Fargo Season 5 discussion (Starts 21NOV2023)

From the Wiki article

It stars Juno Temple as Dorothy “Dot” Lyon, a seemingly typical Midwestern housewife living in Scandia, Minnesota, whose mysterious past comes back to haunt her after she lands in hot water with the authorities. Jon Hamm also stars as North Dakota Sheriff Roy Tillman, who has been searching for Dot for a long time. Other cast members include Jennifer Jason Leigh as Lorraine Lyon, Dot’s wealthy but stern mother-in-law, Joe Keery as Gator Tillman, Roy’s loyal son, Lamorne Morris as Deputy Witt Farr, and Sam Spruell as Ole Munch, a mysterious drifter whom Roy employs to help track Dot down.

Sounds like a great cast. I don’t think I’ll get FX just for this season, though.

Sounds promising, and would have to be better than the last season.

I liked season 4, although I thought it had a weak ending.

My least favourite was season 3 which had a great cast and some good ideas, but it was hampered with a bunch of self-indulgent nonsense (in my opinion), like the flashback episode with the animated segments, David Thewlis’s silly character, and Ray Wise as maybe the devil.

Jesse Buckley’s character made Season 4 passable- anything scene with her was fantastic. I agree, Season 3 is the weakest for me too and that is too bad because I really like Ewan McGregor. Season 1 is still my favorite though just rewatched Season 2 and it is better than I remembered.

Season 2 is my favourite (and I went to high school with one of the actors!). Billy Bob Thornton is amazing in season 1, but I found Martin Freeman’s fake accent very distracting.

It does sound like a great cast. If you have Hulu, it will stream there too.

Trailer:

We’re gonna look at it.

It looks like I’ll be able to watch it through SlingTV. I’m ready, and have it set to record.

There hasn’t been a season of Fargo that I didn’t like. Only the overly gory bits bothered me IIRC.

The first two episodes are live but I have only watched the first one which was excellent.

First episode is late October 2019 so the Covid madness should come into play later.

With the husband owning a car dealership and the wife being kidnapped in the first episode, I was reminded of the original movie, though this one played out differently.

Pretty awesome so far. Looking forward to the inevitable Home Aloneing and likely Yojimboing.

I thought this was a great start to the season - plenty of WTF moments along with great charactor setup - we know just enough to know we want to know more.

Really surprised no one slipped on the oil.

‘I just had a really bad day, that ain’t illegal, is it?’

Just finished the first two episodes - good stuff! Still laughing about the deployment of the air horn in the first episode.

Part of my brain still sees Jon Hamm as the Angel Gabriel, so the cognitive dissonance is powerful. LOL! Not that the two characters are completely dissimilar. . .

The sheriff and the MIL both making the same claims of ownership over Dot was pretty spooky. It will be interesting when the two of them finally come to blows.

The camera work is just lovely. The juxtaposition of these beautiful shots over this insane story is incredible. The perfect alignment of the pictures on the towel had me rolling. And why did I feel like the FBI folks weren’t, really?

Same butt, for one thing.

I’ll stream this when there’s more episodes. I’m encouraged people like it so far. I looved Fargo S1 - S3, absolutely brilliant TV. Hated S4 and didn’t even finish the final couple of episodes. I’m hoping S5 is a return to form.

Okay, getting weird…

I’m going to agree with that assessment - I assume we are to believe that

our one eared killer is ~ 500 years old thanks to a spell and selling his soul in an increasingly strange ritual?

‘I live here now’

I knew they were going to cliff hanger the end of that episode the way they did - and I still yelled at the screen!