DrDeth

Some people are just immune to reason and facts.

DrDeth, you really need a lesson in common sense. You insist there is political persecution in Hong Kong but you are unable to cite a single example of such political persecution. None. Zero. Many people who know about Hong Kong because we have traveled or lived there have told you you are wrong and yet you persist in you irrational and unfounded assertions.

In this thread about Hong Kong DrDeth just cannot let reality overcome his prejudice and ignorance.

Of course we immediately pointed out that the “Red Chinese army” had already been in Hong Kong for quite a while now. And that Hong Kong “cannot spend any money on defence” for the same reason Sioux City, Iowa, “cannot spend any money on defence”: Their respective national governments are responsible for defense.

No matter

:rolleyes:

To that he keeps posting irrelevant stuff about China, not about HongKong.

The idiocy is just outstanding. He says emigration form Hong Kong is not tracked separatly" and yet links to a page called “Hong Kong Special Administrative Region passport”. That’s just rich. Both China and the international community, including the USA, recognise a different passport and status for Hong Kong but DrDeth wants to dilute the issue because “Hong Kong is part of China”. (And, as we all know, China is communist and bad.)

The fact is that he is unable to provide a single cite of political persecution in Hong Kong. He is totally ignorant about Hong Kong reality and his view is a simple “communist is bad”.

As many posters knowledgeable about Hong Kong have pointed out to him, Hong Kong people have freedom of expression, economic freedom, etc comparable to any other free country.

But he persists in his prejudiced and ignorant view of Hong Kong (and China in general).

DrDeth, what do you know about HK? How many times have you been there? Over the last 12 years I have spent cumulatively about 18 months in Hong Kong and Guangdong. China Guy has lived there and now lives in Shanghai. We and others are telling you that you are wrong and ignorant about Hong Kong reality and you need to either educate yourself or just shut up.

If you are going to insist there is political persecution in Hong Kong you need to supply specific examples of political persecution in Hong Kong. Saying that it is in China which is a communist country means there has to be political persecution is not enough. You need to provide specific examples or shut up.

By the way, I am flying to Hong Kong in a few days and will be traveling in Guangdong for the next six weeks.

I think DrDeth is a woman.

Missed the edit window.

From another related thread:

Are you really saying that all the freedoms enjoyed by Hong Kong under the British have been preserved inviolate?

BTW that’s a real question. I cheerfully confess my almost complete ignorance on this subject.

Man, woman, DrDeth is a chronic and longstanding dumbass.

Suggested reading from the original thread: One country, two systems

I did not know she was female and now I suddenly have an image of an elderly woman who is not very sharp due to age. I really do not mean to be insulting, just that she needs to understand when she is out of her depth and maybe just stay out of those threads.

So we have people who are simultaneously living in fear but happy to be living in fear. Or maybe they are living in fear but just don’t know it and believe they are happy.

This thread is going places.

I’m beginning to suspect that DrDeth is not a doctor at all.

I think DrDeth is actually a CPA

OK, I guess CPADeth didn’t have the right ring to it.

He refers to “us dudes” (and is irritatingly sexist) in the Cite? thread.

Unless she’s LYING.

Wow. Just wow. He managed to argue against his own original point.

It is a mistake to think that Hong Kong residents are subject to extreme political persecution. But it is also a mistake to suggest that Hong Kong is as free as a western democracy.

The biggest problem with this position is the lack of political rights for Hong Kong residents. Every free country now offers its citizens direct popular elections of its chief executive, and allows voting for all of the ruling legislature. The only direct vote allowed for Hong Kong residents is the election of half of the seats in the legislature. That’s a 19th century version of freedom. While Hong Kong residents have been petitioning for democratic elections of local government officials for years, and Beijing has said they won’t allow this for at least a decade, and then only if Beijing approves the candidates. And, of course, the government of Beijing making decisions about the governance of Hong Kong is not democratic.

The notion that this anti-democratic political structure wouldn’t bleed into other political rights is naive. It leads to things like denying visas to pro-democracy agitators (as documented during the pre-Olympic torch ceremonies). I know two colleagues who have been subjected to such restrictions–especially the labor organizers and people involved in trying to reform the sex trade in HK. That is by no means the level of persecution that DrDeth seems to be claiming, but let’s not overstate the political freedom present in Hong Kong.

That will be news to citizens of the United States or to those of many parliamentary democracies…

That would be a worthwhile point for the original thread which prompted this one and I would be glad to constinue the discussion there. I will just note that Hong Kong people have more democracy now than under British rule.

Thios thread is about Dr. Deth and how he maintains assertions which are contrary to what knowledgeable people say and how he mainstains such things without any supporting evidence.

If you are going to argue that there is political persecution in Hong Kong you should be able to cite some examples. DrDeth is unable to provide any evidence and yet stubbornly continues to maintain the same assertions. That is the object of this thread.

I have seen DrDeth do this on several ocassions. It seems he has a very limited reasoning ability and I suppose there may not be any remedy to that but he should learn to stay in the shallow end of the pool and not venture out of his depth. In this case he is clearly out of his depth.

A silly misstatement on my part. The larger point remains that chief executives are democratically elected in western nations, as are their legislatures.

Sailor, fair enough.

More grist for the mill (DrDeth stubbornly maintains in GQ that it is illegal in the U.S. to accept Euros but not dollars in some offer (because only dollars are “legal tender”), but never produces a lick of evidence [stronger than “My brother told me so”] to support this claim, even after everyone else calls him on his shit. Indeed, even after he insists that a certain web-search will readily produce cites supporting him, he refuses to actually present an example of such a cite. Eventually, still having acknowledged nothing, he just turns on his heels and leaves)

Yup, nothing has changed.

It is frustrating to deal with someone so immune to reason or facts.

That’s normal.