"faisez bien gaffe parce que moi j'ai mon super gilet jaune"

Anyone care to translate this bumper sticker I saw?

“faisez bien gaffe parce que moi j’ai mon super gilet jaune”

Google Translate gives “be careful because I have my super yellow vest”. Referencing the current fuel tax protests in France.
Or the fact that French law requires motorists to carry a yellow vest in case of breakdown.

Be careful, because I have my super yellow vest.

I suspect that a better translation would be “yellow overvest”, not “super yellow vest”.

No since it misses Super. Which can be super, or excellent or something like that. Just yellow vest is missing the funny part.

Be very careful.

ETA
Actually for the English, I think it is better “Really Watch out, I have my super yellow vest.”
that is better.

Yes, what Ramira said, both about “super” and about “very”.

It’s “Be very careful, because I have my super yellow vest.

Super is the part that makes it funny.

Yes. :slight_smile:

It’s well known that a yellow vest makes the wearer invulnerable. What extra properties a ‘super’ YV would have is open to speculation

“faisez bien gaffe parce que moi j’ai mon super gilet jaune”
Make good watch out; for what me I have my super vest yellow…
(“My hovercraft is full of eels”)

I would like that sticker for my car. I could raise a few eyebrows in these here parts.

It sounds even better if you do it in an Elmer Fudd voice. “Be vewy caweful because I have my supeh yewwow vest. Heh heh heh heh.”

Ah, also, faisez in the imperative is incorrect, it should be faites. A child would make that mistake, or somebody just learning French. Or Elmer Fudd.

Some poorly educated people could too. Not common, but possible. A google search returns results. Some parodies, but others genuine posts with this grammar mistake.

Tish! That’s French!

kiss, kiss, kiss

The literal translation is Make good mistake, because I have my super yellow vest. Make mistake is a french expression meaning Beware or Watch out.

I take it that it’s similar to military jokes about mandatory reflective PT belts?

Tangent:

I understand idiomatic constructions can go off in all kinds of directions … but I am curious about the origins of the French idiom faire gaffe à. Is it perhaps a truncation of a once-longer expression? Or is it something akin to “break a leg” in theater? Or something else altogether?

Faisez does not seem to appear in any conjugation. Could this be idiomatic or slang?

I was wondering if it was colloquial plural version of imperative- as in “you all watch out!”. Form my rudimentary French, don’t a lot o plural (“Vous” rather than “tu”) verb forms end in “-ez”? Or certainly a lot of imperatives do?