3. Boise
  4. Nebraska
  5. Oklahoma
  6. TCU
  7. Missouri
  8. Ohio State
  9. Wisconsin
    10, Utah

If **A Monkey with a Gun **does not check back in with this thread, I will compile the results. Monday Night.

(Of course I will skew it so Auburn comes out on top.)

WAR EAGLE!

I’m back. And War Eagle to you, too (I’m in the class of '97 BS Molec. Bio)

Anyway, here’s mine for the week:

1.) Auburn
2.) Oregon
3.) Alabama
4.) Utah
5.) Nebraska
6.) TCU
7.) Oklahoma
8.) Wisconsin
9.) Boise State
10.) Arizona

Though I am trying my damnedest not to be biased, I had to bump AU over Oregon. Though the Ducks handily beat a higher quality opponent than the Tigers, Auburn showed that they can use Newton as just a drop back passer and still beat an SEC opponent by three touchdowns. But don’t get insulted Oregon fans, I think Auburn and Oregon are the top two by a large margin.

One last thought: Fucking screw Boise State.

WEEK TWO RESULTS: POLL STILL OPEN

1.) Auburn (85 pts)
2.) Oregon (83)
3.) TCU (63)
4.) Boise State (62)
5.) Alabama (41)
6.) Utah (40)
7.) Nebraska (30)
8.) Wisconsin (23)
9.) Ohio State (18)
10.) Oklahoma (17)

Others receiving votes: Missouri (10), LSU (9), Stanford (9), Michigan State (5), Florida State (2), Arizona (1)

Boise State
Oregon
Auburn
TCU
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Alabama
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Stanford

Here’s my list for this past week (down goes Utah!). The first 4 are just placeholders. I’m not going to do serious evaluation between these 4 until the end of the season. If I only go on the current weeks result, I’ll constantly be flip-flopping between them.

1. Oregon
  2. Auburn
  3. Boise St.
  4. TCU
  5. LSU
  6. Wisconsin
  7. Ohio State
  8. Nebraska
  9. Stanford
  10. Michigan State

I don’t want to be too much of a homer, but 3 Big Ten teams with only 1 loss jump ahead of a lot of other teams.

Going purely by the last-week rank numbers, I’m putting the Big 10 teams (at 4-1 8-1) as 9 and 10:

1) Auburn (3)                 6-0 10-0 Southeastern West  
2) TCU (4)                    6-0 10-0 Mountain West 

3) Oregon (1)                 6-0 9-0  Pacific-10 

4) Boise State (2)            4-0 8-0  Western Athletic  

5) Michigan State (16)        5-1 9-1  Big Ten 

6) Utah (6)                   5-1 8-1  Mountain West 
7) Stanford (10)              5-1 8-1  Pacific-10 
8) LSU (12)                   5-1 8-1  Southeastern West 

9) Wisconsin (7)              4-1 8-1  Big Ten   
10) Ohio State (8)            4-1 8-1  Big Ten   
=================
11) Nebraska (9)              4-1 8-1  Big 12 North 
12) Oklahoma State (19)       4-1 8-1  Big 12 South 

Lots of movement this week. Utah is long gone; hell, they could drop out of the top 25 after that performance. When you only play one decent team a year, it’s good not to get blown out of the stadium. No kidding, though, I just looked through their opponents, and Utah was definitely coasting on reputation. Which is weird to say. They haven’t done a thing this year except squeak by a bad Pitt team and get blown out by the only top 25 team they’ve played.

LSU knocked an overrated Alabama team into the upper teens with the rest of the 2 loss teams. Just goes to show every year is a different team in college football. Last year Alabama looked unbeatable, this year they’ve got 2 losses so far in a down SEC.

Not sure what to do with Boise. I’m putting them at the lowest of the unbeatens, and believe they can play with anyone on the list…once. But put them through a gauntlet like, for example, Wisconsin had earlier (three top 15 teams in four weeks, and the fourth a rivalry game) and I would be shocked if they came out unscathed. But, you can only play the games on the schedule, and Boise keeps winning big, even if it’s against nobodies.

1. Oregon (9-0)
  2. TCU (10-0)
  3. Auburn (10-0)
  4. Boise (8-0)
  5. Wisconsin (8-1)
  6. Ohio State (8-1)
  7. Nebraska (8-1)
  8. Stanford (8-1)
  9. LSU (8-1)
  10. Michigan State (9-1)

I still expect losses from Auburn (against Alabama) and Michigan State (Penn State in JoePa’s last(?) home game).

November 7th, 2010

1. Auburn
  2. TCU
  3. Boise
  4. Oregon
  5. LSU
  6. Nebraska
  7. Stanford
  8. Wisconsin
  9. Ohio St
  10. Michigan St

Somehow I missed the previous weeks of this.

Anyway, for Nov. 7, 2010:

1. Oregon
  2. Auburn
  3. TCU
  4. LSU
  5. Wisconsin
  6. Stanford
  7. Boise State
  8. Alabama
  9. Oklahoma State
  10. Michigan State

After games of 11.06.10:

1. Auburn
  2. TCU
  3. Oregon
  4. Boise St.
  5. LSU
  6. Wisconsin
  7. Nebraska

… can’t I just stop here? Oh, okay, if you insist.

1. Stanford
  2. Ohio St.
  3. Michigan St.

At the risk of sounding like a thread-shitter or killjoy…

I’m not going to vote, even though I have strong opinions here. Because OPINIONS are the whole problem!

The problem is NOT that the current voters (writers and coaches) are idiots, though a few are. It’s not that they’re biased, though some are. I’m quite prepared to believe that most of the poll voters are smart guys who know a lot more about college football than I do, and that they’re sincerely TRYING to cast good votes.

The problem is, they’re STILL just offering opinions. And a championship should NEVER come down to anybody’s freaking OPINION of who the best team is.

I don’t WANT the writers and coaches to vote on whether Boise State or TCU is as good as Oregon or Auburn. I want to see for myself, on the field! Even when the writers and coaches agree with me, I DON’T want their opinion to play any role in determining who plays for the title. I want a real playoff, and a BCS championship game that pits MY two favorite teams against each other is no less bogus than one that picks two teams I hate.

Screw Mike Lupica’s opinion. Screw Nick Saban’s opinion. Screw MY opinion. Voting is a stupid way to pick a champion, and I think we all know that.

Fight the system- don’t try to be part of it.

Tweeted by APTOP25

I don’t want to hijack this thread too much, but this is just for fun. Do you also have a problem with the poll in college basketball or power rankings for NFL, NBA, etc. from ESPN and SI?

Opinions are not the problem. The problem is giving the opinions POWER; that’s why the sports writers withdrew the AP poll as part of the BCS formula. Here at the SDMB, we also don’t have any power in college football. Take your beef to the presidents of various universities and BCS conference commissioners.