Dubstep

Anyone listen to this style of music much? My friend is all about Dubstep lately and is trying to turn me on to it. At first it sounds like drumnbass or house but after you listen to a few tracks it does have it’s own unique sound and some of it is pretty hypnotic. Pretty much requires a bassy headset or sound system to really appreciate it though.

Anyone have any comments on this style?

I like it, I have a Romanian friend who hooks me up with different types of music. Latest was this 2010 compilation. I usually then surf around clicking on the other videos that look interesting.
[he was programming playlists for a Romanian online radio channel that I still actually keep as background music for raids.]

It’s the new thing. As far as I can tell with my untrained ear, it’s a couple genres melded together in nonspecific ratios. Then you add a wobble bass and you’re set.

I love electronica, some rap, drum n bass, some house, dance, and mixtures of all of it. But dubstep is annoying somehow. I enjoy dance that incorporates it in smaller increments or segments, but I’ve tried tracks that are “all” dubstep and just can’t get into it. Makes me feel old.

It’s ok - some of it is hard to listen to, like a slower, jazz version of drum and bass. It also seems to cause arguments amongst purists as to what actually is dubstep, with more commerical stuff being dismissed as popstep (e.g. skrillex). But it can be good - more for the club though than listening at home I’d have said.

Microgenres in music (as in some other fields) are almost universally dull to me. The stuff with the real creativity, the real emotional content, if it’s so categorized at all, is done so retroactively, after the stylistic imitators have churned out enough product.

“Dubstep” to me sounds like a constrained slice of the stuff that my friends and I just called “dub,” literally fifteen years ago. A track here and there may be done well and fine for what it is, but I can’t imagine listening to much of it at a stretch with no variation. Yes, even on drugs. This is true for all the electronic microgenres.

My ethos (not to say my sound) of dance music is the freedom of the original house scene and the first iteration of British rave. The kind of “purists” that Busy Scissors mentions strike me as very, very sad.

Not a fan. The wobble bass and distortions mask bad music-making and make tracks too similar to each other.

I like it in small doses. I don’t think I can take a whole set of it, but a taste of it here and there within a set works for me.