'Embolden' (weak)

[QUOTE=Contrapuntal]
Let me make my point a little more clear. JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT HEARD OF SOMETHING DOES NOT MEAN IT DOES NOT EXIST. You fucking idiot. Do you even read what you write? “Maiden” is a foreign word to you? Once you get into Jr. High the English courses get a lot tougher. You might want to do a little extra-curricular (not in the course of study) reading or you will find yourself woefully (sadly) behind.
[/QUOTE]

Did I say it doesn’t exist? Did you read the OP? No, you fucking didn’t. How many people are there that you talk to each day say maiden or embolden? How many more people write or say embolden since Bush said it? I saw that it was in the dictionary because I looked it up before I posted, but I didn’t care, and for anyone that could read above a 5th grade level, that probably was apparent. I guess I should start being a little more explicit when I write. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Contrapuntal]
Yeah, that Miller was drowning in his own spittle there, wasn’t he? What is he, off his meds or something?
[/QUOTE]

That probably would have worked better before my previous post, eh?

[QUOTE=gigi]
Damn. I will assume I’m being whooshed.
[/QUOTE]

Pay no attention. They don’t like what born too late has to say. Instead of responding to the content of his post, They’re just trying to emsheepen him. Don’t let the emsheepeners emsheepen you as well. You’ll end up feeling sheepish.

[QUOTE=Contrapuntal]
Yeah, that Miller was drowning in his own spittle there, wasn’t he? What is he, off his meds or something?
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Miller]
Anyone who has a vocabulary that is not derived entirely from dialogue overheard in a Mountain Dew commercial would be aware of the existence of this particular word, and those that were not, would most likely have the sense to quitely add it to their repetoire, rather than publically proclaiming that they’re dumber than George Motherfucking Bush. And, in case you haven’t picked up on it yet, I’m not criticizing you because I’m any fan of Dumb George. I’m criticizing you because I’m a big fan of the English tongue, and it pains me to hear screaming, sub-ape imbeciles like yourself declaim on what the proper state language is, when it is instantly clear that the closest they’ve ever come to a dictionary was when they were savagely beaten with one about the head and shoulders as a young child. Which fate, on reflection, clearly explains the massive impairment you have demonstrated in this thread.
[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[QUOTE=Miller]
That probably would have worked better before my previous post, eh?
[/QUOTE]
Hey, the guy wasn’t born yesterday.

[QUOTE=Leviosaurus]
Pay no attention. They don’t like what born too late has to say. Instead of responding to the content of his post, They’re just trying to emsheepen him. Don’t let the emsheepeners emsheepen you as well. You’ll end up feeling sheepish.
[/QUOTE]

Anyone want to take bets on how long until someone makes a Hal Briston joke?

Other than this one, I mean.

[QUOTE=Miller]
That probably would have worked better before my previous post, eh?
[/QUOTE]
Probably, although it had not been posted when he made his complaint. Now that we can edit I don’t preview as much.

[QUOTE=born too late]
Did I say it doesn’t exist? Did you read the OP? No, you fucking didn’t. How many people are there that you talk to each day say maiden or embolden? How many more people write or say embolden since Bush said it? I saw that it was in the dictionary because I looked it up before I posted, but I didn’t care, and for anyone that could read above a 5th grade level, that probably was apparent. I guess I should start being a little more explicit when I write.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I read it dumbass. You called “embolden” a “bushism,” and after everyone and his brother has shown otherwise, you still cling to your delusion. To clarify – JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT HEARD OF SOMETHING (AS COMMON USAGE) THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT DOES NOT EXIST (AS COMMON USAGE.) Got it?

So you are prescient ( can see into the future) as well, eh? Tell us, how is this thread going to end for you?

[QUOTE=Contrapuntal]
Yeah, I read it dumbass. You called “embolden” a “bushism,” and after everyone and his brother has shown otherwise, you still cling to your delusion. To clarify – JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT HEARD OF SOMETHING (AS COMMON USAGE) THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT DOES NOT EXIST (AS COMMON USAGE.) Got it?
[/QUOTE]

I never said I never heard of it, dipshit. My comment implied that it wasn’t very common. Way to make stuff up. Before you start putting words in other’s mouths, maybe you should check yourself.

[QUOTE=born too late]
How many people are there that you talk to each day say maiden or embolden?
[/QUOTE]
Seventy three. “Maiden maiden embolden?” we would ask. “Embolden!” they’d shout, joyfully. “Embolden maiden codpiece!”

Seventy four. George Bush hangs out with us now, saying maiden and embolden. He’s good people.

[QUOTE=Giraffe]
George Bush hangs out with us now, saying maiden and embolden. He’s good people.
[/QUOTE]
Someone you don’t mind having a mead with?

[QUOTE=Contrapuntal]
Now that we can edit I don’t preview as much.
[/QUOTE]

I don’t know if this makes it harder or easier to identify the knee-jerk idiots.

[QUOTE=gigi]
Someone you don’t mind having a mead with?
[/QUOTE]

Somehow, I doubt he indulges anymore.

Incidentally, I do hear people use the word “maiden” regularly. "Maiden voyage, “Iron Maiden,” “Maiden Taiwan.” The word’s all over the place.

Gates: Iraq resolution ‘emboldens’ enemy

[QUOTE=Giraffe]
Seventy three. “Maiden maiden embolden?” we would ask. “Embolden!” they’d shout, joyfully. “Embolden maiden codpiece!”
Seventy four. George Bush hangs out with us now, saying maiden and embolden. He’s good people.
[/QUOTE]

Man, Giraffe, you’re really rolling in this thread. Just to thank you for the laughs, I’m resurrecting my old .sig line.

[QUOTE=born too late]
I never said I never heard of it, dipshit. My comment implied that it wasn’t very common. Way to make stuff up. Before you start putting words in other’s mouths, maybe you should check yourself.
[/QUOTE]
Do you even read your posts? Did you read mine? Did you see the word “common” in both of them? Oh hell, I’ll just point it out to you.

JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT HEARD OF SOMETHING (AS COMMON USAGE) THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT DOES NOT EXIST (AS COMMON USAGE.) Got it?

Your comment implied it was not common. You based this on the fact that you had not heard it, and did not expect to outside of renaissance fairs (along with the word “maiden.” Yeah, that one’s a real old timey word.) It is, however, common. Hence my statement that just because it is uncommon in your experience, there that is no justification to extrapolate that experience to the world at large. There are in fact, many things, things of which I suspect your philosophy is incapable, through general dissipation, of dreaming, that are as common as field mice in a Georgia meadow.

[QUOTE=Miller]
Incidentally, I do hear people use the word “maiden” regularly. "Maiden voyage, “Iron Maiden,” “Maiden Taiwan.” The word’s all over the place.
[/QUOTE]
snort

:smiley:

[QUOTE=Miller]
Incidentally, I do hear people use the word “maiden” regularly. "Maiden voyage, “Iron Maiden,” “Maiden Taiwan.” The word’s all over the place.
[/QUOTE]

Honey will you let the maiden.
This shirt was maiden in China.

[QUOTE=Giraffe]
George Bush hangs out with us now, saying maiden and embolden. He’s good people.
[/QUOTE]
If you start teaching him to use words like “prithee” and “mayhap” I’m going to hunt you down and emsheepen the lot of you!

Just another data point for you. I don’t listen to your fearless leader’s speeches, but I am quite familiar with the word “embolden”. The fact that you don’t use it does not make it uncommon. I notice you used “hubris” in one of your replies. Do you consider that common? I suspect many people wouldn’t.

I used to work in a town called Maidenhead.

Emboldened by this I believe I may quaff some mead.

Pub Joke - in the style of Chaucer.