Does the Koran really promise Islamic martyrs 72 virgins?

Lot’s of people who are just as sincere and convinced as you are, have asked God earnestly and still believe something quite different than you do. I’m glad that you’re genuinely happy and at peace with God but that doesn’t mean you’ve got all the details right. It means you feel good about where you are for now as in, at this point in your life. You’re not done learning and growing and the details of belief you embrace so enthusiastically now may seem different to you down the road. Have a good journey.

There’s a slight typo there. :wink:

Ehhr whuh?

Um, are there Cliffs Notes?

It’s actually not that long, or so it seems.

Haven’t found any virgins as of yet, but I have found people being cursed so their skin turns black. And then uncursed and turned white again, for their good acts. So… yeah.

Not long after 9-11, a friend forwarded me an email joke in which one of the hijackers shows up in the afterlife. He’s beaten up by an enraged George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Patrick Henry and George C. Marshall for what he did to their beloved country. He complains through broken teeth, “I thought it was virgins, not Virginians!”

I know, but such typos are necessary here in CCC. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok, got the summong of the Twelve bit;

I’m guessing the “land Bountiful” is America, although it could be the wrong bit.

As for the meeting in heaven, apparently we may be met by 9 of these apostles…

…but not the other three, who aren’t dead.

Couldn’t find anything on virgins though, 72 or otherwise.

It’s just a particular part of the Nephite/Lamanite territory.

And you’d be surprised how many good deeds they perform for Mormons!

Oh yeah, MULs (Mormon Urban Legends) about the Three Nephites are legion.

For some reason, LDS culture loves those kind of apocryphal stories. When I was in the Missionary Training Center, there was one circulating around, probably old even at the time, about how Wilford Woodruff (4th Mormon prophet) met Cain (son of Adam, cursed) on the road one day…and Cain looked like Bigfoot. :stuck_out_tongue:

So the virgins have to be pure and clean, but do they have to be young?

I’m thinking Mother Teresa here. And 71 like her.

The full joke is available at the rec.humor.funny archive. I’m glad to hear how old the joke really is in its current form.

It certainly is.

I love Utah.

Heh heh … just so nobody’s confused, that Bountiful is a modern city in Utah, named after the Land Bountiful in the Book of Mormon, a territory supposed to be somewhere in the Americas which was in turn named after a location near Jerusalem. I think there’s a polygamist-colony Bountiful up in Canada, too.

This isn’t “The Land of Zion” for nothing, baby!

Is it somehow bad if I first thought of those “they’re my network” commercials for that wireless company?

“Much to Zarqawi’s surprise, the virgins who awaited him in Paradise were not quite what he expected.”

:smiley:

No, they got it all wrong… according to recent corrected translations, Islamic martyrs aren’t greeted by 72 virgins, but by only six.

Dude, that’s only five. :dubious:

Turns out there’s some confusion about the exact number of virgins.

One of them has been a virgin twice.