Doper memes that I wish would just go away

This.

:wink:

I could also be pondering my response.

But no, that would be hmmm.

Perhaps I should change my name to Hey! Mean Mr. Mustard!
hmmm

I don’t like the Internet meme which reduces the concept of memes to catchphrases (as here) and catch-images.

Memes are transmissible units of understanding (or misunderstanding), the equivalent in culture of genes (or haplotypes) in biology. Memes can be large or small, beneficial or harmful. Most things people do, beyond rudimentary biological necessities, are expressions of received memes–the ways we fulfill biological imperatives are usually governed by series of memes. Getting hungry is biology, but lunchtime is a meme. Driving on the correct side of the road is an expression of a meme. Teaching somebody how to do something in a particular way is giving them a meme. Religions and philosophies are whole complexes of memes.

Internet “memes” are memes, but using only such tiny, trivial examples to represent the concept of memetic culture is like explaining genetic biology by saying that genes gave somebody freckles, while ignoring that genes also gave them a skeleton and a digestive tract and a brain and two arms and two legs.

As for catchphrases (Doper and otherwise), they’re all useless and potentially annoying when they’re just tacked on to a conversation without adding anything. If they’re deployed within comments with actual content, and particularly in such a way that the phrase is like a natural part of the remarks, they can be clever. A reference to one’s lawn can be an acknowledgment of curmudgeonliness.

One zombie reference is useful in a zombie’d thread. There are often about a dozen, which is annoying if there is new content of substance to discuss.

Isn’t this kind of stuff, the in-jokes, the overly-repeated phrases, the kind of thing that families and groups of friends usually do? And isn’t this a community like that? Well, not always, but you know what I mean. Yeah, sometimes it’s incredibly annoying, but sometimes it’s sort of comforting just because it’s always there. I’d rather read those than the stupid back and forth arguments that pretty much come down to, ‘yes you did’, ‘no I didn’t’.

Did you ever see just one zombie? No. They always come in herds.

Sign offs are especially grating when the poster keeps commenting in the same thread. Make up your mind! Are you in this discussion or not? If you insist on signing off with each post, you might as well begin every subsequent one with P.S.

Hmmm…is there an official designation for a group of zombies like there is with most animals?

If not, I’d like to hereby nominate “a thriller of zombies”.

And I will counter that with “a casserole of zombies”

Ew.

“A shamble of zombies.”

A ‘rot’ of zombies.

“Look out the window, what do you see?” “I see a rot of zombies!”

As for memes, I do hope that penis will continue to ensue, occationally.

Don’t give them any ideas! Sign offs are annoying, but I can see someone taking your P.S. idea and using it. That would be super annoying.

That sounds like Scooby Do or Astro Jetson

That was the general idea, yeah.

A shuffle of zombies?
mmm

Doesn’t annoy me, just find it pretentious.

Regards,
etv78 :smiley:

I think a Fosse of zombies has a nice ring to it.

How about an mmm of zombies?

Or a “braaaaaaainssss of zombies”?

Any reference to our dear Hal and sheep. It was tasteless and dumb in the beginning and now it’s just BORING.

And it was YEARS ago! Let it go, already!