DrDeth's suspension

Probably not. I seem to barely register here. I guess that’s OK.

(goes off to sulk)

TPTB obviously believe that your worth as a poster can be salvaged. Are they wrong?

Good point, and here was my response in that thread:
Really? We’re banning people due to pittings now?

Look, this was a bad call. Warn him, suspend him- and THEN ban him when he does it again- which he likely will.

Banning people due to popular demand is a really bad idea.

However, maybe he does have a list of warnings, in which case- good riddance.

TPTB obviously believed that his worth as a poster could not be salvaged. Several of us ordinary members had been planning to walk out in protest if everything remained business as usual.

I like you. You are a good contributor.

Maybe better than i am, for sure.

@DrDeth: It’s not one mod. For one, @What_Exit already mentioned they conferred with the other mods. But it’s also stuff that you have been pitted for, with people repeatedly arguing that such significantly hampers discussion.

I understand avoiding the Pit to avoid those who just like to attack people, but it does come with the disadvantage that you may miss out on any legitimate criticisms. There isn’t another forum where criticisms against a poster are allowed. There’s no “constructive criticism” forum.

That is what they are doing here. They didn’t immediately ban you. They’re telling you to knock it off, and saying that, if you don’t, you may get banned from a thread or topic.

If they were to ban you, I would object.

Doubtful, but thanks!

For the record, yes, the mods had a lively discussion and this was our consensus.

And yes, this, too.

I’ll take my chances.

Did you report those banneble posts by the moderator?

Did you report the posters who attacked you?

He did and he was wrong. He is wrong a lot.
In his first post in this thread he says I dislike him and speak badly about him in the pit and at another board. None of this is true.

He is trying to play victim, don’t buy it.

I’m not here to continue our argument from the alien thread, so I’ll keep things general. In the interest of you not being banned in the near future (and FWIW I definitely don’t want you to be banned) I think it’s important to set the record straight.

You were not “attacked” in that thread. You just misunderstood the discussion at hand, and dug your heels in when we tried to explain your mistake to you.

Another poster put forward a hypothesis - “what if the reason for our observations was X?” K9bfriender and I looked at what what kind of situation would allow X to occur, and, given X, what else might be true, and whether those assumptions and other effects would still be consistent with our observations.

You popped into the thread telling us we were both fools for believing X.

We both, repeatedly, tried to explain to you that no, we aren’t arguing that X is true; we were trying to explore X as an explanation for our observations, and to determine whether it made any sense. In other words, “X isn’t a good explanation for our observations because, given X, Y is also likely, and Y doesn’t match our observations.”

But you insisted on lecturing us about how X was farfetched, totally missing the point, and going on long beyond the point of reasonable discussion.

FWIW, I didn’t report your post, as while certainly frustrating and derailing to the thread I didn’t think your steadfast refusal to get the point was against the rules.

I am glad to know that I was wrong, and will report such behavior in the future rather than continuing to argue. And I am very glad that the thread has moved on to more productive discussion since.

With all respect, and not trying to gang up on you, but the Pit thread about you is now at 730 posts and counting. Now granted, it being the Pit, more than half those posts are non-serious or completely off topic, but it would take a particular kind of denial to not recognize that some of the posts are substantive and on-point and that there really is a systemic problem here that is not just due to one mod or one or two posters taking a “personal dislike” to you. In fact, I just looked at the Starving Artist thread mentioned in post #39, and there you are again, being disruptive right in that very thread, until a mod had to tell you to knock it off.

The poster I was alluding to previously (not SA, who had a different problem) was eventually banned, not so much for frequently breaking rules, but for being generally disruptive and annoying, seeming to relish arguing in bad faith and pushing the envelope as far as he could on the safe side of the rules. Don’t be that guy.

Are there any links? The past practice was that the mod would cite a few examples and then say that the poster was suspended. I agree with @DrDeth that he didn’t do anything wrong in the gun thread, but I don’t know what “alien” thread we are talking about–however he confessed error, so that’s one against him.

But what are these “many, many” threads? A few examples, maybe? Nothing personally against What_Exit, but I respectfully disagree with his/her moderation in most cases. We see it over and over again. Posters are here for 10, 15, 20 years with no problem and then they get warnings, suspensions, and bannings because of new and unstated rules.

“Off topic” posts seem pretty easy to control. Just a mild note to kick it back in the fairway. All threads drift and nobody is purposely trying to hijack things here unless they joined last month.

I despise the PIT and nothing good ever comes of it. In fact, I am reasonable sure that this sudden dislike of me by What_Exit is caused by the Pit thread.

It does not relieve tensions it just causes more of them.

It turned into a shitstorm, for which i completely agree I am partially, nay mostly at fault. mea culpa. I was egged on, but I should learn to ignore them. I was wrong, and What_Exit was completely right in shutting down that thread temporarily, and issuing some Notes. Heck, I wouldnt have been happy about a warning, but maybe deserved. But a suspension, out of the blue?

Yes, exactly. And you know what? When I read his post about the new rules, no more 'contrast and compare" i deleted the two posts I had just made so as to go along with that (even tho I thought he was wrong). My next post was about teen suicide- which What_Exit had specifically came in to say was now “on topic”. But for that, I got banned from the thread- for following What_exits rules.

I was, but it was my fault for responding as I did. I apologize for that. I could have just walked away. You gotta admit the other guy was egging me on. But again, my fault. I am sorry.

Yes, and I was told to stop it and threatened by What_Exit for doing so.

No, because it was my posts not me.

But I was out of line in that thread.

I gotta do no such thing. But you’ve made it clear that you’d rather play the victim than change your behavior, so I’m not gonna waste any more time on your thread.

Many posters have been acting like jerks for 10, 15 or 20 years. It’s not that there was no problem but that TPTB have finally listened to the posters here that have been complaining all that time. It’s not the new moderators, it’s the new moderation.

As to the subject of this thread, he’s doing himself no favors here but I didn’t expect anything otherwise. He’s demonstrating exactly why he’s probably not going to last much longer.