Entourage on HBO

I don’t really have a point with this post, but I’ve noticed that there really isn’t any discussion of the show here. Figured their ought to be. Now that the second season has started in grand fashion IMHO, I think it’s safe to say that it wasn’t a one-season wonder.

It’s already become probably a top 3 show for me. Well ahead of classics like the Simpsons, Family Guy, Arrested Development and L&O these days. The only real challenge lately has been House, Scrubs and my probably unreasonable affinity for West Wing. Entourage is simply must see TV for me now, reason enough alone to warrant the subscription.

The fact that they’ve returned to the age old HBO mantra of tossing in a few gratuitous boobies each episode only raises the bar.

The start of this second season seems to be maturing into a show that actually has some depth. While part of it’s charm, I thought, was it’s lack of depth, the new plotlines seem to be good ones. It all began last season when they indulged in the “E’ as official manager” storyline, it showed that there really is something behind the friendship these guys have.

This year they’re going to show that the career isn’t always a piece of cake and show how actors get roped into making mediocre pictures just to ensure their viability. Great stuff.

ESPN’s *The Sports Guy, my authority on most things pop culture, found last season to be a “clock watcher”. A show that leaves you watching the clock, suddenly upset when you notice that it’s gonna be over in a few minutes at 8:24PM. But he also says the actors are pretty talentless. Honestly I don’t agree. Perhaps I’m just not “Hollywood” enough to be so arrogant/intelligent about the craft to be critical, but they do just fine by me. No DeNiro’s in the group, but so what, since when does that make it not entertaining?

I guess I’m just here to ramble and say how much I like this show and want to see if anyone’s with me.

PS - How hot are the women they get on this show!?! Daaaaaamn.

Sigh…if a mod could fix the typo in the title I’d be grateful.

I like it. Not sure why. I’m a 60-year-old woman living quietly in a rural area, so Entourage depicts a lifestyle 180 degrees from mine. There’s nothing (on the surface) that I can relate to, and the gratuitous boobies sure aren’t an attraction.

I think I like the way the writers depict the friendship. The guys engage in the usual putdowns and sarcasm, but there’s heart and warmth underneath, not cruelty or jealousy.

Good stuff, IMHO.

Wow, I guess no one is watching…what a shame.

No, not many people here are. . .and I got reamed out once for saying it was good while ripping on “Carnivale”, otherwise known as the “The Only HBO Show Ever That Was Worse Then ‘The Mind of the Married Man’”.

I’ve liked all of Entourage that I’ve seen, but I haven’t been a dedicated viewer. An interesting ensemble. Matt Dillon is doing a great job on it. Jeremy Piven is excellent, also.

Kevin

People prefer Carnivale to Entourage? That’s kind of surprising. Not that Entourage is a great show; I do enjoy it though. Carnivale just seemed like wannabe Lynch to me.

I watched it last season and enjoyed it all right while I was watching, but wasn’t blown away. I’ve kind of got a lot to watch already this summer (BSG soon, House reruns, Six Feet Under, etc., plus they’re running The Tick (animated) on Toon Disney!), so I’m giving it a pass for S2. I felt they developed some really interesting conflicts between Vince and Eric as well as Eric’s own ambivalence between being the taskmaster and just fucking around with the boys. But then they didn’t really do anything with it except keep it there. Anyway, it’ll be on OnDemand for a while, so maybe I’ll try again later.

–Cliffy

Apparently

You mean Kevin Dillon. Yes the resemblence is striking.

Well, I’m one of those who enjoyed Carnivale over Entourage until I realized the former wasn’t really going anywhere–not only that but it was actively making itself pointless towards the end (one character suddenly gained powers that made the entire 2-season-building epic battle moot). But Entourage just is what it is–a skillful comedy of manners and power about a place where the manners are all about power.

I adore Piven as Ari, too, although he’s only Peter Dragon with cursing. I’ve always loved the Hollywood-shark-type movies and series, and I don’t know why–it’s absolutely nothing to do with me and I would hate to be thrown into that mileau IRL.

See post #6.

Methinks you need a DVR, god I love that thing.

I caught my first episode earlier this week (thanks On Demand Cable!). It was the one where they smoked pot with the girlfriend’s sherpa (thanks Val Kilmer!). I thought it was great and plan to put on the “to watch” schedule. Plus Jeremy Piven is HOT!!

That was an awesome episode. It took me a while I realize that it was Kilmer when I saw it the first time. And that girl is my favorite Entourage hottie to date, its just so unfair…

From IMDB’s quote page. . .
The Sherpa: The Earth is moving. Did you feel that? Everything. All the time. Dimensions we can’t even see. Everything is evolving. Turtle, you’re a dove.
Turtle: That’s cool. Can I hit that, Sherp? Thanks.
Eric: You afraid of getting busted?
The Sherpa: Busted? I’m entrusted, man. I don’t steal. I heal. We’re not getting stoned. We’re getting honed. Reprobation officer’s one of my best customers. I’m a prisoner. I’m a prisoner of, uh, war. War on drugs. It’s all so negative, man. I mean, the Man’s most positive positive-tive is a nega-tive. It’s a mega-nega-tive. Right?
[shouts]
The Sherpa: Viking Quest! Let them be low. We are getting high. We’re not getting fucked down. We’re getting fuck up.

I’m watching the show again this season, too. I definitely like it even if I can’t quite put my finger on why. I love Jeremy Piven and that’s a surefire draw for me, so I don’t foresee me not watching any time soon.

I’m watching again this season too. I posted about it a few weeks ago and thought no one was watching either! I dig this show - it’s freakin hilarious. I love seeing all the cameos and I love Jeremy Piven - all his lines rule. Did you watch the most recent episode with the Playboy Mansion party?

The Playboy party was a hoot. “Pauly!”

Let me just say that the Ralph Macchio cameo was flat out genious. I was laughing my ass off at how every guy was making their way to this party. Can;t you just see Pauly Shore, the Karate Kid and some other 80’s flash in the pan living it up like that IRL?

And, lets face it, Playmates rule.