Emigration questions aka Hopefully I will owe Eva Luna a beer when I’m in London

Looking to emigrate to London when my current teaching contact is up. It will be Tier 2 (General) using the shortage fields of math errr… maths teacher or sped umm… SEN teacher. The UK consulate in Denver does not offer visa services so they contract out with Worldbridge that answered my questions with form responses that didn’t really answer my questions. My questions right now are:

As dependents, will Mrs. Cad and Cad Jr. need to fill out separate paperwork or do I list them on my visa application.

As I understand it, I put away 2100 GBP* (more to account for fees) for support and don’t touch it for 90 days and then don’t touch it again until the visa is approved. Then I get a job offer from a school that has a certificate of sponsorship and THEN apply for the visa. If I have a job offer in hand in a shortage area, what are the realistic chances of not getting the visa? Do I need to worry about the quota?
*I will be opening an international account in GBP so I do not have to worry about a fluctuating exchange rate.

More general emigration questions. Will I still be a resident of Colorado? I won’t have to pay state taxes but can I still vote and can I (more probably Cad Jr.) be considered a resident for taking classes at a Colorado university.

We are planning on selling everything (cars, furniture, possesions except extra-special personal possessions) so we don’t have to pay for shipping them. Is that a good plan or am I overestimating the costs? We do plan on buying all new stuff in England since we are planning to be permanent expatriates.

Anything (besides getting the right ID chip for the dogs 6 months ahead of time) that I should know?

Shipping stuff by sea is not very expensive. I moved back to the UK last year from California, and about 60 boxes of stuff (mostly file boxes, but some bigger) was less than $300. (That does not include cost of the boxes, though, and getting it to and from the warehouse at either end.) Pricing is basically by volume, but once you are past the first couple of hundred dollars the cost does not rise at a very steep rate. You would have to devote some time and effort to boxing and labeling, but it is probably less work than buying all new stuff in an unfamiliar environment. I would say don’t ship cars, and probably not furniture, but smaller personal possessions are good. (Oh and absolutely no food of any sort, or the stuff will be stuck forever in customs.)

You may be thinking that shipping from a coastal area is all very well, but I am in Colorado. Well, I shipped from Los Angeles, but discovered that my stuff was actually first taken on a truck to Houston before being put on a ship for London there. It was all included in the price I mentioned.

I don’t know what you have, but some things you can easily buy in the USA might not be so easy to get in Britain, and others may be more expensive than you would expect.

Ther are ro-ro services if you want to send a car to Europe.
This guy’s story - http://www.import-car.info/shipping.shtml
Taxes apparently are lower if you owned the vehicle for 6 months and will not sell it for a year over there…

So the question is - cheaper to ship a car or sell and buy a new one there?

Braver man than me, I’m not sure I could handle being a secondary school SEN teacher/coordinator in London… I’ll stick with primary school.

Any idea what part of London you’re interested in working/living in?

You’ll find quite a diverse range of schools depending in where you’re based, from schools with acres of playing fields, to schools with a playgrounds on their roof.

The primary school I taught at last year in South London had a playing field big enough for a full size football pitch and separate junior, infant and nursery playgrounds, but school I did a placement for 6 weeks in had a playground too small for the whole of the junior school to be out there at once and they had to stagger playtimes, and they were less than 2 miles apart.

I taught in some of the worst schools in LAUSD so I’m assuming that I can handle London. SEN may be a little tough because so much of it is knowing the law and testing and sadly only a part of SpEd training is actual pedagogy. In the UK, my staggering knowledge of IDEA and the Vocational Rehab Act and ADA and case law and running an IEP meeting will not be applicable to anything I do.

I want to live in outer London so I can get around with my Oyster card yet not deal with the inner city rent however the pay for teachers is sooooooo much better in Inner London so I would want to teach there. That’s the want; the reality is for us it will be OMFG we are living in London and I’ll take any job that will let me get the work permit.

The plan is one family car for going up north like when I go to work on my dissertation at Warwick or Mrs. Cad decides the 8 of us (Me, her, Cad Jr., our 3 dogs, the dog my sister-in-law will gas if we don’t take him and the pembroke corgi I want to get) need some time in the countryside. Other than that it’s the tube.

You’re probably better off buying over here as we drive on the other side of the road.

And you can get a train to Warwick and many country destinations.

Saint Cad this has nothing much to do with anything but on UK tv there are often ads about how they’ll give you five grand to become a teacher - if you’ve not heard anything about this then you may want to look into it!

(p.s. you’re utterly mad if you want to TEACH in london compared to various other UK locations. To want to live in London I grok, beleive me. But many of the schools there will be evil)

(p.p.s. You should definitely read these two books about UK schools from a teacher’s perspective. They are accurate. Depends where you’ll be teaching mind, if you’ve been given a job at a headmaster’s conference school or something then ignore me! But at most schools expect to be given no respect whatsoever by anyone, either pupils or other staff.)

As far as voting is concerned, I believe that as long as you are a U.S. Citizen, you are entitled to vote in presidential elections will living abroad, and this is done via absentee ballot via the last state in which you were a resident (and I believe the exact town as well, although I don’t have a cite handy). However, this is for administrative purposes, and I don’t think that you will still have any other remaining ties to the State of Colorado for voting purposes (i.e., you will no longer be eligible to vote for governor, senator, congressman, etc.)

As far as being able to qualify for in-state tuition, this will depend on CU policy and Colorado law. I practiced law for several years before a career change, and I remember from the law school/financial application process, as well as from talking to colleagues, that this can differ greatly from state to state. For example, people I know who attended UCONN law school were able to qualify for in-state tuition as upperclassmen, merely by virtue of having lived in CT as first year students, with no other prior ties to the state. For other schools (i.e. UVA and University of Michigan, as I recall) you would need to already have significant ties to the state in question before matriculating). So as you see, this is really a state specific issue.

Bollocks. Birbalsingh is a self-promoter and used that book to promote her failed attempt at opening a free school by cozying up to Gove. Ignore her.

The golden handshakes for teaching are generally only available for those who enter training, not for an already qualified teacher.

Schools in London aren’t “evil”, either… Like any major city there are challenging schools and challenging children.

Hmmm… is it that easy to get a dog into UK nowadays?

IIRC many years ago when I heard about this, it took an awful long quarantine before you could loose the hounds.

Used to be 6 months, now you can bring a dog much more easily if you follow the rules.

Mrs. Cad owes you for this one. We were still presuming the old 6 month wait.

Regarding voting, it varies state by state. You’re a voter in whatever state you lived in before you left, so you’ll all vote as Coloradans. There are a number of websites out there to help Americans: just google “vote from abroad”. You might want to look at this for Colorado specifically. What you are allowed to vote for varies by state, as well; I can only vote for federal offices, but I’m not sure what Colorado’s rules are.

Residency for other domains works differently. I’m pretty sure you lose in-state residency for Colorado’s universities even if you maintain a home in Colorado, because the CO home needs to be your primary residence in order to count. Here’s Boulder’s page which backs that up, but you’ll probably want to contact the specific university ahead of time.

My niece moved in with her boyfriend not long after school was out (her ma and pa were not impressed), but waited until January to start college at which time she qualified for the state resident tuition because that state had a 6-month residency requirement. I see Colorado says 1 year, plus other picky details.

OTOH, if Jr is headed to university already or in the next 3.5 years, it looks like he’s ok?

Re. shipping vs buying, take a look at dwelling sizes and whether you may be interested in looking for a furnished or semi-furnished place before you decide what to ship. I’m usually a renter, which frankly I recommend at least as a first step, and in the UK “furnished” includes items such as cuttlery and dishes - shipping my kitchen furnishings from Spain to the US or Switzerland and back was cheaper than buying everything new, but it didn’t make sense when I went to the UK; I wouldn’t have had where to put it! Stuff you got from IKEA, I wouldn’t bother ship; Grandma’s dresser, probably (remember to fill it with bagged clothing).

Depending on your plans, it may also make sense to ship some stuff now and other items later. Many shippers will also offer storage services.

Wow, you are definitely going to need to live in the burbs for a garden that would accommodate all those dogs!

Inner London comprehensives do have their own vibe, for want of a better word. The work is a lot harder, but there’s more support and more camaraderie among the staff, IME. Bear in mind that travel on from the suburbs to inner London can be very expensive - if you end up with a choice of where to go, check out the travel prices first.

I heard somewhere that you still have to pay federal taxes even when not living in the US. Is this true?

Regarding the “stuff”, it would be fairly easy to get some really nice “new” stuff from charity shops (that’s second-hand) for next to no money, or you could get not-so-nice but very ok stuff from a place like Asda. They’re a supermarket that sell everything in terms of kitchen stuff too, and it’s very cheap. And then of course there is IKEA, you could just do one massive trip there and buy them out :wink:
Just some ideas if you do get rid of everything.

RE transport: yes, do buy a new car because driving with the wheel on the wrong side can be dangerous on our roads. Imagine trying to overtake a tractor (trust me, this will happen) without being able to see what’s coming from the other side. I’ve seen foreigners try to do this, it’s not a good idea. Get an English car.

Trains are pretty good, buy tickets waaay in advance and they’re cheap too!

I know it’s not the right forum to discuss this, but can you tell us how this came about? Have you always wanted to come here?
Good luck with all the plans :slight_smile: hope it goes smoothly and that soon you’ll be enjoying our fabulous weather!

You have to file them. If you’re taxed in the country of residence and that tax is higher than the US and there is a tax treaty (all of which will be the case for the UK), you will not have to pay anything, unless you’re earning quite high sums. But filing is still a major pain.