Does "Head On" really cure headaches?

I saw a commercial for a headache remedy called “Head On” that you just rub onto your forehead, much as you would rub ChapStik on. Does this actually work?

Here’s their website: http://www.headon.com

Well, for starters see this information:

Anything that cites one of the classic laws of magic tends to trip my BS detectors. It may well cure headaches, but I suspect it does so mostly via the placebo effect.

From their website:

Sounds like homeopathic hoo-hah to me:

I don’t think the “Law of Similars” is used in any scientific disciplines outside of homeopathy; likewise for “potentization”.

Simply put, if HeadOn® works, it’s all in your head.

Yup.

The HPUS is the Homœopathic Pharmacopœia of the United States.

Interesting that they make no explicit mention of their product’s homeopathic nature. It’s almost as if they felt consumers would be more inclined to buy something described as an “over-the-counter drug” rather than a “homeopathic remedy.” The package says ‘homeopathic’ on it, (as I’m sure is legally required.)

But the webpage is insulting. Plenty of talk about the “finest active ingredients,” but good luck to anyone who’s trying to find out what the “active” ingredient might be.

Speculation: It might be “homeopathic” and yet have a weak positive effect if it’s caffeine-based. It meets the “like cures like” requirement for homeopathy. (ie; headaches can be caused by constricted blood vessels, and caffeine is a vasoconstricter.) It also has a non-fantasy pharmacological effect on a common type of headache: caffeine withdrawal, which many people experience late in the day/evening as chronic achiness and headache.