Enterprise: The Crossing (spoilers)

Oy with the typos already.

:smack:

No, I’m not embarrassed that I misnumbered my previous post. I meant to skip 6. The number 6 is evil.

Actually, I did it by acident, but I think it’s kind of funny. Especially given how many times we’ve encountered the Number of the Beast in this thread.

I thought the marks on your forehead were evil until I saw you from behind. I looked down and it was only 999.

Kn(What a relief)ckers is ok.

999… That’s how many bottles of beer are on the wall, right?
hick

One more question (for now):

Towards the end, Phlox whacked Wispy Trip pretty hard on the noggin with that metal panel. But Regular Trip never even complained about so much as a headache or even the little boo-boo above his eyebrow. I just would have expected a bit of griping from him, since he’s certainly done it before.

Funny: After the dust-up in Hoshi’s quarters, Archer asked Phlox if things were under control, and the doc replied, “More or less.” A very Phloxian moment.

Maybe he’s been in enough Missouri bar fights to know why he has bruises and contusions that he doesn’t remember acquiring.

Well, it didn’t suck. But it wasn’t that great, either. The comparison to TNG season 6 is apt; it’s like an adequate placeholder installment in between better episodes.

A few nitpicks: “We cannot survive in space.” So how’d you get from that ship over there to take over Malcolm in this ship over here?

I was amused by how, at the beginning of the show, Archer waited until after the manta blob had swallowed his ship before he reacted in any way. No evasive maneuvers, no “gimme more from the engines, Trip,” nothin’, until the maw had passed well beyond the whole length of Enterprise.

Similar things can be said for his immediate leap to the shuttlepod after they were taken over. Then the minute they land, he’s flipping the door and jumping out into the unknown. Back in the days of terrestrial exploration, people like him drowned by stumbling into quicksand or died after drinking contaminated water. Oops!

I also frowned a little at the re-scaling of the torpedoes at the end. We see clearly that Enterprise is dwarfed by this other ship. But then they fire torpedoes into the docking bay, and the explosions, if scale is kept consistent, are several times the size of Enterprise. Them’re some powerful firecrackers; I guess they’ve been doing some tinkering since the last fight with the Suliban. Otherwise we should’ve expected some ineffectual little fire-blooms in that enormous cavern.

But those are nitpicks, I guess. There was nothing really wrong with the episode. I wasn’t really bored. I just wasn’t that excited, either. It sort of played out the way I figured it would play out, without any big surprises. It was interesting to see the actors do something different for a change (who was creepier, Malcolm’s “please take off your clothing,” or Hoshi, atypically cold-eyed, waiting for the right moment?).

I guess I’m waiting for the show to matter. The crew keeps encountering all these new creatures and civilizations, having adventures, and blowin’ shit up, and I think about their mission logs back to Earth: “Met another species. They tried to kill us. Didn’t succeed. Over and out.” What, exactly, are these characters, and more importantly humanity in general, learning from all of this? How are we growing? Isn’t that the whole point of the “going back to the beginning” premise? I don’t mean to complain, but the show should be so much better than “doesn’t suck.” There’s so much potential, just going to waste.

Oh, and the next new show, a Klingon trial. Woo hee. Never seen that before.

Quoting Star Trek 6, “Not everyone keeps their genitals in the same place, Captain.” :slight_smile:

Hey, even Cervaise admitted it didn’t suck! This must have been, like, the best Enterprise episode EVER!

Though there were indeed LOTS of nitpickables, as others have mentioned.

Klingons next week, eh? Hope there’s no Scary Fire involved in this one, cause you know how Klingons get around fire. Candy-ass buncha wusses.

Who says that Denobulans keep their 'nads in their crotch?

Excellent, Degrance.

Oh, no! Now taking bets on where Phlox keeps his naughty bits. Any one want to suggest a potential location?

My biggest gripe was once they knew what was happening how many freakin’ times are they gonna keep asking, "Hey, are you ok? Commander? Commander? Commander?"

Hello!!! Soul-stealing aliens!! Remember?!

And for me the episode was saved by having Archer blast them at the end alá Kirk! We don’t get touchy-feely until Picard’s time. Till then, I’d go with Sonny Corleon’s policy, “Why don’t we just blast whoever’s in the car?!”

:eek: You take that back!

I’m actually really looking forward to this episode but then again, I liked Voyager and am a hopeless Trek nerd so that doesn’t mean much.

Phlox keeps his testicles in a jar in a locked box under a cabinet behind a false wall in sick bay, sheesh.
Talking about good acting… Now that I’ve thought about it a while… MALCOME REED!

You see, I was thinking, “What a smarmy perv… I don’t like him when he’s possesed… He’s making me uncomfortable… I taste metal…” Well, what exactly was it that him so icredibly distasteful as a Wisp/Hoomahn? A whole lot of little things. The way he so obviously checked out the cutie in the lift, he kept looking at her body. When he was with T’Breasts in her room, his eyes never locked on to her eyes, they would slide off of her and then dart back to her. All the while, he was leaning in a little bit, as though about to initiate “First Contact.” All in all, a good acting/writing/directing job for his posession.

The biggest nit is typical for Trek, and I’ll say it again: “Why do non-corporeal beings, of any kind, need corporealness?” HUH? WHY?!?!?

Not just a non sucky ENT, tho… I thought it was well done. I’m going to record it Sunday and rewatch it to see what Hoshibabe did to make her seem unHoshified (besides the kung fu).

For some reason, the number N and I just don’t get along.

LETTER!

great googally moogally…

Wait, when Phlox told me “pull my finger” he wasn’t…OH MY GOD!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Okay, then, I will have to tell the “writers” to produce an episode wherein Phlox must go through decon so we can see whether or not he’s got a nutsack in the usual location.

Eeesh… Now I’m starting to wish I’d never brought it up!

I wonder why Denobulans (keep wanting to spell it like the orchid, Denobrium) have those wide mouths…

… and then I’ll shove my ovipositor down your throat and lay eggs but I’m not an alien!