Ex-Republican strategist: Republican Party conservatism was always a lie

Seriously? This bullshit again? And by “bullshit” I mean “not true”.

Please provide a cite for the claim that Obama’s response to the bounties was to give them billions.

Are you forgetting that Russia is putting bounties on US Troops right now and Trump’s response has been jack shit? In any case, I’ll forgive you if you don’t vote for Obama.

Not true. Even Colin Powell says it’s nonsense.

Everybody thinks it’s nonsense:

Neither one of your articles says it wasn’t true, so please try again.

How do you prove a negative? Our intelligence agencies can only determine if there is evidence to support the claim and so far there isn’t.

Your articles didn’t say that it wasn’t true, not happening, or nonsense. The first one said it was overblown and the second says it may not have resulted in any actual fatalities. Neither one said it was false.

You claimed Russia wasn’t doing this and provided two articles that didn’t make that claim. The US intelligence services say it was happening. I believe them over you.

You also claimed that Obama rewarded Iran with billions of dollars for putting bounties on our soldiers heads. I don’t believe that is true either.

You also argued against a straw man from the article, claiming that the writer of the article thinks that the GOP is now pro-abortion (who is pro-abortion, anyway?), anti-gun, and wants to increase taxes. Arguing against a straw man is a pretty poor debating technique.

Unless you start bringing more substance to this discussion, I’m done.

If I steal your wallet containing $1000 and then I return the wallet with its contents intact, did I give you $1000?

Yes there are liberals who are pro-abortion

Democrat Presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter were both involved in creating the fund to pay victims of Iranian terror. Obama gave it all away.

I thought this thread was about the GOP, but I see that there is an earnest effort underway to change the subject.

Michelle Wolf is pro-choice, not pro-abortion. This is a clear falsehood, which I will say is down to your misreading of the article. Now, I’m definitely done.

Among the things that US taxpayers got was a multi-party agreement, backed by US allies, that Iran would not continue to develop their nuclear program. The victims had long ago been paid. The agreement was to prevent countless possible other victims of a nuclear armed Iran.

Nope…

After a lifetime of this Republican bullshit passed without notice I am astounded people have finally woken up. There are no fiscal conservatives, no cultural conservatives, no religious conservatives, there are just racists who hate the very notion of freedom for anyone but themselves. They would rather destroy this nation instead of living as equals among people they don’t like.

What does that make those of us who didn’t vote for Reagan, didn’t vote for Bush, and didn’t vote for Trump? Chopped liver?

If I do buy into the philosophy of conservatism - if I am against change by default - but in practice I don’t support Republican policies, does that mean I am not really conservative? I will admit that it amounts to a form of no-true-Scotsman logic, but that isn’t a fallacy if it is true. And by claiming that conservatives are largely hypocrites in practice, you are sort of legitimizing my opinion that I’m not the problem, and they are.

You don’t get to bash all of us at the same time.

~Max

There’s more to the Republican party than the presidential election, especially in closed-primary states.

~Max

If you haven’t voted for any of the conservative banner carriers in our lifetimes, then my first instinct would be to think about whether to call yourself a conservative at all.

But then you say this

[quote=“Max_S, post:36, topic:918812, full:true”]If I do buy into the philosophy of conservatism - if I am against change by default
[/quote]

There’s no virtuous reason for such a default. It might be a less outwardly hateful form of conservatism, but it nevertheless feeds the base principle of American conservatism: The preservation of the power of the status quo hierarchy.

It’s my way of forward-thinking. Before a change is made, I want to make sure it’s better than what we have already. In my own words, conservatism is this cautious aproach to politics which literally has the tendency to conserve the existing status quo.

I will abandon the principle in extreme situations, but I prefer not to.

~Max

Unless you are in the privileged group at the top of the hierarcy, America has never not been in an extreme situation.