Explain this religious bumper sticker to me

Lots of religious stickers seen on this car, but the one that stood out was this one:

“When the devil reminds you of your past… remind him of his future!”

Can someone explain this to me?

OK, the name/title “Satan” is Hebrew for “Accuser”- he not only tempts people to sin, but when people are repentant & trying to follow God, Satan may then try to
defeat them emotionally/spiritually by reminding them of their past failures & taunting them of being unworthy of following God.

SO basically, when Satan tries to make you feel hopeless by reminding you of your past failures, remind him of his eventual defeat & doom by God.

This of course is assuming that Satan & God actually exist, since someone will come in & point out the lack of definitive evidence for either, as this is a board dedicated to fighting ignorance. :smiley:

Means the devil is going to lose in the ultimate fight or some shit like that?

According to some sects of Christianity, after Jesus returns to earth, he will defeat Satan, who will be cast down into hell himself.

Some sects also believe that once you pray for forgiveness, the sin is utterly forgotten by God and you shouldn’t keep tormenting yourself over it. That’s the devil, trying to convince you that you aren’t good enough to be a Christian and might as well quit.

So, the message is: “Next time you start feeling guilty for stuff you did in the past, recject the devil’s temptation with the reminder that he’ll burn in hell as soon as Jesus comes back.”

When the devil reminds me of my sinful past, and how much I enjoyed it, and how much fun it would be to return to those old ways, it’s good to remember that old scratch and his buddies will be cast into the lake of fire, where they will remain, tormented for eternity.

The devil probably doesn’t like to dwell on this, so reminding him of it hurts him; and that’s good.
By reminding the devil of his fate, we remind ourselves of ours, if we return to sinning.

I think FriarTed nailed it. It’s about avoiding backsliding into temptation by remembering what’s going to happen in the future.

It’s typical religious bullshit. Meaningless, in other words.

Clothahump. You’re still in GQ. Keep your answers in line with our policy for this forum.

Understood?

samclem GQ moderator

No offense intended, but this sort of talk, as well as the original bumper sticker, ranks up with good reasons to dislike that flavor of Christianity.

In a strict sense, yes, the sticker states that wagging Hell in Satan’s face is a possible response to his Dark Queries. Then again, simply reminding Satan that you’re protected by Christ should be sufficient.

But the whole conversation seems … arrogant and harsh. As if Christ is your big brother, and you’re going to have him beat the Devil for you.

And it brings in the whole reward/punishment cycle, emphasizing punishment over grace. The essential Christian doctrine is that the saved are just as wretched as the damned, including Old Scratch himself.

And the old ethical basis of classical Judaism isn’t about reward or punishment, but about ethical living, compliance motivated by the rightness of the values.

Wagging Hell in Satan’s face is just … silly. But that’s the idea conveyed by the sticker.

Doesn’t* Revelation,* or maybe it’s Dante, say something about Satan eventually being penned up or encased in a big block of ice or something along those lines?

Satansicle, anyone? :smiley:

Dante. Imprisoned in a lake of ice in the ninth circle (reserved for those guilty of betrayal) of Hell, Satan is depicted as a winged beast with three faces. Each face has a mouth and is chewing, respectively, on Judas, Cassius, and Brutus. Satan’s struggles to escape are futile: the beating of his wings fans and chills the ice holding him.

The Bible describes four different falls of Satan. Revelation 12:9 describes the second of these four falls:
1- From glorified to profane (Ezekiel 28:14-16).
2- From having access to heaven (Job 1:12, 1 Kings 22:21, Zechariah 3:1) to restriction to the earth (Revelation 12).
3- From the earth to bondage in the bottomless pit for 1,000 years (Revelation 20).
4- From the pit to the lake of fire (Revelation 20).

Revelation 12:9 And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

Revelation 20:1-3 Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding the key of the abyss and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold of the dragon, the serpent of old, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; and he threw him into the abyss, and shut it and sealed it over him, so that he would not deceive the nations any longer, until the thousand years were completed; after these things he must be released for a short time.

Revelation 20:7-10 *When the thousand years are completed, Satan will be released from his prison, and will come out to deceive the nations which are in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together for the war; the number of them is like the sand of the seashore.

And they came up on the broad plain of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city, and fire came down from heaven and devoured them.

And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.*

There is no “fall of Satan” anywhere but in Revelation. The passage in Ezekiel is about the King of Tyre, not Satan. Satan is not evil in the OT or in Judaism.

Is he not there already, though?

According to the OT, he’s still in heaven as an obedient servent to God. The NT hints that he’s on earth. Revelation says that he will eventually be chained for a thousand years in “the abyss,” then released, then tossed in a lake of fire (which is resereved for Satan and his devils).

There really is no “Hell” in the Bible as a place of eternal punishment for humans. That arises from extra-Biblical Christian traditon and imagination (with an assist from some of the imagery in the NT).

Thanks for the responses. I didn’t know that the Devil had a “future” as it were, so it made no sense to me. [sub]Eh, who are we kidding - the whole thing didn’t make any sense to me[/sub]

I believe that the translation is “adversary” from the Book of Job.

Wisdom 2:24 By the envy of the Devil, death came into the world.

Job 4:18 In his angels he found wickedness.

Does the devil do that?