made by one of the “Big 3” American automakers and definitely before anything made in Korea.

My mother owns one. a 96. This was before Hyundai made their 10 year warranty. It’s an ok car. You get what you pay for, though. While the mechanical parts of the car might be ok, they save money by scrimping on interior trim and things like the little plastic piece that holds the window in the track. I don’t know if they have made improvements in that sort of thing, but mechanically, they are fine.

BrianS, seems you’re quite uninformed. Hyundai has made huge strides in recent years and according to Consumer Reports, is virtually on par with Honda and Toyota as far as reliability. Not only that, but Hyundai offers the best warranty found in America, 10 years/100,000 miles. Plus, as you mentioned, the prices for Hyundais are truly impressive.

I hired a Hyundai Accent when I was in the US and drove it over 3000 miles. I’m not sure what you mean by “standard shift” but the car I hired had a manual transmission.

It was a fair little car. It ran well, had enough guts to keep up with highway traffic and it was cheap on fuel. The manual gearbox was a trifle notchy, but all in all, not a terrible box.

The interior fittings weren’t the best, however. The plastic parts seemed pretty cheap and easy to break.

Overall, it was a “decent” drive.

As said above, however, the new Mazda3 will be worth watching out for. It’ll cost you more, but it has a lot more sex appeal than an Accent.

I own a 1998 Elantra, and I’ve been very happy with it. Drives well, no major problems with anything so far, and it was very very cheap.

My Accent’s a few years old and is past 80,000 now, and I’ve never taken it in for anything but dink work and such. Then again, I’m negligent.

It’s worth looking at a Toyota Echo if you have concerns about Hyundai reliability. Toyota has an excellent reputation for quality and reliability. The Echo is small, but it lists at somewhere around $10,000. I have friends who own one. They love it. Despite it’s tiny size, it has lots of headroom, and I’m pretty comfortable both driving it and being a passenger, and I’m 6’2".

I happen to like my little purple eggplant car (99 Accent). I am not, however, looking for much other than goes the speed limit, reverses and stops when I want it to. No little plastic thingiemabobs have fallen off of mine. Great fuel economy. Actually, since I am currently in Wales and the eggplant is being looked after by my mom, I have found that I really miss it.

That is great news about the new Mazda 3 in a hatchback. The link is an Australian site; is this car coming out in the US? I hope it’s not too expensive. So…that is great news because I haven’t owned anything but a Mazda in 16 years, which is just two Mazda 323’s. So…I wonder when it’s coming out?

I own a 98 Mazda Protege. No complaints.

My wife has a 2000 Toyota Echo. Again, no complaints.

I would recommend either car.

I have a 2003 Elantra, which is just an Accent that ate more spinach.

Anyone who says Korean cars suck doesn’t know what the hell they’re talking about. My Hyundai is an absolutely outstanding car. After 65,000 klicks it runs like a top. It’s got good pickup for a car its size, a lot of internal room for a compact (I’m a big guy, and I’m very comfortable in it) drives great, and doesn’t feel plasticky or cheap. I tested both the Civic and the Elantra and could not find one rational, objective reason to buy a Civic. The value for my money beat the Honda or the Toyota, easy. My buddy who owns an Accent loves it. I highly recommend either car; I have heard of some issues with their larger models, though, like the Santa Fe and Sonata.

Hyundais are highly reliable and you won’t find an equivalent car with better options for your money. Anyone looking for a car in that class would be a fool not to seriously consider it… however, when buying a car, you should test drive at least 5-6 competing models. I tested the Civic (four door AND coupe), Corolla, Elantra, Cavalier, Sunfire, and a Mitsubishi car - I can’t remember the model name.

Do a lot of shopping around; if you only fixate on one brand you’ll never know what you’re missing. I certainly did not set out to buy a Hyundai - actually, I only drove it because the dealership was across the street rom another place, so it was easy to walk to. My Dad just bought a Subaru, and he barely knew the brand existed before he shopped - but by shopping around he got the vehicle he liked most.

I have a 2003 Accent. I have no complaints. It’s quite nice on the inside (fabric seats, carpeted floor mats). It gets great mileage and mine is a pretty red! I’m not very picky, though. I just want something to get me around.

No but I have a slight Chicago Accent…I got it for free and it had very low mileage.

Yes I do.

One is named Jang Dong-Huhn. The other is named Cho Sung-Hee.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Although to be honest, they kind of sound like New York Accents to me, but YMMV.

Cartooniverse

I was looking at a Mazda Protege as well. It’s supposed to be the same car as the 323.

But, this Mazda 3 sounds interesting. I guess no one knows when we might see it on the lot? I’ll have to google around and see if I can find something on this.

The Toyota Echo also sounds like a possibility.

I’m just the as long as it gets me where I’m going type as well. Oh, and also drives well in blizzards, which my Mazda 323 excells at. Ah, Maine in the winter…

I don’t have a Hyundai Accent, but I do have an English one.

I’ve got a Tiburon, and it runs wonderfully. My ex drives a Tiburon, too–his has never had any problems.

So, I’ve had good luck with Hyundais.

Echo owner here. Echoes kick serious amounts of ass, especially for the price.

Lobsang, I’ll see you and raise you. I have both a Hyundai Accent and a Hybrid Accent (British and American)!:wink:

I bought my Hyundai two years ago, and I’ve had no complaints at all. She accelerates beautifully, gets very good highway mileage, and is comfortable and easy to drive. Of course, her predecessor was a Geo Metro convertible, so please make the appropriate allowances. It’s decent in snow, and does well on hills. I’d recommend it.

CJ