Favorite Alcoholic Celibrity?

Title says it all. Mine would have to be Jackie Gleason. This is a person who seemed to markedly improve after 10 or 15 drinks. His drinking and party giving nature was legendary, even Bogart seemed to think him nuts. However, this is just a poll, so no explanation needed if you don’t feel like it. Who’s yours?

Peter O’Toole or Dudley Moore the Perpetually Sloshed.

Aw, c’mon.

Dean Martin was the king.

Ron White. Yes, it is scotch in that glass.

He’s not really my favorite, but it almost seems blasphemous to not mention W.C. Fields in such a thread.

I love all the alcoholic celebrities equally, but just stopped by to point you to http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/

This month they feature both a feature on Jackie Gleason, AND Hunter S. Thompson. Bless you, Modern Drunkard!

You ain’t kidding. I saw him drain half a bottle of Johnny Walker like it was water when I saw him at Rupp Arena.

Awesome site. I’ll be up reading the archives all night! Good thing I have lots of beer in the fridge. :slight_smile:

Dean Martin

For fake drunks, you can’t beat Foster Brooks.

Liza Minnelli (parphrased from an interview – When some people drink they get sleepy or angry. When I drink, it makes me feel great!)

George Jones (sober now, and the lawnmower story is real)

Elaine Strich (sober for 20 years and brings up her alcoholism at the Tony awards)

Billy Carter (sober at the time of his death, but when he was drinking, he just didn’t give a flying flamingo)

Torn between Judy Garland and Tallulah Bankhead . . .

P.J. O’Rourke, hands down. I would love to drink with this guy.

Well, I love W.C. Fields

and Shane McGowan of The Pogues.

Edgar Allen Poe?

My favorite is actually Dino, but he’s been mentioned already, so I’ll go with Truman Capote when he was in a bitchy storytelling mode.

Another one for Dean.

From what I’ve heard, Spencer Tracey spilled more than Dean Martin drank.

Hrm. Fair enough. Maybe Tracey was. I honestly didn’t even know the guy was that much of a lush.

Man, wouldn’t it be great to get all of these folks together in a ballroom, open bar, big band, and watch events unfold?

If I were God, that’s what I’d be doing: Big celebrity mixers.

I’d love to be able to have a drink with Dorothy Parker. And afterward we could slide down a barrister.

:confused:

Either you want a threesome with an attourney, or you mean “banister”.

Either way, gawd DAMN that made me laugh hard! Thanks! :smiley:

One of the funniest writers ever, Robert Benchley let drinking get the best of him in later life. And James Thurber also.

The works both are pretty much unknown today which is too bad. For example, if you want to know how panic works read Thurber’s The Day The Dam Broke.