DOOM3: Who's got it? Who's playing it?

I just finished.

I liked it. It wasn’t the most earth shatteringly great game ever, but the graphics were the best I’ve ever seen and the storyline, though pretty standard, was good enough to carry me along. I thought it got better toward the end.

It stopped crashing after I switched to the new ATI 4.9 Catalyst drivers.

The one problem I have is that the bosses were, um, weak. The only one I had trouble with was becuase the game gave me incorrect advice (spoiler warning):

The Guardian is NOT vulnerable when you’ve killed the seekers - the glowing blue thing over his back is vulnerable, but at no point does shooting him directly do anything useful. I got rather frustrated because the cube kept saying that bad advice over and over, when it could’ve just said “Shoot the blue thing!”
Then again, at least it wasn’t as bad as Sarge, who, after killing me once with his BFG died in about 2 seconds when I did a frontal assault on him with the chainsaw, just to see if that would work. Talk about vulnerable.

I liked the email chatter- it filled out the plot a bit and made it seem like more of a real place. A crappy place to work, that’s for sure, but someplace where actual people really worked, despite the fact they’re now all zombies.

One thing about the plot I would’ve liked filled out a bit more:

At one point it seemed like “MartianBuddy.com” was going to turn out to be something more than just a spammer. There were martian buddy crates at key points that just happened to give you (despite the fact they were supposed to be for other people) just what you needed at the time (Chain gun at the first pinky, that sort of thing). I thought they were going to turn out to be some sort of manefestation of the previous race that fought the demons, but alas they didn’t get into it. Why a spammer was shipping people storage containers filled with leathal armaments was rather puzzling.

Oh, and I thought the guy looked like Ray Liotta, but that may have just been me. I can also see the Robert Patrick thing too.

Somebody found a roll of duct tape

I thought he kinda looked like Charlie Sheen

A lot of people don’t know this, but when they filmd 1984, to make the image of Big Brother they photoshopped together images of a bunch of cranky, authoritative people (Stalin, the Ayatolla Khomeini, etc.). This picture looks like they blended together the images of a bunch of your basic rugged, dark-haired heroes–Chakotay, James Bond, they head of the security forces on Enterprise,, etc.

Nah, it’s the Doom I/II guy with his helmet off.
:slight_smile:

I just got a copy of this. My one line review: After an hour of play it goes on the shelf until the mods come out.

I have to say, I was BORED with this one. Sure, it looks pretty, but I think it needs more work. And by more work I mean it should be fun.

I found the graphics a bit hard on my ATI 9200. I’m not sure why rendering an entire screen of black was so grinding. I think I need to update my “black pixel drivers”.

I missed having a alt fire for guns, but bonking zombies with the flashlight ala LAPD vs Rodney King was kind of cool.

I give it a 4 out of 10 until the mods come out.

I hope someone makes a Western Doom 3 like they did with quake. But, on mars… with zombies.

A 9200? Darkness should be about the only thing it SHOULD be rendering. :slight_smile:

I don’t want to spoil anything for another big upcoming game, but

wait for HL2. Apparently, you can actually do crazy things like this in the new engine.

Has anyone ever seen a British show called “Travel Sick”? I swear it’s the host of that show.

Wow, the requirements for the graphics card are even higher than The Sims 2 - the TS2 supposedly will run with a ATI 7000…but we won’t know how well til this time next month. Considering how many people at the sims boards had to update their systems for TS2 (me, for example), I think your opinion is a little off. Maybe most hardcore gamers who live and breath games would be all set, but more casual gamers obviously aren’t. I know many people who like the doom series who don’t really consider themselves hardcore gamers, so I bet there are a lot of potential Doom 3 players who’ll need to upgrade too.

The 9200 renders Postal 2 and Unreal 2003 just fine.

As long as I have my Postal 2, I’m happy with it. :slight_smile:

There are still “casual” PC gamers? Where, in a wildlife preserve or something?

The PC version of Doom 3 is for hardcore gamers. The X-Box version is for casual gamers.

Will there be a free demo of this game, or did id Software stop doing that after Quake II?

There’s going to be a demo… eventually. Remember when the demo used to come out before the game? Ahh, those were the days.

Yeah I wonderered why there wasn’t a demo.

I should get my copy in about 10 hours. I ordered it on amazon. They dispatched it on friday so I’d be lucky to get it on Saturday (it happens) and I’d expect to get it on Monday. It’s now 340am tuesday so you are late amazon!
Gimme Game Now!
Want Game!

So, being a casual gamer who really digs co-op play… when can I get it for the Xbox?

No, really - a cursory look does not reveal a date.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3559624.stm

Actually, according to GameSpot’s most recent “Rumor Control” article, Doom 3 isn’t likely to hit until next year.

<sob> That’s awful. I can’t stand multiplayer, because frankly I’m not any good at this sort of thing, but my friends and I can enjoy playing things in co-op mode much more. I like a well-made FPS, but it’s not my favorite genre or anything and I’m pretty spectacularly bad at them. Kind of nice to have somebody who isn’t on my side. :slight_smile:

No-one’s any good when they begin. These days you can have fun losing, and cooperative games make life more interesting/easier for the beginners.

In my experience perciverence is the key. Respawn, see enemy, get killed, respawn, see enemy, get killed…20 minutes of same…respanw, see enemy, battle it out for 10 seconds, kill enemy HURRAY! (you’ve worked hard for that kill), see another enemy, get killed… an hour or so of deaths with the occasional kill… respawn, see enemy, kill enemy instantly.

In other words, you have to stick at it, but it’s worth it in the end.

(I am talking about multiplayer in general. Some games have innovative mp modes that make for far more interesting play)

Got it about 20 mins ago. But won’t be playing it for aprox 15 hours. I am drunk and at the end of a night shift. I am due sleep and if I can be arsed to carry my bloody heavy laptop bag, with an aleady broken handle, to work I will be playing it there.

I need a car (so that I can transport my laptop to work with ease, and one day run someone over whilst drunk and so end the worth of living my life)
Either that or splash out on the rucksack version of alienware bag (which on the site seems noticably bigger) so that carrying the laptop to work will be just like carrying my bag of heavy books to Uni.

Do any dopers own the alienware rucksack?

If so, do you load the laptop sideways? (so that the longest edge of the laptop is vertical) If so (again) does the housing rip off the rubber feet of the laptop? (like my bag did the first time I used it)