Dublin dopers, care to meet up for a quiet drink?

I should be able to get to the pub for about 4:30pm. We get into Dublin about mid afternoon.

I think Hibernicus’ itinerary sounds good. Anyone know the addy of Dawson Logde? We could meet in there, then stay there for a couple of hours and progress down the list.

What do y’all think?

Rick

I was hoping this was the US Dublin.

Any dopers thereabouts?

Doh!, Doh! and thrice Doh!

It was yojimbo who proposed the itinerary.

Sorry about that yojimbo. Give me a break, it is 4:17am and I still have nearly 3 hours left to work. (I would say night shift sucks, but I get access to the net and iti s not too busy for me to read a few threads and post <g>)

Rick

I live in Lund, get a hold of me when you get here and we’ll have a drink. Or fourteen.

The Dawson Lounge is at the top of Dawson street just off St. Stephens Green. Accessed by going through a red door with glass panels Irelands smallest pub will never be ready for dopers

http://dublin.local.ie/general/interactive/

If you select the bottom middle grid you will see Dawson Street in the middle/top of the map. Hit the Wine and Dine button and then the nightlife button and you will see a red spot beside the “D” in Dawson Street, that is the Dawson Lounge.

BTW I’ll be finished at 5:30pm and work on Stephens Green and can meet up then.

Thanks for the map yojimbo :slight_smile:

So it’s all set for 4:30pm in Dawson Lodge and then on to the others on the list.

I will be able to check back tomorrow night, but that is prolly that last time I will have access to the boards for a few weeks.

See you on Wednesday.

Rick :slight_smile:

Oh, it might help to know that I have short ginger hair and will be wearing jeans and a tee. Anyone who wants a pic, e-mail me or check out the pics from the London dopefest

I’ll see you at 5:30. ToF should be with me.

I’ll be there at 5.30 as well. I want to bring a friend along too, if it’s okay.

Umm… hello ? That would be me I think (raises hand tentatively). Complete newbie I’m afraid… interested in meeting up with Dopers though (any excuse for a few pints… :))

Holy crap! Look who it is. Welcome to the SDMB, StA.

Hi Speaker-to-Animals welcome to the Straight Dope.

See you on Wed. :slight_smile:

I’ll be there a little after 6. pesky work and all…

Does this place have food?

It barely has a bar.

Once we’ve all met up we can head off to a bigger pub.

You are allowed at bring in food from the O’Briens Sandwhich place accross the road , they’ll even give you a menu at the bar.

I’ll be around a little after 6. Can someone mail me a number to text if you guys move on before I get there ?

You do know that by now we have probably overbooked the Dawson Lounge by twice its capacity ?

Once there’s nobody else in the place we should be grand (I hope).

Phone no. in mail.

Yojimbo…

Got your message at the hotel on the 15th…at about 11 PM, when we got back in from Dublin-sightseeing and dinner. I figured it was too late to bother you, plus we were exhausted.

And we didn’t arrive in Dublin on the 25th antil latish, too, and everyone was in a bad mood, and it made it worse that all the goddam Dublin pubs had stopped serving food at that point, and we hadda go to a goddam RESTAURANT for din-din.

We did stop in at O’Neill’s, but the only food available was from the carvery, which felt too much like a cafeteria experience.

We ended up at Mao’s, eating Asian Fusion food like we were in San Franfuckingcisco, and drinking goddam Tsing Tao instead of Guinness.

Other than that, it was a terrific trip. See my “Bugs of Ireland” thread in GQ.

I figured you’d be wrecked. Maybe I’ll see you in the Big Apple at some stage. Glad you had a good time.

Hope you got some good history books while you where over here :wink:

I bought a copy of THE GREEN FLAG: A HISTORY OF IRISH NATIONALISM while I was in Dingle. Big fat fucker, and deadly dull. Managed to somehow leave it in my Dublin hotel room while rushing to the airport.

I don’t think I’ll miss it. The author’s theory seemed to be “Most Irish people LIKE being vassals of the British State, THAT’S why the cause of Irish Nationalism will never be accomplished.”

On the plus side, saw an awful lot of Harry Clarke (Irish artist, illustrator, stained glass jockey, 1889-1931)stained glass, in the Dingle convent, in Castletownshend, etc. God DAMN, that boy had talent!