Evenly spaced text on this message board for ascii art

How do you force evenly spaced fonts on this message board if you are trying to show some ascii art? I only see variable width fonts on the drop down menu. I would think Courier New would work, but it doesn’t seem to.

[ code ] … [ /code ]

xx
xxxxxx
  xx

Incidentally, my original draft reply had “[ CODE ] … [ /CODE ]”. I used preview to check that it worked, and because all the message apart from the part in

[QUOTE]
tags and the part in

tags was in capitals, the vBulletin system converted the whole message into lower case.  I think that's a bug, but perhaps not one worth worrying about.

I’ve had that happen to me, too. All capitalized gets converted to all lower case. Definitely a bug.

ETA: Had to delete the brackets from your “quote”, else the coding is screwed up. Not a bug, but a good way to mess with other posters trying to quote you! :slight_smile:

hey   this  works  

cool. :wink:

One tip that I use is to click the toolbar quote button. Then change the word QUOTE to CODE. That way I know all the syntax is correct. I also do that for spoiler tags. Saves a lot of hassle.

Is it just spaces that cause trouble? Try a substitute like & # 1 6 0 ;
(I’ve left spaces in that code to display it.)

xx
mmmmmm

xx

Do NOT preview the message, as preview changes the space codes to spaces, then they disappear. :smack:

And you can’t see what I did with “Quote” either, as that blows the “real” spaces away. :smack:
Trust me; I just used the six keystrokes “& # 1 6 0 ;” for each space.

This is what we software professionals call “a feature.”

Thanks guys. That works!

it’s a bug when it changes user names and quoted text!

[quote=“Giles, post:3, topic:611348”]

[noparse]Incidentally, my original draft reply had “[ CODE ] … [ /CODE ]”. I used preview to check that it worked, and because all the message apart from the part in

It’s not a bug, it’s to prevent people from typing in a long post and SHOUTING the whole time. IIRC.

{|   |}
}|   |{
{|   |}
}|   |{
  { }
  } {
  { }
  } {

Thanks septimus, but that is a real pain in the fucking ass.

By the way, you know that “collapsing” whitespace is a feature of HTML, right?

example:
take this simple HTML document

<html>
<body>
<p>a                   b</p>
</body>
</html>

i.e. copy and paste the code above into a text document, save it as x.html, and open x.html in your browser. You will only see one space between the a and the b. The only way to get around that is to use non-breaking spaces, as septimus has said.

From HTML Documentation:
CSS white-space Property
value: normal
description: Sequences of whitespace will collapse into a single whitespace. Text will wrap when necessary. This is default

One of the issues with the code box is that it has a maximum height, which makes it impractical for larger pictures. It’s only 31 lines on my screen, and it starts throwing in scrollbars after that. There may also be a maximum width, but I’m not sure about that.

I could’ve sworn that there was some other tag that let you display preformatted text as-is, but I can’t remember the specifics.

At the risk of being tiresome, I’ll try to clarify again. I think it’s fine when a message like:

I'M SHOUTING HERE

gets converted to:

i'm shouting here

What is the problem is when the conversion applies to parts of the message that aren’t parts of the problem, e.g., when

[QU**OTE=Arnold Winkelried;14726699]... It's not a bug, ...
[/QUOTE]

IT'S A FEATURE

get’s converted to:

[qu**ote=arnold winkelried;14726699]... it's not a bug, ...
[/quote]

it's a feature

The “A” and “W” in the user name, and the “I” in “It’s not a bug” should not be converted to lower case.

agreed! :slight_smile: (except for the extra apostrophe in “get’s”)

Since this is a question about the Board, moved from GQ to ATMB.

samclem, moderator

Man, I spend all that time getting the coding on that message right, and I manage to miss that extra apostrophe :smack: