Embarrasing moment at dinner out last night...what do you think?

Are you a breatharian?

Like Leaffan your mother embarrassed nobody but herself.

How would you be harmed by seeing a fellow diner do this?

I wasn’t really clear on what it meant, either. For other ignoramuses like me, Medicine Net to the rescue.

(And your mom was terrible.)

Really?

The smartest and hippest.

Your mum was a bitch. For some reason, some people think they have a licence to be rude to family members and say whatever they think, when they wouldn’t DREAM of saying it to somebody else. My mother had weight issues and felt that it was perfectly ok to call me skinny (hey, guess what, calling somebody skinny is just as rude as calling somebody fat). Once she said something to me about how thin I was and I retorted “and you’re a fat old pig!” :smiley: She did not comprehend that she had done a thing wrong.

Point? You mum was a total bitch, but whether she really understands that she was being bitchy is a different question. Just ignore the old cow, don’t let it get to you.

I’ve never experienced it. I had no idea it was a real thing.

ETA: I thought it was just another name for “I’ve eaten too much,” or “I’m full.”

In fact I still think that may be the case.

No, it’s not. You were horrifically rude in your prior post. You can be bloated hours before or after eating and it’s not necessarily related to recent food consumption.

Bloating can be incredibly painful, with sharp cramps that don’t go away, along with your pants suddenly digging in like you literally grew 3+ pants sizes in 5 minutes. It sounds like the OP experienced bloating on the more severe end of the spectrum.

But don’t let that keep you from making more thoughtless, rude and classless remarks!

He DID stand up for you.
He knew when not to interfere and make things even more awkward.

So he stayed quiet, let the next few sentences blow over,ignored it, and then kept on having a nice evening with you.
As post #6 said, that’s one smart fella. Caring, respectful, and socially adept.

When people get married, they can have issues with in-laws. And if arguments and strong words fly, at least everybody is family, and on an equal status.
But this is your boyfriend, not her son-in-law.
Your issue was between you and your mother. That’s a lifelong connection, while he’s only been a connected as a sidekick for a short time.
So he did the smart thing.

Yes, he did support you. And it sounds like he’ll keep doing so for a long, long time.
Forget your embarrassment with your mom, and remember that there’s something very good here developing with your boyfriend.

IME, bloating is hormonal. Happened to me the worst when I was pregnant.

And yeah, your mom was horrible and way out of line. I suspect her behavior has way more to do with her than with you. Is she normally this disrespectful & cruel to you?

And, as others have said, no wise man is going to touch that situation with a 10 foot pole. Your boyfriend and his father did exactly what they should. And your bf’s mother sounds like a lovely & kind woman.

Sometimes even though I enjoy the view I feel bad that for women to dress to impress they have to wear very tight pants and whatnot, being a guy my pants fit but have a little extra room if I’ve eaten too much. I could understand a woman needing to make a little extra space if the clothing felt too restrictive. I don’t understand how a lot of women even fit into the jeans I see them out in for instance they seem so tight.

Don’t be mad at your boyfriend, he’s not a mind reader, from his perspective maybe he thought him bringing further attention to the issue might just embarrass you further. Your Mother was the one that was out of line.

For the record, you are wrong.

I’m sorry for your medical problems and that your mother is toxic, but please don’t tell me what I have and haven’t done.

I think everyone is being too harsh on Leaffan.

Mother was thoughtless and cruel, I agree. But unbuttoning and *UNZIPPING *your pants in a public restaurant? No, it doesn’t harm anyone. But neither does farting, picking your nose, or belching loudly.

If you were in that much distress, it was time to leave (you even said this was after the appetizers and entrée). Or, at the very least, excuse yourself to the ladies room to relieve the pressure.
mmm

Yeah, as much as I believe a girl’s gotta do, what a girl’s gotta do at times, if others around you are aware of your unzipping, you’re not doing it right!

Either have the discretion to unzip in an unnoticeable way or take yourself off to the washroom and accomplish it there. Return with your top covering the button and fly area, and you’re fine.

No one should be in public with their pants unbuckled and zipper down. Unless it’s a medical emergency, which bloating, while uncomfortable, is NOT. It wouldn’t be cool for the old man at the table beside you, so it’s really not cool for you either.

There is a washroom to accommodate your needs. You’re not at home, you’re in a public restaurant. Unbuttoning and unzipping where others can see, is NOT cool in a public space.

It’s one thing to say that OP shouldn’t have unbuttoned/unzipped, it’s quite another to say that she had no reason to. “I don’t have this medical complaint so it doesn’t exist?” That deserves harshness. It’s ridiculous as well as being offensive.

You’re wrong. Note that he did NOT write “I did my master’s thesis on bloating, and what I think is …”
Instead he wrote " … * have no idea what [bloating] even means [but] …!" :smack:

Perspective is often lacking these days. Our society has far worse problems than a minor unbuttoning.

That’s not random.

What’s the purpose of this thread? Of course if your mother made those comments, especially the second, it was inappropriate. You wanted confirmation of that?

Yet you write the OP in such a way you make sure we know YOU were unbelievably inappropriate:

*“I had to pop open the top button of my jeans and unzip them.”

"My blouse was tucked in, so everyone could see I was undoing my jeans. I tried being as discreet as possible, but we were sitting on high chairs, so there wasn’t much room to hide it. "*

No, you weren’t trying to be as discreet as possible, and it seems you wanted to make sure we knew it, even making sure we knew the chairs were really high. Of course eventually someone was going to comment not on how inappropriate you mother was but on how inappropriate you were. And then of course the pile-on. It was inevitable.

You know you have IBS. You know you’re going to be in a Mexican restaurant. Maybe jeans that allow for some bloating, or another form of dress altogether? At a minimum, maybe un-tuck the blouse away from the table?

Maybe once it happens, you excuse yourself to the bathroom? Tell everyone you’re so sorry, but you are feeling really sick and have to leave? Entrees were finished at the point you unbuttoned and unzipped your jeans on “high” chairs, which you are “usually” embarrassed to do in public (“usually”, seriously?) so it wouldn’t have been a total evening killer.

Your mother said you were exposing yourself. I noticed that you didn’t deny it. Some of the little details you mentioned seem as though you’re baiting others to leave comments that will blame the poor victim, leading them to be attacked. Well, you got it.

Bullshit. Please direct me to where he said “she had no reason to”.

**Leaffan **never said she had no reason to relieve the discomfort. He said she did not have reason to do it there.

I agree.

Nice job making up both sides of your own argument.
mmm

That’s what I can’t tell from the OP. Was it a medical emergency that called for immediate relief? Or could she not have excused herself to go to the rest room to open her jeans?

I won’t be directing you anywhere. The thread isn’t very long. You could put in the effort to read it. Then you could consider withdrawing your remarks.