Explain Perfect Blue to me.

I just finished watching it for the first time, and … . damn.

So, tell me, what really happened? Are we supposed to know for real or just accept it all as a byproduct of Mima’s troubled mind? And what is with the ending?

Mina went kinda crazy, her manager (IIRC) went really crazy, and at the end the manager was killed.

Of course it’s been over a year since I watched it, so I may be misremembering a few things…

I don’t think she died did she? I seem to remember her being in a psych ward at the end. Though I think the movie would have been better without the last little bit.

Watch it a second time and it makes a LOT more sense…It’s been a while since I’ve seen it, but essentially her manager is nuts and all the stuff that happens does happen in some weird way (hard to explain)…But like, watch a second time and whenever something nuts happens, ask “Where’s the manager?” and each time the manager is like, in a position where she could be the one doing it. It’s quite cool when you piece it all together once you know what’s going on. Sort of like Fight Club.

• Tsugumo

Probably the most amazing piece of anime I’ve ever seen. Really shows you what can be done with the medium.

What do you need explained, Dao? Tsugumo explained it fairly well. Though he did miss the final, evil twist that it took me about three watchings to get.

No, I’m not going to tell you. But I will say… my, you’re a strange pizza-delivery boy.
-Ben

Ah, most likely my error. Although I did like PB, it wasn’t something that stuck with me all that strongly. OOC, what did you have against the ending bit?

This film is very impressive, but it does not make complete sense. Basically, the plot turns on the remarkable coincidence that Mima and her managers mental illnesses intersect in such a way as to confuse the audience as to what’s really happening. So Mima is having a nervous breakdown and imagining a doppleganger version of herself at the exact same time that her manager to dressing up as Mima and trying to take her place. Once we find out that the manager is the one responsible for the murders, we’re supposed to forget about Mima’s psychosis (which included seeing a ghostly version of herself floating down the street, skipping from the top of one street light to the next); she is just magically cured by the revelation that she is not the one committing the murders.

Steve Biodrowski
http://www.thescriptanalyst.com

I just didn’t think the hospital visit there was at all necessary. I don’t know if I can really explain it well. In an odd way, I really wanted it to end with her waking up again with that same song playing. ~_^

I saw it again and it makes a lot more sense to me now. I love the shot with Mima and Rumi running past the mirrors.

Rumi was the pizza boy, right?