Does anybody remember these novelty songs from the '70s?

Do you remember hearing it? Do you remember the name? Who sings it? Huh?

The first one had a chorus that went
Move over boy, I’ve got better things to do
I got plans and they don’t include you.

and then a dorky sounding guy would say: My name is uh, uh Eugene.

Or, this song I posted in a pit thread somewhere recently–
Whatsa matta you?
Gotta no respect
Whaddya thinkin’ you do?
Why you lookin’so sad?
It’sa not so bad
Itsa nice-a place
Ah shutuppa you face!

Then there was Stars on 45. I think they had more than one single. It was a fake newsreporter with song snippets answering his questions.

Remember? Please remember and prove that I’m not insane.

Well, I remember the “shut up your face one”, and seem to remember it getting some heat from the Italian community. I’d say it was from the early '80’s, though those were basically the '70s for cultural purposes.

I remember the “shut uppa you face” song; I believe I saw it performed on ‘Solid Gold’.

Shaddup Your Face lyrics

The other song was “Eugene” by Crazy Joe & the Variable Speed Band (Casablanca Records, 1981)

“Stars On” were a Dutch studio group most famous for doing a couple of medleys of Beatles songs with soundalike vocals in a consistent disco tempo. There were two different “Stars On 45” Beatles singles, plus a 12" single, and an LP. They also did the Stones and Motown and a few others. These are from the early '80s.

The ones with the fake news reporter and the quotes from records are called “break-ins” and were popularized starting in 1956 or 57 by Buchanan & Goodman, and after (Phil?) Buchanan passed away, Dickie Goodman carried on and was still doing them in the '70s. I’m at work and have no access to my database, but he did ones such as “Mr. Jaws”, one on Watergate, and “Energy Crisis” among many others in the mid-'70s.

I remember the “newsreporter” ones - I think my cousin might even still have one of those. I think the news reporter’s name was Don Cameron Cameron. Our favorite was when aliens attacked.

I don’t know if that was the same group or not.

That’s just one in a long series of “space invaders” records by Buchanan & Goodman. He called his character “John Cameron Cameron” after famous newsman John Cameron Swayze. You are either remembering “The Flying Saucer” (1956) or “Flying Saucer The 2nd” (1957).

Vik Venus (a.k.a. Jack Spector) had a top ten hit in 1969 with Moonflight, in which his questions are answered by song clips. Sample:

Bill Buchanan just died in the mid-‘90s. He and Goodman parted ways for personal reasons and Buchanan, too, continued to make break-in comedy records with different partners. He also did a version of Phil Harris’ “The Thing” on which he actually sang! Goodman committed suicide in 1989.

“Shaddup You Face” was a minor hit in 1981 for Joe Dolce, who hung around with Jonathan Edwards of “Sunshine” fame (“Sunshine go away today”–remember that?) Dolce cowrote “Athens County” on Edwards’ first solo album in 1971.

Bill Buchanan just died in the mid-‘90s. He and Goodman parted ways for personal reasons and Buchanan, too, continued to make break-in comedy records with different partners. He also did a version of Phil Harris’ “The Thing” on which he actually sang! Goodman committed suicide in 1989.

“Shaddup You Face” was a minor hit in 1981 for Joe Dolce, who hung around with Jonathan Edwards of “Sunshine” fame (“Sunshine go away today”–remember that?) Dolce cowrote “Athens County” on Edwards’ first solo album in 1971. I think they were both part of a “scene” that included comedian/musician Martin Mull.

I well remember Stars on 45; they’re “still burnin’ through my mind”. When shopping a few months ago while on a trip, I came across LPs that were melted into cd holders. One of them was Stars on 45.

I seem to have confabulated two or three different songs. I remember Beatles song and the reporter songs and have mixed them in my head.
Thanks!

woot!
I remember all of those?

Lets see;
anyone remember Disco Duck?

Regrettably, yes.

Even more regrettably, its perpetrator is still gainfully employed in the radio industry.

Ah, how about the country novelty song, “The Assassination of Disco Duck”?

“That little yellow sucker’s layin’ heavy on my mind…”

What a wonderfully stupid decade! I loved it. 'Course I was just a wee beetle then…

How about…

“Hey baby, I’m your Telephone Man,
I can put it where you want it, I can put it where I can…”

or something like that.

On a semi-related note, when I was a kid, I was told that the song “Afternoon Delight” was about Twinkies. I’m not sure that I figured it out until about 20 years later.

And let’s not forget The Streak or Shriner’s Convention!

I stick them on in the middle of my alternative mixes when I burn a CD… just to make me laugh occasionally!

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Now that song is careening rampantly in my brain!

Would The Best Country Music Song by David Allen Coe be considered “novelty”?
I like it.