Doper locations

On the old board, you could often/generally see where Dopers are located. Is this information available on the new board?

Location (according to Doper profile) is or isn’t displayed according to the chosen theme you’re using to view the board.

At least, that’s what I’ve been told. But maybe not. Earlier thread:

If you add a location to your profile, then others can see it when they click on your avatar.

Hopefully more and more people add their location in.

I would absolutely encourage bumping the game in needscoffee link.

I also wish this. It’s relevant to a lot of posts to have some general idea of where the poster is.

Much too late to edit, so apologies for double post:

I wonder whether moving that thread would get more people to locate? I don’t usually pay much attention to categories; but if I did, I don’t know that I’d read thread games; and putting it there doesn’t make it seem to me like something the board’s seriously encouraging.

I was the OP of that thread. Which was created in response to a convo I had with moderator @What_Exit.

I have no objection to moving the thread to a different category if folsk think that’ll get more traction for the effort.

Perhaps a smarter idea would be to create a locked sticky here in ATMB which explains how the various fields in the user’s profile appear and providing a “suggested community standard” for what’s need to fill out, really ought to fill out, versus we don’t care if you do or don’t fill out.

I would never think to look there, as a longtime poster. Maybe a very diligent new user might. A sticky could be made, but additionally I think the other thread that’s in Thread Games would really be best off in a different category, for maximum eyeballs.

As it isn’t really a game, maybe MPSIMS is better anyway. I’ll move it.

I see your location, but What Exit?

Use to be 109 and now it is a little bit north.

@Johnny_L.A, I know (I think) what PNW stands for, but I bet a lot of people on the board, especially those not in the USA, don’t. Spell it out, maybe?

Better?

Much.

– and I’ve been being mislead by your L.A, which apparently has nothing to do with either Los Angeles or Louisiana. That, however, may just be me.

I’m from L.A., and was living there when I registered. I moved but kept my username.

Aha! Makes sense; though L. A. of course could mean lots of other things too. Thanks for clarification.

L.A. is Los Angeles.
LA is Louisiana.
I’m not sure how people abbreviate Lower Alabama (Florida Panhandle).

Then, ref your username, what is “L.A”? :wink:

“LSL” in my username was a geographical reference to where I was living when I joined. Which is also now obsolete.

Discourse will not allow a period at the end of a username. For 20 years my username was Johnny L.A., but the new board made me add an underscore and remove the last character. (Which irritates the hell out of me.)

You lost a dot, I lost a question mark. Harsh.