As you have gotten older, has the quality of service at stores and other businesses become more important to you when choosing where you go to spend your money?
When I was a young guy, I didn’t really give a rat’s butt about how people treated me when I went into a store. In fact, I wanted them to leave me the hell alone. I thought it was creepy- having someone call me “sir” and ask a bunch of questions about what I was looking for, etc. I remember snickering at my mother for saying something like “I am not going to that store, the service there is just dreadful, lets drive across town to this store, they treat you right.” I just cared about how close the store was, what products they had, and how cheap it was.
Fast forward 20 or 25 years. Something weird has been happening to me over the past few weeks. I actually have started to notice good service. In fact, I am starting to like having people wait on me and it is having some influence on my spending habits.
Example, I went to an actual men’s store away from the Mall. You know, where they sell suits and stuff for work and stuff for guys over 40. First of all, all of the salesguys are adult men, men with kids in college, mortgages, and a Camry car payment. How do I know this stuff about them? They have a little living room with a plasma with ESPN on it where the salesmen and the shoeshine guy hang out with the customers while we all wait for stuff. When you go in, they ask you your name and help you out, calling you Mr. Oh and Sir. The guy even waits outside of the dressing room when you try on stuff and doesn’t move until you come out. If the pants are too long, he calls a tailor in, he measures you, and tells you that he can fix the hem, free of charge by the of the day. “Would you like us to press these for you today, Mr. Oh?” he asks. “We will call you when they are done Mr. Oh.” The experience was pretty freaking cool and not even that much more expensive. You are going to spend about $60 to $70 on a pair of pants that you need for work anyway, why not be treated nicely? I have been back twice since then.
I have had other positive experiences at an office supply place and an auto parts store where the employees (all over 40 year old males, coincidently) were professional as hell. What is happening to me? Has this happened to you?
