Does it bother you when companies use "skinny" to describe products?

Based on this news story:

I know that some pretzel company was criticized for the use of the word skinny as well. Does using “skinny” or “thin” as a desirable or good thing bother you?

Me, I don’t really care. I probably wouldn’t think twice unless I’d seen this news story. Just wouldn’t occur to me that this was a thing to get annoyed about. What do the rest of you think?

It’s very mildly bothersome because it sounds unhygienic for a pop bottle to be made of skin. It doesn’t offend me for any other reason.

You’re not gonna like hearing about the Skinnygirl onesie. :slight_smile:

There aren’t enough eyerolls in the world to effectively respond to the kerfuffle.

Fuck 'em.

Not Pepsi, the people who think that Skinny is offensive. Fuck 'em.

“Skinny” per se doesn’t bother me.

The can is a “taller, sassier” version of the traditional can that the company says was made in "celebration of beautiful, confident women."

This bothers me on the basis of its being stupid. Is a taller can really sassier? And how the heck does that relate to celebrating the women described? Unless it’s meant to represent tall, sassy, skinny women, in which case Pepsi’s equating of “skinny” and “beautiful” and “confident” is worthy of criticism.

I think it’s obnoxious and cutesy. Just like skinny lattes and skinny jeans.

However, I don’t find it particularly offensive from a philosophical or whatever standpoint.

I do think that Pepsi is infusing too much meaning into the design of their packaging, which leads people who tend to be easily offended to read too much into said packaging. Can’t Pepsi just say that their can is sleeker (which implies skinny without saying it) or that it’s got a “fresher, more current” design? And isn’t diet soda by its very nature skinny? They have to know that by using the term “skinny” they’re going to piss people off.

See, that’s what I don’t get. I know that there are a lot of easily offended types out there, but why is skinny so bad? Isn’t it generally accepted that in our culture, thin/skinny is preferred to overweight or normal?

In a country where 1/3 of people are obese, I don’t think it’s a problem to encourage thinness.

Regardless, I had the reaction that heathen earthling had, thinking “skinny” was relating to skin.

How in the shit is a Pepsi can supposed to represent a beautiful, confident woman? This marketing campaign is one of the stupidest ones I’ve ever heard of, which is really saying something.

Generally speaking, no, hearing “skinny” in a product name would not bug me. However, when considered alongside Pepsi’s knee-bucklingly retarded ad campaign, it’s somewhat annoying. Only somewhat, though. Annoying enough for me to throw together a quick message-board post about it, but not annoying enough for me to issue a press release about how this is offensive to anorexics or whatever. (Seriously, what?)

For what it’s worth, I’m not saying I understand why people are offended by the name. But people seem to look for opportunities for outrage. Particularly when it comes to women and weight.

[hijack]Another example I’ve thought of is using the word “seniors” or “elderly” when you’re talking about Medicare. In my field (Medicare product management for a company dealing in entitlement programs), using those terms is verboten, even though the majority of people eligible for Medicare are, in fact, considered “elderly.” Same for people with disabilities - if you call someone disabled in my field, you’ll get kicked. Instead of saying “disabled person” they’re “a person with a disability.” I don’t see much difference, but apparently enough groups do that you never call someone disabled. They have a disability but aren’t disabled.[/hijack]

I wish to be slender. I do not wish to be skinny.

This sort of thing was featured on Jezebel a few months ago. If you really want to understand why it bothers some people, read the comments inthese posts, and particularly this one.

I don’t mind calling it a skinny can, but I think equating “skinny” with “beautiful and confident” (and “women” for that matter) is pretty stupid.

If the can has a smaller radius and taller height than a normal can then “skinny” seems to be an appropriate adjective. If they’re using “skinny” because the contents of the can have fewer calories than the normal can of soda, it seems to be a valid descriptor (see “skinny latte” which makes perfect sense).

However, using soda to celebrate “beautiful confident women” is stupid. And I’m not sure how an aluminum can is supposed to be “sassy.” It’s a can. And no one, no one, is using a can of soda as a fashion accessory, no matter how cool the can manufacturer says it is.

Quite right. I hate the way that obese people are trying to claim that their body shape is “normal” and ought to be “celebrated”. Bullshit. Morbid obesity is not a healthy, beautiful lifestyle choice.

(Let me be clear here, I’m not talking “curvy”, I’m not talking “carrying a little extra timber”, I mean “needs a bookmark to remember which arse-crack to wipe” fat.)

Meh, it just seems to be the buzzword du jour to describe the low calorie version of foods these days.
Diet, light, low-cal, smart, etc.

I’m obese and I don’t get offended by the idea of skinny anything. I would rather be skinny, myself.

I don’t think we have to celebrate big bodies. We just have to remember that there is a mind, heart and soul behind those bodies.

Does the confident woman-can have tits? Does skinny She_Pepsi have her hand on her hip and her head cocked to convey all that god damned sassiness?

Nope, it’s just shaped like a Red Bull. sigh

Seriously, who’s offended by this?

Huh, I’m kinda surprised to the meh in here. I find it pretty irritating – not because I think people should be offended by “skinny” (I’m a fat guy and have learned to deal) but because I think it’s borderline reprehensible for a snack food company to put “skinny” on their packaging.

It’s deceptive psychological marketing that’s clearly aimed at increasing the number of people who delude themselves into thinking unhealthy food is healthy.

I’m not opposed to junk food, but I’m opposed to companies pretending junk food isn’t.

Edit: Ah, I guess “skinny” was just describing the aesthetics. If that’s the case, I’m more meh. If they rebranded Diet Pepsi (ugh) to “Pepsi Skinny,” I’d be more annoyed.