Embarrassing music

I love Coconut! Its on the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack. I listen to it all the time. Of course its got a slightly different feel in that movie than in Practical Magic, i’m guessing…

Also- I have a Pure 80’s CD. Its got songs like “Video Killed the Radio Star” and “Hold Me Now” and “Tainted Love” and “Everybody Wants to Rule the World.” Just a bit embarssing, but not too bad.

The BloodHound Gang’s Hooray for Boobies. I wish I hadn’t bought it. I don’t even listen to it. It just sits there morosely. Sigh.

Then there’s Aqua, Sheryl Crow, Natalie Imbruglia, and some other stuff. Not embarassing, but its stuff I listened to a couple of years ago and don’t anymore, so…

[nitpick on] That was the Ohio Express. The Ohio Players did that kick ass funk classic “Fire”. The Ohio Express also gave us the endearing “Yummy, Yummy (Yummy, I’ve got love in my tummy)”

[hijack]

honestly, never thought of them as bubble-gum… but what did any of us know about music when we were 12?

[/hijack]

Let’s see… all my friends know that I know have an ecclectic taste in music: metal, hard, blues, classic rock, '80s techno and newwave… I don’t own anything embarrassing… But I’ll admit to likeing Jewel’s first song “Who Will Save Your Soul” because she really sang well on that track. Then she just got really annoying.

I don’t think there’s anything embarrassing about the Pet Shop Boys–I used to work at a department store, and the highlight of the Godawful loop of music they played was “Eastern Boys and Western Girls.”
I also love ABBA and the Carpenters. And I adore the B52s and Donavon.

I love contemporary a capella music.

While I don’t see anything inherently embarassing about that, people sometimes seem to think I ought to. Take, for instance, the time some friends and I were driving to Oklahoma City. I was driving, so I was allowed to pick the music. I popped in Rockapella’s latest (okay, they’ve taken a recent turn towards the “boy band” sound, but I swear it’s for purely commercial reasons and they’re SO much more talented than any teenybopper boy group, but I digress…), and not five minutes later I’m heckled into putting in a different CD. So I pick Da Vinci’s Notebook’s “Bendy’s Law,” which is pretty funny in places. I thought that the humor might let them overlook the lack of instruments, and I was fine for a while, but then DVN busts out with a barbershop 7th, and the next thing I know, Em has us listening to Lords of Acid. (No, that’s okay. I LOVE music that samples the screams of the damned. Really. :rolleyes: )

Sorry, didn’t mean to rant. It just builds up, you know?
So, short answer, scenes like this often force me into being embarrassed by my music although there’s no earthly reason why I should be ashamed of it.

Okay, I like some stuff by Barry Manilow. I like “Sweet Caroline” by Neil Diamond. Even more embarrassing, I like “Baby One More Time” by Britney Spears, “Bye Bye Bye” by N’Sync, and “Wannabe” by the Spice Girls.

Go ahead. Make fun of me. I don’t blame you.

“Young Girl” by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap. I guess when I was young I just thought it was a sappy love song. Now when I hear it I think of Kevin Spacey in American Beauty. You could never get that song on Top 40 today. It’s sicker than it sounds.

That is “East end boys and west end girls.”

The song is “West End Girls”

And what’s wrong with Winger? Hm? :slight_smile:

Big 80’s fan here. Dokken? Yup. Motley Crue, Poison, Def Leppard, all that.

I played my Public Image album to an early demise.

Wonderful World (I’m not sure if that’s the right title, but y’all know the tune - “Don’t know much about history, don’t know much geography…”)

This Diamond Ring

Early Beatles (when they were still a pop band - unrelated to my username)

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Paul Revere and the Raiders

Ted Nugent

And a lot of metal bands because I liked the tunes while their lyrics are truly embarassing to contemplate (one of the reasons I’ve always liked Van Halen is their mastery of metal without feeling the need to take themselves seriously).

Oh yeah, one more…Suicidal Tendencies.

I actually like some Beastie Boys music. I steal my brother’s double cd of their music sometimes…

“She Blinded me with Science” – by Tom Dolby. I think the song rocks, but at the same time it seems like a “nerdy” song…

Oh…and I listen to some boy bands, too, but only if no one else is around. I don’t like THEM, granted, but if I’m home alone you might catch me belting out, Bye bye bye!

“Hooked on a Feeling” by David Hasselhoff.

runs

And we have a winner!! :wink:

The first Body Count album.

Actually, it doesn’t embarrass me per se, just my friends when I play it in the car.

Although I can’t compete with a David Hasselhoff song, I really enjoy Nelson’s After the Rain tape. I did not even realize how embarassing it is to like Nelson until I saw them on MTV’s Top 20 Lamest Videos. My song got retired from MTV!

Hey Juniper200-
Do not be embarrased about listening to a capella! Not only do sdimbert and I listen to Rockapella, but we have 2 of their albums and have been to 2 concerts. (Too bad Sean left but the new guy ain’t bad.) We also got a collection of CDs by a capella bands as a wedding present. In addtion, sdimbert sang in an a capella group one summer and I was their official mascot. I may not be able to sing well but I can do ALL the backup girl moves!!:slight_smile:

I would love to see another thread about the best songs to convert into a capella,

I think it says a lot that some people would be embarrassed by the music they like. Still gotta maintain that image, eh?

Eh, I’m a huge Frank Zappa fan, but I’d never play one of his funny songs in front of most of my friends. Not because of any image, but I wouldn’t like their reactions. Especially if it was their first time hearing it. Wouldn’t want him to come across as another Weird Al.

(no disrespect to Weird Al. He rocks.)

Even though it doesn’t go with a lot of folk, I’ve never been embarrassed about my Zappa-philaety (is that a word?).

I think what the OP was meant to address was one’s liking of pieces or artists who are generally derided. So, not meant to address the out there stuff, more to address the stuff that was commercially successful but usually generates groans of derision from an audience.

And I attempted to fit to the OP in my response; as the HouDopers can attest, I rarely feel embarrassment.

In my MP3 folder, you can find some [sub][sup]William Shatner[/sub][/sup].

My secret vices:
Barry Manilow, John Denver, and, umm (I can’t believe I’m saying this), er, Michael Bolton… (Oh my God, they’re gonna kick me off the board…)

Nothing wrong with that. The 3:47 EST (I think that’s the name) album is a classic. Of course, you hype it up to someone and then they read the song titles: “Anus of Uranus?”

Still, Little Neutrino still is one of the best headphone songs done.