Does Rubio’s departure help Cruz? Trump? Affect the convention's end game?

This is going to be interesting. With Trump’s historically huge negatives, it seems you’re either on the Trump Train now or you’re trying to derail it. So, I’m having a hard time seeing free delegates who had backed Bush, Rubio or most of the others - having Trump has their #2. Add these crazy negatives, even within his own party, to the general election polls, which show Trump getting curb stomped by Clinton and with Cruz almost even, I just don’t see how Trump comes out of a contested convention with the nomination. So, IMO, if Trump gets one less delegate than he needs to win the nomination on the first vote - I think we’ll see someone not named Trump has the guy.

Trump’s operation seems politically amateurish. Does he have the smoke-filled room chops to negotiate a brokered convention? I think if he doesn’t get it on the first round, he’s toast.

No idea who does, though. For the first time in 40 years I may actually watch the TV coverage of the convention.

Yeah, just like all those Ohioans did Tuesday night!

Oops! Quoted the wrong post.

Sorry.

He’s got money for lawyers though. The best lawyers, terrific lawyers. Lawyers who will shoot first and ask questions later, believe me. You have no idea.

To address the OP’s main question: I just don’t see Rubio’s delegates or his supporters among the voting public making a difference. As posted earlier, the delegate situation is far from simple. For future primary voters, we haven’t seen anyone drop out yet where their supporters formed a solid bloc in moving to someone else and I don’t think we’ll see it here either. Each of the remaining three will pick up a couple extra points. Maybe Cruz gets four points and Trump only two, but that’s not game-changing.

I pretty sure that branch of the party is immune to reality.

Kasich is probably going to do better in the North & Midwest than a Southern Baptist, Texas oil industry guy like Rafael ‘Ted’ Cruz.

Also Cruz is hated by his fellow senators to an astonishing degree.