Favorite Mixed Drinks

Lately, I’m rather fond of the oh so PC, Irish Car Bomb

6 oz Guinness
1/2 shot Irish Cream
1/2 shot Irish whiskey

Pour the Guinness into a cold beer mug, pour the Irish Cream and whiskey into a shot glass. Drop the shot glass into the mug and consume post-haste.

My all time fave is a Melon Ball

Melon Ball
_____- 3 oz Malibu Rum
_____- 3 oz Pineapple Juice
_____- 1 oz Melon Liqueur

Sure, they’re a bit weak, but it only takes one to get me tipsy ::grin::

I always wonered about these sorts of things.

How do you keep the shot glass from hitting you in the eye as you are “consuming post-haste” ?

And what’s the appeal of mixing liquor into your beer? Wouldn’t it be nicer to drink off the whiskey and then chase it with the brew?

I guess I’m just old-fashioned. Barkeep! A bourbon old-fashioned with a twist, please, hold the fruit salad.

I was recently introduced to rum and tonic; it’s rather yummy. Another old favorite is Guinness with a shot of vodka.

I am a fan of plain old Gin and Tonics and Rum and Cokes. Midori Sours are also nice.

A modicum of care is all that’s required, but where’s the fun in a night at the pub when you don’t get clocked with a sturdy shot glass, or a decent left hook at the very least?

Also good, but the combo makes for a frothy treat, and it packs a wallop.

I think my favourite mixed drink (or cocktail, depending on where you go) is the Ammaretto Sour. I had one last night that was PERFECTLY made - and without that flourescent green bar lime crap.

• 1 jigger Amaretto
  • Juice of 1/2 Lemon
  • Ice
  • Maraschino cherry

Other than the traditional rhum and coke, I really love a good mai tai!!

2 oz. Rhum
3/4 oz. orange curacao (or Grand Marnier)
Juice of a lemon
Juice of a lime
Juice of an orange (1/4 cup)
1/4 cup pineapple juice
a splash of grenadine

Miked drinks of choice tend to be sweet ones.

Some favourites include: Malibu and Coke, hairy and fuzzy navels, pina coladas, mai tai, long island iced teas, and an occasional Dr Pepper.

Kahlua Shake

1. Several scoops ice cream (flavour of choice)
  2. Milk to thin
  3. Kahlua (to preferred strength)
    …blend and enjoy…

Duck Farts

1. 1/2 oz Crown Royal
  2. 1/2 oz Bailey’s Irish Cream
  3. 1/2 oz Kahlua

Almond Joys

1. 2 oz Vanilla ice cream
  2. 1/2 oz White Creme de Cacao
  3. 1/2 oz Amaretto
  4. 1/2 oz Coconut milk (more if you like coconut)
    … mix together, top with cherry and sip through a straw… Bliss!

That Irish car bomb sounds fascinating. May have to give that a try :slight_smile:

My current favorite would be a mimosa.

Basically champagne (good quality!) and orange juice. I can slug back a few of those with no problem.

Gimlet, made with good vodka, preferably Stoly or Absolut and Roses Lime juice.

Does anybody remember the recipe for a Skylab? It was published in a magazine during the late 80’s, and as I recall, it included Apricot Brandy and Blue Curacao (sp?), among other ingredients. They were yummy but I mislaid the recipe.

Amarretto Sours are good. They’re my usual fallback drink when I’m out at a bar. Fireball whiskey and Coke is pretty good, too, but my favorite winter drink is boozy hot chocolate- Bailey’s or Godiva or creme de cacao. Yum.

Oh, if I’m at home and have both mead and apple cider, hot cider with a few ounces of mead is lovely.

I’m rather fond of frozen mudslides, myself. Particularly when starting with chocolate ice cream. Mmmmmmmm.

I’ve long been a fan of the simple Gin & Tonic, but I also love most rum/fruit juice mixes.

I don’t know what the name for this one is, but one I mix for myself some evenings is hot coffee and milk, with a couple of shots of Kahlua (which I’m sure I’ve misspelled) instead of sugar.

I, too, love the Irish Car Bomb. However, it’s not exactly a Come-Home-From-Work-And-Pour-One kinda drink. For a quick after-work or after-dinner cocktail, I prefer:

1. Gin and Tonic. This is my default drink.

2. Manhattan. Mostly because I have an unnatural fondness for bitters (my recipe: 2 oz Jim Beam Black, 1 oz Extra Dry vermooth, 8-10 dashes of Angostura bitters, shaken with ice and served neat).

3. Bitters Martini. Basically, my Manhattan with Gin and only 2-4 dashes of bitters.

4. Whatever’s in the freezer and tonic. If I’ve got lime and tonic, but no gin, but do have rum or vodka.

5. Beer Margarita. A bottle of either light-flavored Mexican or lite beer, juice from 1/4 lime, and 2 oz Tequila.

White Russians are my current fav.

Vanilla Coke and Captain Morgan.

The nicest drink I’ve ever had was a bit of an experiment!
Try:
3 shots full fat milk
1 shot malibu rum

Lovely!

The lovely Mojito (a.k.a. Hemingway) is trendy these days but it’s still delish:

• sugar
  • mint leaves
  • lime juice
  • rum
  • ice
  • soda water

I’ve never made a nice one myself but some bartenders can do it very well. The trick is LOTS of mint leaves, crushed up with the ice. Yum.

Also a big fan of the Whiskey Sour:

1 jiggers sugar syrup
2 jiggers lemon or lime juice
5 jiggers gin or whiskey

Again, difficult to make properly at home … any hints appreciated !

I almost forgot one of my new drinks: 2 oz. burbon and a splash (about 2-3 oz) of the new Vanilla Diet Coke.