Father abandons family in 1973. Returns to collect Sept 11th money on dead son.

This is an interesting Staff report written by GFactor. The report and this associated thread suggests that there are no cases in which an anonymous sperm donor has been held liable for child support. There are cases where a sperm donor has been held liable for child support, but those were cases in which the sperm donor was not an anonymous donor who donated sperm through a sperm bank.

Becasue to get that payout she signed a statement that ment she could not sue a long list people who may have had some responsibility in her son’s death. The payout for the 9/11 victims wasn’t to provide for them, it was protection against lawsuits for the airlines, and lot of other people.

Okay…but since I am completely unprepared to discuss the actual law, I tried to go with philosophy. Which apparently has failed. My bad.

I have the foggiest idea how this would work. They might have cosigned. I might have some kind of insurance, I might not. Damned if I know…I just signed what I was told to sign and moved on. I think I remember something about disability insurance so that if I’m disabled/dead the family doesn’t get stuck with my loans, but I’m not really clear on what the fine details are. I’m kind of counting on not dying, although I realize that might not be the safest strategy.

It’s not that you’ve committed a “bad” or failed, it’s that, even from a philosophical point of view, that consideration had nothing to do with the reason the money was awarded. It’s a victims compensation issue, not a surviving dependent (even a future one) issue.

Unles they signed for them, your family cannot get stuck with your loans. If you die, your debtors will take whatever assets you owned, and that’s it. Sucks for them, but that’s one of the risks that those who loan money accept. And, if they’re federal school loans, Uncle Sam will help them out, anyway.

If they did cosign, go figure out which loans they cosigned on, and pay those ones off first. :wink:

Actually, Thru the Blue, you’ve succeeded quite well because your last post made me think of something.

Now that the victims compensation has been awarded to the son’s estate, I hope the probate court decides the issue based on:

IF, (1) the son had lived and since the son would not have been awarded a lump sum had he lived, (2) the son would likely have supported only his mother in old age, if it became necessary, and (3) the family situation had continued as it was and father would not have shown up otherwise,

THEN, the father is not entitled to a dime, since he most likely would not have been around to be supported.

If there’s a god anywhere, I hope this is what happens.

Now that I think about it, I am pretty certain I was required to purchase disability insurance. Everything is federal loans too - I’ve strictly avoided taking out money from third party/private lenders.

Ha! Assets! Enjoy the 17 yr old volvo and cranky geriatric cat, Accessgroup!

5-4-Fighting : Thanks!

Update

Basically, not only was the guy told to fuck off, it was pointed out he was $12,000 in arrears in child support.

Being an egregious asshole did not pay off this time!

Sadly, in part, it did. The uncovering of the $12,000 child support debt came during “a successful bid to collect a worker-compensation benefit for Kenneth’s death.” :mad:

But at least he didn’t prevail here!

From the update article:

Ummmm, yeah.

Hopefully he hired some *really *expensive lawyers. :smiley:

Here in Ohio, a child named Marcus Feisel died after horrific treatment from his foster parents. Apparently Marcus was a bit of handful and they didn’t want to deal with him all weekend, so the foster mother, her husband, and his girlfriend (yeah, I know) decided to duct tape him inside a sleeping bag and leave him in the closet all weekend. In the middle of the summer. They returned and discovered he’d gone and died on them. Not wanting to admit that they sucked as human beings, they burned his corpse and then concocted a bogus story that he’d gone missing when the foster mother fainted at a park. The story was big news here for several years.

Following the trials of the foster parents, Marcus’ biological mother, a gem of a woman, who’d surrendered her parental rights several year prior because Marcus was too much for her to handle, filed suit and received compensation for his wrongful death. You know, because it’s the government’s fault that the child was endangered. The fact that she’d, for all intents and purposes, abandoned him herself, didn’t negate her pain and suffering. In addition to the money, she should have received a nomination for Best Actress for her portrayal of a wronged woman and grieving mother.