Engagement ring design opinions please

It’s okay. It’s not my style, since it’s too sleek and cold looking. This is mine, which I love. I’d rather not have a diamond, honestly, but my grandma gave my fiance her diamond and her mother’s diamond and I could hardly say no to that (plus, they’re antiques and I wasn’t contributing to the industry, since no one else was gonna get them and if I didn’t, I would’ve gone with garnet, tanzanite or something else). My fiance picked the setting/band out himself and I think he did a great job; I adore filigree.
But who cares what we think? If you like it and the other person (assuming you’re the one buying it for the other person) would like it, that’s what matters!

I think it’s a lovely ring, Folly.

Your ring is forbidden, zweisamkeit. :slight_smile:

[gandalf]YOU SHALL NOT PASS![/gandalf]

Sorry about that, duh! It should work now. :o

Hee hee. Excellent geek reference.

Your ring is very nice. I get into too much stuff to have a ring like that, though.

It does, and it’s lovely. :slight_smile:

I’m not crazy about tension mounts, I’m more traditional when it comes to jewellery. My engagement ring is very similar to this.

Funny thing you say that; I wanted a ring like this because the stone doesn’t stick out on top. I can’t stand that and know I’d knock it into everything; it’s flush with the surface and I surprisingly haven’t gotten crud in the filigree stuff.

And thanks! :slight_smile:

Link sez “Error
Page Not Found”

Is it a diamond?:dubious: If so have you considered another stone?

That’s more my speed, very nice! I like three-stone rings for the balance. The ring I bought myself since no one will buy me a ring is a central garnet with a small diamond on each side. I figured on the off-chance I ever got a proposal I would say use that ring anyway since I LOVE it.

I have a bezel setting- it’s also very good for not snagging and protects the diamond from bumps.

It’s a bit like this one, with three round cut diamonds, but the band is platinum and the setting itself is yellow gold.

It’s not very trendy, but I like it.

The OP’s link doesn’t work for me. I was hoping it would be one of these, from Boone Titanium Rings. I love these rings, and the stone setting ones in particular, but I have strange tastes at times.

I’ve liked all the others linked here, though. I tend to gravitate towards larger, less delicate styles because my hands are huge and dainty rings look ridiculous on me–on the rare occasions I find them to fit.

Hmmm. The links must expire after awhile or something. Here it is again I hope.

The ring will contain a diamond. This much at least has been made clear to me, and I can rest easy knowing I got that part right.

Still looking. I have some time for decision making. I’m moving away from tensions sets though now that I’ve learned more about them. The website hasn’t answered my questions yet either.

Yes, that is quite pretty, now that I am able to see it.

Its a pretty ring, if you like tension-set rings, which not everyone does. Is it at all like other jewelry that she wears? Do you have reason to believe she favors modern designs over traditional ones?

Can you guys go engagement ring shopping together, or are you expected to pick something on your own? Our engagement ring was very much a couple thing; Jim won the diamond (quite early on in our relationship, actually), and we designed the ring to go with the diamond together. I have plans for our tenth wedding anniversary to have diamonds added to either side of the original diamond (that Jim can pay for :smiley: ).

I guess I’ve pretty much revealed myself as the dude in this relationship. :slight_smile:
It’s not that I’m expected to do so, but I think I have a pretty good handle on her tastes and I would love for this to be a surprise with the ring already in hand.
Notwithstanding the fact that I think I’ve given the opposite advice on this very messageboard.

I don’t think the ultra-sleek modern look will work, although the ring I linked to caught my eye and I was curious about it. I think something with a pattern, possibly a celtic design, would work better. Although for practical reasons, I am still looking for a design that would minimize snagging.

A proper solitaire should not snag.

My engagement ring, a 3/4 solitaire, was originally set in 1908. It was 4-prong and the setting was coming loose, so it had potential to snag. We had it reset in 6 prongs and I don’t have issues with it at all. I work in a lab and am on/off with gloves all day.

I personally am not a fan of tension settings. You need to make sure the diamond you buy is appropriate for a tension setting. You need to find a diamond with large enough “girdles” to sit well in the setting. The diamond also has to be perfectly round and very clear to look good in that setting.

My friend has a tension setting with a titanium band. They went with titanium because of the weight of the metal, it is very light.

Go with your instinct on what you think she will like. Smaller hands generally look better with smaller designs, larger hands need larger designs.

We inherited a 2ct monstrosity from my husband’s family. If I keep it as an engagement ring, I doubt I will ever wear it, it is art-deco and not really my taste. We are probably going to have it made into a pendant. It is also an old European cut, domestically mined diamond, surrounded by old poorly cut sapphires, so it’s not worth all that much anyway.

See, this is one reason why DeBeers and it’s diamond industry is so damn evil. It’s not so much that they sell rocks at 10-50X what the free market would set the prices at- it’s the fact they they try to talk you out of buying “nasty old diamonds”.

Yes, “mine cut” diamonds sparkle a little less. But I have an old roman gold coin. It’s about 1/10 oz, and it’s roughly 10-12 ct gold. It’s rather crude and hardly artisic. Nor is it super rare. However, a nice new shiney 1/10oz gold coin will run you about $100 more or less, my coin is worth over $1000.

If you buy a diamond you could be supprting terrorism, tribal warfare, genocide or other nasty things, and you certainly will be supprting an evil Monopoly.

And, the naked untrained eye can’t tell real diamonds from several good simulations, either.

I have a marquise cut and am constantly catching it on things, including my eye one morning in the shower. It’s still my favorite cut, but ow.