Expressions I hate

So I’m new here. I guess this is the area for pointless stuff so here is a REALLY pointless mundane thing that bugs me
…at the supermarket they usually be have these grab and go bins with cold cuts and cheeses in zippered baggies…
They generally make all the weights the same like one pound each. I don’t usually want that much so I have to wait my turn to get my stuff sliced up. Why not mix it up a bit.
And then they put the super sticky price sticker right on the zip area so half the time I rip the zip part and have to re-bag it.
How’s that for mundane first world stuff?

Mundane-tastic.
(But i’d say that’s more of a “thing” than an expression)

Yeah…i was going to write something about expressions but changed my mind. Can’t figure out how to change subject line. This site seems cool but really difficult for me to navigate.

I’m gonna “jump” on a call. Edited: Probably too harsh.

Well, to make the topic relevant again (unless a Mod changes it) - expressions I hate:

• The other side of the aisle
  • At the end of the day
  • It is what it is
  • Hey, what are you doing in my house???

OK, maybe that last one isn’t exactly an expression… :wink:

Welcome to our playground - you’ll find your way around in no time. I’m old and decrepit and I figured it out!

That one also makes me growly.

Well, you know - at the end of the day, it really is what it is.

“You get what you pay for”

No. Sometimes you don’t. Some things are overpriced. Some things are a bargain. Caveat emptor.

I’ll agree that “It is what it is” is overused, but sometimes it just fits. Sorry FCM.

“influencer”

That is just SO arrogant, that a vapid stranger claims to have authority over my tastes. Doesn’t help that people who pin that label on themselves (instead of earning any actual influence by, say, contributing some actual value to the world) are generally entitled brats who think everyone should shower them with freebies in exchange for “exposure”.

“it’s neither here nor there”, aka “it is what it is”.
If you don’t have anything better to offer, why talk…

I get the shivery heebie-jeebies every time I hear “it is what it is”.

I’ve started saying, “it’s what it’s”.

mmm

“It’s all good.” No. It isn’t.

And to the OP, yeah, that sticker over the plastic bag seal is the absolute worst (of first world problems, anyway). Of course the sticker material is far stronger than the bag material so the bag nearly always rips.

I am not interested in anything that is “bespoke,” or “curated.”

“It’s always in the last place you look.”

Yeah, I’d be a complete moron if I kept looking for it after I found it, now wouldn’t I?

Iconic.

With the richness of the English language, all the media can spout is the same word over, and over, and over, and over …

Back to the OP with its existing title …

I’m not a big fan of gene expression.

[There. I said it.]

“There’s a reason for everything.” No. . .no there isn’t. It’s just one big fucking chaotic randomness without reason or sense figuring into it.

And the corollary: “God has a plan for us all.” Well then he’s probably the worst fucking project planner in the history of planning. I’d have fired him after a week if he’d worked for me.

“Most people are good and kind.” Only because they are forced to be by societal norms. We’ve had ample historic opportunity to see how quickly that veneer rubs off (see January 6, 2021, et al).

Touch base.

Whenever people tell me that they will touch base with me I ask, “Are you coming spikes up?”

Since it’s Australia most people just look puzzled.

“Get with the program.” Fuck off, who put you in charge? I’ll do my own thing, thank you very much.

That’s why occasionally when I find something, I’ll check just one more place. Just to prove that statement wrong. I don’t always remember to though, so sometimes it is in the last place I looked.