Your Humble Opinion on the new Hyundai Accent

Shown here is the car that I am hoping to purchase in the very near future. According to this review, it seems like a decent car. However, I know nothing about Accents (or cars in general). I would be getting the 2001 Hyundai Accent GS. Any opinions about this car, real or imagined ( :wink: ), would be greatly appreciated.

A friend of mine had an older model, I think it was a 98 or a 99. While it looked cute, it ran like crap. He put tons of money into repairs. Over the weekend, I saw an ad saying you could get a 2001 for like $7500. I’m sure that was with all kinds of savings and down paments, but the thought of getting a brand new car for that cheap just made me cringe. It’s like Payless shoes…sure, you’re only paying $9 for that pair of sneakers, but when they fall apart in a month, you understand why :slight_smile:

I drive one…go ahead and laugh! Major points:

-They have a nice 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

-Good gas mileage.

-Some dealers offer free oil changes for as long as you own the car.

-Some items that should be standard but aren’t include the dashboard clock (strange) and the remote hatch/trunk release.

-It’s a nice basic package, but some of the interior elements look a little cheap.

-Not so good in the snow, but started just fine at 25 below zero.

I tell ya, it’s a shame about the Hyundai. I mean they’re so ugly! They get good mileage though.

Eh, not the greatest of cars, it seems, but inexpensive. However, I’ve heard tell that the Kia Rio (is that the one?) is under $10K for a brand-new one, and runs and maintains rather well for a car of that price. Perhaps you should look into that, instead?

Or if you’ve got a bit more money to spend, take a gander at Ford’s ZX2… it looks a tad sportier. A new one will go for just over $10K, but you can probably find a '99 model year for around $7K-$8K. Again, not the most powerful or roomy car on the block, but inexpensive.

I prefer a Scottish Accent, tihihihihi… :smiley:

doding rotten veggies

— G. Raven

“Tilt one back wit’ me dog!”

I already did, before I found the Hyundai. No one around here seems to know much about the Kia and I’m getting both negative and positive reports from people I know. None of these people have ever owned a Kia, so it seems to me that they’re just talking to hear themselves speak. I do, however, know people who’ve owned the Hyundai Accent (as well as other Hyundai models) and most the reports come back as decent. Not the greatest car in the world, but it will take me where I need to go. (Which is to work and back, about 50 miles a day 5 days a week. I don’t go anywhere else very much.)

Thank you for your posts.

Be sure when you test drive it to see how it takes a hill and how easily you can speed up and merge onto the freeway. We had a Hyundai as a rental once (although I’m thinking it was an Excel, which is the bottom of the line) and it was so underpowered that I thought we were going to get killed trying to merge into traffic, even just going through a stoplight!

I drive a Kia, and I love it beyond all reason. If inexpensive and dependable are your top priorities, I’d advise you to check it out.

As for looks, the Accent is ugly. It just looks scrunchy. Nevertheless, if you’re in the market for a little, economical car, then the Accent is likely a good choice. If you care more about looks and performance, then stay far away from the Accent, or basically any Hyundai or Kia. I believe the 0-60 for the Accent GS is between 10 and 11 seconds. My friend’s minivan can beat that.

You get what you pay for. IMHO, it would be better to spend a little extra on a bigger one or two year-old car that has a history of reliability, safety and good performance. Also, isn’t the GS a hatchback? Never been a big fan of hatchbacks (Hey, this IS In My Humble Opinion. :)).

Check out Car Survey for some owner experiences.

I would buy a car with a lot more power that is 2-3 years old, and costs around $10k. New cars lose value way too quickly, especially the lower priced ones. Just my HO.

I was about to deliver a withering comment about the banality of this post until I realized it was me. I plead insanity [/slight hijack]

The Hyundai warranty makes me suspicious. I mean, it’s too generous. They have to stick it to you somewhere!

My '99 Accent hatchback is a little over a year and a half old, 15500 miles, no problems so far. Gets about 30 in the city (Boston) and 40 on long trips. The one thing I don’t like about it is its skinny tires - not the best for snow/ice. But that’s a lot of where the mileage comes from.

As for power, the manual version is much better than the automatic, which is crappy. People complaining about poor acceleration probably have the latter. I can still beat anyone around here, minivan to Mustang, off a stoplight.

I have this little trick, you see, where I press the gas pedal a little farther. I think I picked it up from my previous ride, a -really- slow accelerating vehicle - '77 Volks bus.

To reiterate others, you’re getting a new car like this why?

I just wanted to point out that my best friend’s name is Kia, and she absolutely hates the fact that a car company is named after her.

Beware Hyundai and KIA. Hyundai is better now than it was earlier, but sure as hell isn’t saying much.

Think Daihatsu.

I drive a 2000 Hyundai Elantra, which I love. We did not buy an Accent because I really disliked the way it looks. I don’t like that trunk/hatch thingie.

Anyway, as far as Hyundai goes, I like it. I like the warranty, and they did not “stick it” to us elsewhere to compensate. The only complaint I have is that the little hook to hold the passenger side floor mat in place broke off after about 6 months. Otherwise, I have no complaints. Good acceleration (I have the auto), good in snow/ice (I live in Denver so I get to drive in that a lot!) and I heard somewhere (sorry, no cite) that the Elantra has one of the best safety records as far as damage incurred.

Of course, all this is about the Elantra, not the Accent…but I think Hyundai is a good company for being so inexpensive and you will probably be happy with an Accent. Another car we looked at was the Ford Focus. Did you check into that one?

Okay, I’m not getting the Hyundai. Thanks for all your opinions. You can read about my new car here.