Dress up Day

Today is dress up day for my daughter’s class at preschool; she’s 2 1/2.

The theme is dress up as your favorite hero. Wow. Heroes at two years? So my wife and I deliberate on how she should dress:

[ul]
[li]A cheerleader[/li][li]A princess[/li][li]Barney[/li][li]A teacher[/li][/ul]

So, which does she choose? None of the above. She decides she will dress up as either a firefighter or a basketball player.

:eek:

We bought her the necessary costume details, and she happily debuted her fashionable firefighter look this morning…to the envy of all the little boys in her class. The other girls looked at her in stunned disbelief.

She’s a tomboy at 2 1/2. We’re in loads of trouble.

Good for her! She’s already showing signs of being an independent thinker. That will be more “trouble” for you than her being a tom-boy. :smiley:

Seriously, just roll with it. As a little girl, I went through phases of wanting to be a rancher (I was horse-mad at the time), an astronaut, an archaeologist, PR director of the NY Rangers… all sorts of things that were not “typical” feminine pursuits. This was a source of some horror to my mom, who felt I was behaving in an unfeminine fashion and tried regularly to point me in the other direction by buying me frilly blouses, dolls, etc. We both ended up very frustrated. Now she’s just resigned to the fact that, as a geologist, I hang out on rocks and play in the dirt. :smiley:

Anyway, given a woman’s perogative to change her mind, I have the feeling that your daughter’s interests will be all over the map, as mine were. Let her have fun in exploring, and have fun yourself in watching her horizons grow.

Cheer up - she could have dressed as a computer programmer!

Anyway, it sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders, even at this young age. There are very few professions that I could see as qualifying as a hero - and a firefighter is one of them!

Susan

Yeah, she may grow up with an interest in those highly male dominated fields of science and engineering, go to college and get a very technical degree such that nobody at the family dinner table understands a word about what she does, land herself a very good job, and make a million dollars.

Or she could decide she likes playing with dirt a lot and become an archaeologist and make some fascinating discoveries about the indigenous peoples of some tiny Central American nation from thousands of years ago.

Or she could become a firefighter for real and save people’s lives every day as part of her job, never becoming either rich or famous, but making the world a much better place for all of the people she helps.

Or, it could mean nothing.

There’s no problem in being a tomboy.

I wanted to be a firefighter when I was little. Now I’m an astronomer.

And very much a tomboy. :smiley:

I just want to say, as a lifelong tomboy, that I think this is *seriously * cool. :smiley:

What? No Ninja? You child should be wanting to be a Ninja.

Thanks for the replies.

I in no way meant for my OP to reflect negatively on my daughter. I’m proud of her for becoming a free-thinker. I don’t want her to be a sheep.

susan_foster: I’m a little disappointed she didn’t dress as a programmer. That’s my profession. I want to be her hero. :smiley:

You probably are her hero. She just didn’t realize you’d let her take your laptop and pocket protector to school as accessories.

My son recently had his preschool graduation and they did a cute montage of pictures of the kids dressed as what they wanted to be when they grew up. There was a predictable assortment of firefighters, artists, cowboys, etc. My son is going through an astronaut phase himself.

But one 4-year-old girl wants to be a lawyer.

I’m a little bit afraid of her now.

Oh, I bet she looked so adorable!

I love little girls who are tomboys. They are just too cute.

Don’t let on. They can smell weakness. :wink:

Beware! I wanted to be a doctor (an orthopedic surgeon, to be exact) from the age of three or so. I wanted NOTHING else in the world.

I got a film degree and I’m working on opening a bookstore.

You might have an artist on your hands. :smiley: