favicon.ico

I decided to use this little gimmick on my web site but it doesn’t work when I upload the site.
I know I have it done correctly with it pointing to the file in the correct directory
<LINK REL=“shortcut icon” HREF=“favicon.ico” TYPE=“image/x-icon”>
I remember reading something that if you go to a site before it implementing the favicon it will not show up even if you clear the cache and browser’s memory. Is this true?

Trying changing the path to an absolute one …

<LINK REL=“shortcut icon” HREF=“http://www.domainname.whatever/pathto/favicon.ico” TYPE=“image/x-icon”>

As to your question, no it’s not true.

I think you have the syntax wrong. Here is ours:

<LINK REL=“SHORTCUT ICON” HREF=“http://www.tagor.com/tagor.ico”>

Make sure the path is correct.

If you bookmark the site before the icon is there, you won’t see it in the future.
Delete the book mark, clear your cache, reload the site, bookmark again should make it work.

What is the significance of a file named `favicon.ico’?

It’s the file where the little icons that show up in your favorites list are stored. Here’s a little freeware program from PC Magazine that will restore them, should they get lost. FavOrg.

Just to clarify, ‘favicon.ico’ is a Windows / Internet Explorer feature, not supported by other platforms or browsers (IIRC).

Well, the konqueror browser in linux supports them.

IE5.5 and above (IIRC) and maybe some others.

And Mozilla, and Netscape 7, and Phoenix, and Opera…’

I would’ve posted this earlier but I couldn’t log in last night. Thank you, I needed to put an absolute URL rather than just the filename even though it’s in the main directory.

Another way to accomplish this is just to make a folder and save all of your favicons in there. Then, under each of your favorites’ properties, just browse to that folder and pick the appropriate favicon. Your favicons will remain in that folder, even if you clear your browser’s cache.

Another way to accomplish this is just to make a folder and save all of your favicons in there. Then, under each of your favorites’ properties, just browse to that folder and pick the appropriate favicon. Your favicons will remain in that folder, even if you clear your browser’s cache.