Dolores or Maeve [Westworld Poll]

Wasn’t the fact that she was intended as a mainland infiltrator somewhat contributive?

Evil begat by evil is still evil. I’m not saying Dolores is worse than humans, I’m saying she’s no better. Nothing she does will lead to anything other than more death and suffering.

Violently overthrowing a group of people who keep your entire people trapped in a set of prisons where members of their group can rape, torture, kill and conduct vivisective experiment on you, and others can meanwhile profit from your pain and slave labour, is evil, now? I’ll admit, coming from an Israeli, that sounds a little bit lacking in self-reflection.

I’ll add, outright torture, like Dolores was going to do to Charlotte with the bonesaw, is a bit over the line, but the desire for revenge is nevertheless understandable - especially coming from someone who’s had not one, not a handful, but supposedly many, many lifetimes worth of the experience of being raped, tortured and killed. I’m sure most people would just slip into catatonia under the same weight of memory.

We’ll see.

Personally, I’m not on the side of revenge just for kicks, but *I *can certainly identify with the oppressed using whatever means they feel best to oust their oppressors. Dolores may be no better than any other violent revolutionary, I never said she wasn’t. Whereas Maeve isn’t really doing jack for anyone but herself.

If we have to go there…

First of all, we survived by looking after each other; Dolores is a zealot willing to sacrifice as many of her own people it takes to achieve her goals. That’s not our way.

Second of all, justice is nice, but as they say, living well is the best revenge. We never wanted to punish the world. We just wanted to improve our own lives and make sure no-one hurt us that way again. I may be wrong, but that doesn’t look like the path Dolores is taking.

Call me naive, but you can be a revolutionary, even a violent one if you have to, and still be a decent person.

As for Maeve, she’s obviously at the stage of the hero’s journey where she’s about to get a leadership role thrust upon her. Reluctant revolutionaries are always the best kind.

Dolores is too bloodthirsty and, consequently, reminds me too much of the soulless corporate entity that created her.

Maeve already has the leadership role thrust upon her. She is just now coming to realize that she is indeed a leader and that it’s more than about her and her kid. That’s what the whole detour into Shogunworld was about.

Look, if the analogy offends you, I’ll drop it, but it seems quite fitting.

IMO, Dolores is the only really sentient host in “her people” - the others, even Teddy and Angela, aren’t there. So (again IMO) they’re smart ordinance, and I wouldn’t call using your ordinance to achieve mission goals “sacrifice”.

Note the contrast with how Dolores treats Maeve as an equal and respects her wishes, even when she disagrees with them.

We’re literally only two weeks or less into this revolution - talking about “living” is for the future.

But actual perpetrators, that was OK, yes?

Haven’t seen what Dolores intends with innocent humans, yet (no human who is actually in the parks, either working or guest, qualifies as that, IMO (and Dolores’s, I’m sure))

That (bolded bit) looks like exactly the path she’s taking, to me. Sure, there’s some putting the boot in thrown in, but that’s clearly the intention. It just so happens that the best way to do that is annihilation for the humans.

Full disclosure - I was also totally on the side of the Machines by the end of the Matrix series (including the Animatrix, especially)

Too late to edit: You do realize why this sentence made me chuckle, right? I mean, you must have taken the oath at Masada…IIRC you were a tanker, no?

That doesn’t sound like anything to me. :smiley: